Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome, Florence & Vienna: Travel Advise Needed Please

Oct 1st, 2013, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

I received great advice from this forum on our trip to Prague and Budapest earlier. Now my husband and I are planning a trip to Rome, Florence (including a side trip to Pisa), and Vienna later this month. We don't want to be too rushed, but still want to be able to see most of the major sites. We'll have 10 days total (8 days plus 2 travel days). I'd welcome any advice on itineraries and whether we're being too ambitious trying to squeeze in Vienna (by train potentially). I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts or suggestions!
Oct 1st, 2013, 07:28 PM

That is a perfect time for 2 terrific destinations---save Vienna for later.
Oct 1st, 2013, 07:44 PM

>>We don't want to be too rushed, but still want to be able to see most of the major sites. We'll have 10 days total (8 days plus 2 travel days)<<

OK -- you have 8 days -- but one is arrival day so it half a day. Then you need 1/2 a day for Rome to Florence. (The trip itself doesn't take 1/2 a day but w/ checking in/out, and getting to/from the train stations -- yep, Half a day)

So you actually have 7 days free - at least one of them jet lagged. You really don't have time for Vienna (just Rome and Florence will be a bit rushed but doable)
Oct 1st, 2013, 09:01 PM

Heed the above advice and leave Vienna for another time - too far, too much to see there for just a day and a half.

Rome and Pisa and Florence will fully warrant spending all your limited time!

You can avoid backtracking if you take the train from Rome to Pisa, spend a few hours (it doesn't take more) and then continue to Florence. For example, the 08:10 from Roma Termini that gets to Pisa Centrale at 10:56 - no need to change en route, goes all the way. The next direct one is at 09:40, arrives 12:49.

In Pisa you can leave your bags at the Deposito Bagagli window while you walk to the Piazza dei Miracoli (Miracles Square) with the beautiful baptistry, cathedral, and of course the leaning tower.

Then from Pisa to Florence it's only regional trains, no need for reservations, so there's no rush, trains leave often, just buy the ticket, validate it (stick it into the yellow box by the platform access) and board the train.
Oct 1st, 2013, 09:28 PM

Since you mentioned the trip is later this month, you probably already have plane tickets, yes? Which cities are you flying in to and out of? That will certainly impact your itinerary. With the time you have, I agree with those above who suggest to skip Vienna. Below is how I would plan your 10 days.
Day 1- arrive Rome
2- Rome
3- Rome ( Vatican)
4- Rome
5- Rome day trip to Orvieto or Tivoli
6- To Pisa then Florence
7- Florence
8- Florence day trip to Siena or Lucca
9- Florence
10- fly home

If you are flying into and out of Rome, then I'd reverse the trip and head immediately to Florence upon landing, in order to be in Rome for the flight home. You can see that if you added in a few days in Vienna, you would really be sacrificing your time in these two beautiful cities. Only you know how important that is to you.
Oct 1st, 2013, 10:34 PM

Florence to Vienna could take a full day travelling. By train is 11-12 hours, with unconfortable connections - just consider train travel unfeasible on this itinerary. There are a couple of flights every day, often at unconfortable hours.
Oct 2nd, 2013, 07:28 AM

You can take an overnight train between Rome, florence or Venice and vienna - spend your last few days there and fly home from there - but that does not give much time for the big 3 Italian cities - for lots of great info on Italian trains and night trains check out these IMO fab sources: www.seat61.com (great info on discounted tickets for Italy that can save a lot if you buy them early enough; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com - you will always be able to buy tickets for just about any train right up until the train but you can save if you book early and then not be able to change nor refund.
Oct 2nd, 2013, 11:35 AM

Ditto - just Rome and Florence.
Oct 2nd, 2013, 01:05 PM

10 days can easily be split amongst Italy's three tourist meccas - 4 days in Rome; 3 in Florence and 3 in Venice - that is not too rushed IMO but no time for Vienna or cut out some Italian days.
Oct 2nd, 2013, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much for all of the extremely helpful and timely responses! I truly appreciate it. I'm sure I'll have more questions as we start finalizing things. We last traveled to Italy 15 years ago, so I'm sure a lot has changed in terms of hotels and sight seeing options. We're taking our two kids for their first visit and hoping to make it a memorable experience for them as well. They're wonderful travelers and have a passion for history, music, and art. It will be interesting to see the sites through their eyes as well. Thanks again for all of the great advice!
Oct 3rd, 2013, 12:30 PM

I think kids would be enthralled more with Rome (Colosseum, Forum, etc - Vatican even than Florence and especially revel in Venice - taking boats around is a kick for any ages.