Rome Good Fri - Florence Easter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Italy in March. I am looking for practical specifics for the Good Friday Procession of the Cross in Rome and the Scoppio del Carro in Florence. I've found date, time and place information but would like to chat with someone who has attended either event for help on what time to queue up, best place to stand, etc. Thanks!
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 09:11 AM

I was fortunate to have tickets to all the Pope's events last Easter. You don't need a ticket for the Procession of the Cross at the Coloseum. I chose not to join the THOUSANDS of people who did attend. I simply watched the Pope's arrival on the hill at Via Nicola Salvi (overlooks Coloseum). It truly is a remarkable scene with most people holding candles. BTW, I'm returning this Easter as well with tickets for all the events. I hope the Pope's health keeps improving. Have a great trip/time. Mike
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Mike, thank you for the reply. I've hooked up with the Bishops' Office for US Visitors to the Vatican, Santa Susanna and Ufficio Scavi, for as many in advance tickets or reservations I could. I will check out the Via Nicola Salvi location. Have a good trip - Buona Pasqua!
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 04:54 AM

Use the search box above to find the thread "Florence on Easter Sunday." My account of our experiences of the Scoppio del Carro in 1999 is there.

Enjoy Italy!
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 05:30 AM

I received my Easter week's tickets both years from the Bishops Office of the US Vistors (Sister Mary Anthony) at ([email protected]).Their office is about a 3 minute walk from Trevi Fountain. Good luck and again, have a GREAT trip. Mike
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:19 AM

If you don't mind, I'd like to ask additional questions for those of you who have been in Italy at Easter since we are considering a trip to Italy next April and Easter falls when we plan to be there.

Did you find that the cities were way too crowded with tourists? Was it festive in an enjoyable way? Were you happy that you chose that time, or would you have preferred to avoid the Easter week festivies?

Thanks for your input.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:29 AM

I was and will be again this year in Rome at Easter to experience the religious excitemment. I thought the crowds were very reasonale, and there were MANY Americans. One of the main streets, VIA DEL CORSO was free of any traffic down toward the Piazza Del Popolo as it made it a very festive atmosphere.

The only drawback as I mentioned at an earlier post is that the Vatican Basilica is extremely crowded on Friday and Saturday because it's mostly filled with chairs for the services. Mike

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 07:25 AM

barbmike, what about other areas in Italy? Or were you just in Rome during Easter?

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 08:29 AM

Last year I was in Switzerland a week before Easter week. This year I'll be in Venice for a week, then to Genoa and Florence before heading to Rome on the 18th of March. The crowds should be larger in Venice than it was in Switzerland last year. Mike
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:03 AM

I along with two others will be in Rome, March 21 - March 28. Goodr Friday and Easter. I have requested Easter week tickets from the Bishops Office of the US Vistors (Sister Mary Anthony) at ([email protected]) I stated this in the comments.."We are requesting tickets to all the Pope's events this Easter season". and I cheked "Papal Audience". But the site stated this".. "Do not expect a response" and that tickets to Easter are not guaranteed. HOW do you know you have TICKETS??""
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:19 AM

I received an email from Sister Anthony Mary dated January 11th with a list of all the Pope's events listed. A "*" was listed next to each event which means I will have a ticket to each event. The only really hard ticket to obtain is the service for Holy Saturday evening which was UNBELIEVABLE. I went to their office and received all the tickets at once with each ticket being a different color. I had the great privilege of being asked to attend Mass with Monsignor Roensch at the Bishops' office chapel. He then drove me and a couple fronm Chicago to the American Seminary on the hill overlooking the Vatican for an extensive tour. It was truly a memorable week. I don't know how I can top that this Easter week, but I intend to try hard. Have a Great Trip!!! Mike
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 01:04 PM

We will be in Rome on Good Friday. Will the shops and restaurants be on a regular schedule or should we prepare for closings? By the way, I emailed the Bishop's office (copied and pasted) and it came back. Someone doesn't want me emailing Rome! It happens with all emails to religious locales. Could be I am not the right religion?