ROME BEACHES - HELP

Search

ROME BEACHES - HELP

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ROME BEACHES - HELP

We had to cancel our trip to Sardegna and we are extending our stay here in Sorrento - Capri 2 extra nights. But now I have 2-3 nights we could stay at a beach before Wednesday when we have to be in Rome. Unfortunately we can't arrive to our Rome apt as it's booked before we get there.

Any suggestions where we can lay low by the water for a couple of days before going to Rome? We are kind of tired of gravel or stone beaches, we want sand! or Is it going to Venice even possible, or off the wall or worth it?
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 03:13 PM

try anzio great sandy beaches and shacks and umbrellas to rent. i have no idea what month you are talking about but i would get on it fast as these hotels etc fill up fast for the summer months
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 05:12 PM

She is there now.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 06:53 PM

I have never bothered with staying on a beach in Italy but from everything I have heard from all the Italians I know in Italy there are fees to use the beaches etc., as peter said. I have always understood the free beaches are not very pleasant and quite small. I hope you find something that is appealing for the extra days you and your children suddenly have, pookimimi. It is good to see your post.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 07:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Don't know how long you have your existing apartment in Rome booked for but... maybe you could find another apartment on the internet that currently is not rented for the 2-3 nights to start your stay in Rome earlier.

How has the trip been so far?
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 07:30 PM

Sperlonga. Gaeta.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Original Poster

Hi everybody,

We are at The Minerva and being literally spoiled with how nice the Hotel is considering some others we've stayed for almost the same price.
Trip has been nice so far, a lot of traveling without major incidents.

The scariest the last day in Manarola there was a train strike so we were stranded there with no where to stay, we were leaving to Sorrento that day. Mia decided to go swimming while we were waiting for someone who said she would host us for the night.
I followed her to where everybody swims and I slipped and flew on the air, thankfully I fell seated first and then I went back and hit my head on the rocks.

I was in shock, hot and mostly because out of 200+ people that were there NOBODY came to check on me. I stayed seated for a while and when I thought I was okay to climb the street/dock up I asked Mia to guide me. Nico was pissed that I've listened about going swimming and got injured.
I wont elaborate too much as what happened next wasn't too pleasant, the tingle of my arms, the pounding headache, etc. but I ended renting a 50 euros taxi from La Spezia (that a lady called for us while we waited on a side street like bums) to take us to the Pronto Socorro there and spent the night by the train station.

I laid on a hospital bed on a hallway while italian doctors and nurses loudly talk, wondering if this was my last day as Natasha Richardson after an stupid fall. After about 1 hr they checked that I was okay, called a Neurologist who did physical tests and sent me home, or to the street, as Nico and Mia waited in the shady waiting room with all our luggage.
We ended up paying for an hotel by the station with no air conditioning and a 100 weather, just terrible.

Since getting to Sorrento everything has been better.
We've enjoyed the Hotel, not too much the going up and down Via Capo high street overlooking the bay and Sorrento, is the Street that Buses take to Massa Lubrense and Amalfi Coast, very busy street with scooters, cars, buses and just a one person sidewalk only one side of street.

We've done a lot of walking here going to the Marinas is a long walk from here and you take the boat from and to Amalfi, Capri. Today I think we are going to Herculeum and maybe hitting Pompeii on our way back to finish what we started Monday, yesterday we spent the day in Positano.

I will try to put some pics at some point. The trip is going fast I can't believe that Italy is half over already.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Original Poster

The choices of another apt in Rome is feasible, I haven't checked if there is one close to where we have the one in Plaza Navona Wednesday, we just got the S*&^% usb stick that I bought 2 weeks ago, to work.

The other 2 choices are staying here until Wednesday they say they can host us, also I have someone who has an apt in Capri for 3 nights, but is a little more that what we pay here.

Nico is sick of traveling and we are spending too much time walking and riding something to get to places, so maybe staying here as a base for more day trips is the way.