Rome area

Sep 13th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Rome area

Could someone who is familiar with Rome please tell me if this street Vicolo del Giglio in Campo area is anywhere near a metro or if metro is needed there.
Thanks
Sep 13th, 2007, 01:42 PM

There is no Metro station anywhere in the historic center of Rome; the closest are Spagna and Barberini. In my opinion, the Metro is only of limited use in Rome. Vicolo del Giglio is close to Largo di Torre Argentina, a major hub where you can catch a bus to almost anywhere you would want to go. Many points of interest are within walking distance.
Sep 13th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Zerlina. Would you consider this a safe area for renting an apartment for 2 people.
Sep 13th, 2007, 01:48 PM

I agree with Zerlina. While I am usually all about public transportation, Rome's metro system is seriously lacking. Its exceedingly crowded, hot, and doesn't go to many places. We always walk or take the bus. Rome is a large city but its historic center is surprisly compact.

Anywhere in the Campo area is generally good. I'm not familiar with the actual street but if its near the Largo di Torre Argentina you will be fine. While you are there check out the cats at the cat sanctuary at Torre Argentina!

Tracy
Sep 13th, 2007, 01:57 PM

I'm another one who never takes the Metro in Rome. I always walk or take the bus. That's a good location and should be perfectly safe. Also close to Trastavere if you want to check out that area.
Sep 13th, 2007, 04:34 PM

The street is a very small one that goes off the side of Piazza Farnese, right near the Campo de' Fiori. It looks like a great location, very central and definitely safe

I agree with everyone else you'll want to walk or take the bus.
Sep 13th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reassurances. Now could anyone tell me approx. how far to the Colloseum, and spanish steps, and Pantheon.from this location. I have been looking on maps but am having a hard time to get a feel for Rome.
Sep 13th, 2007, 06:03 PM

Approximate walking time from Campo dei Fiori to Colosseum: 20 min, Pantheon: 10 min. Piazza di Spagna: 30 min.
Piazza Navona: 10 min.
This is a great location.
Sep 15th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the distances Palantino