Between Rome and Florence?

Mar 12th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Between Rome and Florence?

Found this itinerary online for Spain and Italy.
http://www.vagabondish.com/trip-trav...ing-itinerary/
Is Pisa worth spending the night in or does anyone have other suggestions on what to do for a night between Rome and Florence?
Mar 12th, 2008, 10:27 AM
LJ

Well, I will take your word for the the fact that is a great itinerary-I looked the reference up but it seemed to go on too long for my paltry patience.

There isn't any need to spend a night between the two unless you want to: Florence and Rome are quite close. But if you are asking about whether there is more to see in Pisa that makes it worth spending the night, my answer would be it is not essential. There are many places I would rather spend an extra night in.
Mar 12th, 2008, 10:28 AM
JBX

If I understand your proposed itinerary correctly, you'll be going from Rome to Florence? And you want to spend a day in Pisa -- Leaning Tower, etc?

Rather than a "night in-between" Rome and Florence, stay that extra night in Florence. It's an easy day trip to get from Florence to Pisa via the train. Additionally, Florence is a strategic base, should you want to take other day trips from there. Siena is an easy 1 hour bus ride from Florence -- SITA bus line is an inter-city transport and their depot is adjacent to the train station. Another city to consider is Lucca; again, it's also easy to reach via the train >>>
http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html
Mar 14th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the great suggestions!
Mar 14th, 2008, 12:38 PM

pinkyfin,

On the other hand, if you are looking for a different experience from the major cities for 1 night, look into Orvieto. 1 hour out of Rome via train. Lovely, ancient Etruscan hilltown, very unique, incredible duomo fascade and frescos inside. Lots to do, see, eat, drink, and a whole different feel.
Mar 14th, 2008, 01:40 PM

Hello pinkyfin, when I saw the title of your thread I too thought of Orvieto. I think you would find Oriveto more interesting and charming for an overnight visit than Pisa. Now we did stay one night in Pisa but we had two months in Italy so that made a big difference. Here is a website for your review so you can decide if Orvieto is of interest to you. And if you are a wine drinker do order the Orvieto wine!
http://www.heartofitaly.net/town/orvieto.html

Wishing you a wonderful time in beautiful Italy.

Mar 15th, 2008, 03:07 AM
ira

Another vote for Orvieto
Mar 15th, 2008, 04:27 AM

Me, too, for the amount of time you have, Orvieto is the perfect spot.

BC
Mar 15th, 2008, 04:37 AM

Hi pinkyfin,

another point not mentioned by othe posters is that PISA is NOT on the way between Rome and florence but is actually north-west of florence.

the other suggestions are much more convenient as in between stopping -off points.

regards, ann