Rome for 24 hours

Search

Rome for 24 hours

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome for 24 hours

We are going to be in Rome for just 24 hours, staying in the Villa Borghese area from Saturday afternoon to Sunday noon. I have been there before but it's the first time for my partner. I want a 3-4 tour to give him an overview but have not been able to find
anything for Sunday morning. Also concerned about what would be open/closed on Sunday morning. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 8th, 2012, 08:04 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The Borghese Galleria is open, but you must have reservations. The Colosseum will be open. What did you want to see?
Old Aug 8th, 2012, 08:08 PM

New poster.

24 hours in Rome???? Ludicrous.
Old Aug 8th, 2012, 11:07 PM

No time for museums if only 24 hours in Rome. Walk everywhere in a loop starting with Spanish Steps, Piazza del Popolo, over to Tiber to the Vatican, Piazza Farnese, Campidoglio etc etc etc.
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 12:46 PM

Maybe take a look at a private guide to put together a tour that suits your interests and maximize your time on a Sunday.

There is a thread on Private Guides in Italy....we are working with Daniella Hunt on our upcoming trip. [email protected]

Daniella put together exactly what we wanted in Tivoli.She is highly recommended on this forum.

We are also doing a private food tour with Elizabeth Minchilli in the Campo di Fiori area...not sure about a Sunday with her, but it can't hurt to ask. She comes very highly recommended and has been great to work with.

[email protected]
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 05:02 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Make use of the electric bus 116 near your hotel that runs through the historic center.

http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=9
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 07:57 PM

Rasta guy: hey, don't be so harsh. Sure, 24 hours is almost nothing but it is 24 hours. My first stop in Rome was to have been just two days prior to a cruise. A flight delay and overnight in Frankfurt cut that down to one day. Yes, that's just a flicker of time, but that one day did this for me - it showed me that I absolutely positively had to go back. Up until that day, I believed in my naivete (okay, ignorance) that Rome was "just a city." Never having been much of a "city" person I never had much of a desire to go there. But after those 24 hours I was hooked. There are things that can be seen in 24 hours, and whatever they see will be fascinating.
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 11:32 PM

well said hanabilly
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 04:26 AM

I agree with not attempting museums due to the time limitations - there is so much to see just walking around! Personally I'd stay around the center of the old city of Rome, seeing things like the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, etc. You'd also be going by many churches with incredible art, though on Sunday visiting times are more limited. The Vatican and Coloseum are longer walks, but if you have the time they are worth it to see if just from the outside, especially the Coloseum. You can also get a good look at the Forum from the area outside of the north end, where visitors exit (Capitoline Hill?).

I also know somebody who hired a taxi driver for a whole day, and he took them to many of the sights, and waited while they walked around or toured. I don't remember the cost, but it really wasn't too bad.
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 05:33 AM

Another advocate here for doing a self-guided walking tour that day. No time for museums. There is so much to see and do just by walking around. Then you could plan for your next trip to Rome!
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 07:30 AM

By the time we got settled in to our hotel and changed into our comfy shoes, it was about 1:00. We headed out with our map and a few ideas. We saw the Forum first off. Naturally we hit it mid-day in the blazing sun. From there we went to the Colloseum and grabbed one of the tours being hawked in order to skip the line. It was actually pretty good. From there we took a cab to Piazza Navonna to save time (and feet) and strolled through there and then off to the Pantheon. There was a service taking place in the Pantheon, so we didn't go in, but stood outside in awe for some time. Then over to the Trevi Fountain for the obligatory coin toss (and yes, we've been back-for a week the second time.) Then on up to the Spanish steps just in time for an awesome sunset. Got a little lost on our way back to the hotel and managed to hail a cab. Had a nice dinner on a rooftop somewhere near our hotel and then went back to the hotel and crashed.

It was fast, exhausting, and wonderful!