Rome Hotel - Excellent Location

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First trip to Rome ... looking for reasonably priced (under $200/nite) hotel that exceeded your expectations in excellent location to historical sites.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 06:57 PM

What time of year? It can make a difference.

Hotels that I think are well placed are the Portoghese and due Torri, both might be right at your price. Maybe a little higher if the exchange rate is poor.

Montecitorio Nazionale has a 3 night weekend deal that come in at about 166 Euros per night, which would work. Another excellent location.

San Pantaleo and Arenula are cheaper but also great locations for Rome.

I have only mentioned hotels in my favorite part of Rome, which is sort of bordered by Piazza Navona on the west, Piazza Montecitorio on the east, and approximately the Corso Vittorio Emmanuele on the south. Probably the area Venere.com considers the Pantheon or Navona area. Others may like other areas. The area I like, unfortunately, isn't one where you get a lot for your money.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 07:21 AM

We just returned from Rome where we stayed at the Hotel Teatro di Pompeo. It is literally 30 seconds walk from the Campo Di Fiori and about 5 minutes from the Piazza Navona. We walked to all the major sites from our hotel and took a local bus to the Vatican. Most evenings we wandered in the direction of the Piazza Navona for dinner and a gelato. The cost in August, including breakfast, was 150 euros a night. Our room was very clean, with AC, hairdryer and fridge and overlooked a small square. Staff were excellent - each morning I went downstairs for coffee, which I took to our room. Then about half an hour later we had breakfast . This hotel certainly exceeded our expectations.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 07:30 AM

SM,
what was the breakfast like?
I'll be returning to Rome next spring, and my favorite hotel the Santa Chiara might be edging a bit over my budget, haven't confirmed details yet.
I've read good things in the past about the Teatro di Pompeo, including the fact that it should be booked well in advance.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 08:50 AM

We stayed at the Teatro di Pompeo in June. I agree with SusanMargaret's assessment with one very minor exception. The continental breakfast was kind of dull, in a dungeon-like basement (whose walls were part of the original theater!).

If we visit Rome again we would definitely stay here for its convenience, rooms, price, staff. Incidentally, Toninno the concierge is a gem. He made a great restaurant suggestion, at Pietro's, for my wife on her June 16th birthday and was most helpful throughout.

If you book here give him Anthony and Carole's (from NYC)warmest regards.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We liked Canali ai Coronari on a charming street just off Piazza Navona. The rooms were clean and comfortable, and the breakfast was good. I think that the rate for a double is 150 - 200 euros.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 09:53 AM

We recently stayed at Hotel Portoghese near Piazza Navona. It had been recommended in a Conde Nast publication and we were extremely pleased with it and its location. Great rooftop terrace where you had breakfast and we would ask for the key in the late afternoon/evening and go up and bring our wine prior to going for dinner. Definitely would go back there again.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 10:13 AM

Check out the Hotel San Carlo:

http://www.hotelsancarloroma.com/

Great location, breakfast included, and breakfast delivery to your room at no additional charge. It's near the Spanish Steps and via del Corso and the Metro stop "Spagna".

Buon Viaggio,
BC
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 10:27 AM

<<Great location... near the Spanish Steps and via del Corso and the Metro stop "Spagna">>

This is a matter of personal preference, style, and taste. Many (half?) consider the Spanish Steps area their least favorite area of Rome. Others consider it to be THE place to stay.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 10:33 AM

Every recommendation here is a matter of personal preference, style, and taste.

BC, does the San Carlo have an elevator?
Is it at the bottom or the top of the Sp Steps? What are the rooms like?
thanks
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 10:55 AM

Elaine, it's at the bottom of the Spanish Steps. There are 3 buildings that comprise the hotel and 2 of them have elevators---if you need one, specify this at the time you reserve your room.

The rooms have marble floors, nice-sized bathrooms, and showers with doors. Some rooms also have a full bath tub. Not all rooms have balconies, but again, if this is something important, request one when you reserve.

And I agree---everyone has their own idea of a good location, and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

BC
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 11:19 AM

I liked Hotel Julia - http://www.hoteljulia.it

I found the location near the Trevi Fountain very convenient and walkable to most sites. The street is very quiet.
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 06:14 AM

We recently stayed in Rome.

For part of our time, we were at Hotel San Carlo near the Spanish Steps, and for part we were at Hotel Della Torre Argentina, closer to Piazza Navona and Pantheon.

Both were 3 star hotels and had their merits, but overall we much preferred the San Carlo for location.

We were on the 4th floor, no elevators, but did not mind too much the climb. Porters took care of luggage, so it was only us going up and down!
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 08:23 AM

We stayed at Hotel Parlamento early this year and it was a great location for walking everywhere we went. It is just off [about 1 block] via del Corso, roughly 1/2 way between spanish steps and the pantheon. It has a lift and the breakfast was good and was 80e in Feb for a double if you pay in cash ,they do take credit cards for 4 or 5 more a night. We were there for 8 days. They have a website....lynda
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 04:50 PM

If you're looking for proximity to historical places, consider the Pantheon area. We loved being there! It was easy to walk to many churches, fountains, the forum and coliseum since it's so centrally located, we popped into the Pantheon most days, and there are plenty of restaurants within a few blocks. We were at the Del Senato, which is probably outside your price range, but there are other well-thought of hotels in the area.