Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Berlin Restaurant Recos for Thin Socialite?

Sep 12th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Hello, sweetie darling. Do any of you fashion slags have any restaurant recommendations for Belin, especially in the area of south Mitte that borders Friedrichstrasse/Spree? Love Chinese, South Indian, Turkish, and Thai food. French is my fav!!!

The Great and Powerful Thingorjus
Sep 12th, 2007, 01:50 PM
DAX

If French is your favorite then try these restaurants with Michelin stars:

LORENZ ADLON at the historical 5 star
Hotel Adlon just a block west of Friedrichstrasse along the famous Unter den Linden.
It is an uptown French dining with a great view of the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin Mitte; if you reserve a table ask for a table close to the big window facing the gate. Order ala carte if you want to stay below 100 euro.
www.hotel-adlon.de/en/bars/index.htm?id=447

FISCHERS FRITZ at the 5 star Regent hotel( a block east of Freidrichstr, at the Gendarmenmarkt) A classic elegant seafood gourmet restaurant in the Gendarmenmarkt area, Berlin Mitte. Lunch menu starts at 16 euro while a 4 course dinner menu 85 euro.
http://tinyurl.com/22nxa7.

Plenty of other good restaurants without stars: One popular place but somewhat low key is Borchardt just off Friedrichstr close to the french dept store. You'll find a popular less expensive Japanese sushi restauranr next door to Borchardt. Lutter Wegner is a classic chain winebar/restaurant at the Gendarmenmarkt(a block east of Friedrichstr).

The most attractive Indian restaurant is Mirchi in the north Mitte border with Prenzlauerberg.
Sep 12th, 2007, 02:05 PM
DAX

Forgot to mention that Borchardt is also French(& refined German), lunch menu is a bargain but not always the best choices, usually filled with tourists and business people, so service can suffer at times.

In case you are in a liquid diet, here's a couple places:

Victoria Bar: www.victoriabar.de

Newton Bar on Charlottenstr. From the outside, it looks like a conservative bar with buttoned red leather chairs until you enter and see the large pictures on the wall. www.newton-bar.de/
Sep 12th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Socialites like cheap places, sweetie darling. That means more to spend at Armani. As long as the food is good, bring on the cheapies!!!!!!!!
Sep 12th, 2007, 02:10 PM

Thin:

If you don't mind a few extra calories with a truly unique and delicious dish, you may agree to try Italian. We did, and loved it. On Fasenenstrasse (where the Bristol Kempinski is on the corner of Ku'dam and Fasenenstrasse), just a block south is Ristorante Via Condotti...their specialty dish is well worth a dining evening...pasta, grated cheeses and herbs all flamb'ed in cognac at your table...very friendly and entertaining wait staff, especially the Italian owner who seemingly loves to be in on the action.

Stu T.
Sep 12th, 2007, 03:23 PM
DAX

For a lesser budget in the southern Mitte, probably the Japanese restaurant on Franzoeschischestrasse next door to Borchardt is a good bet. I don't eat sushi but that place is really popular with the downtown crowd, I believe the lunch menu was 8-9 euro.

Further away from Mitte is Vapiano an Italian new restaurant concept. One in Potsdamerplatz close to the Sony center, and another branch is in the first floor of Hotel Concorde in West Berlin just south of Swissotelat the corner of Ausburgerstr, Joachimtallerstr & Ku'dam. 7-9 euro dishes lunch or dinner.

Prenzlauerberg is another area where you'll find cheaper but trendier food. Just hunt along Oranienburgstr starting with Mirchi going west toward Rosenthalerstr where there is a Spanish restaurant with 7-9 euro dishes all day. Gugelhof on Anna Kolwitzerplatz is a good value Alsatian restaurant in Prenzlauerberg.
Sep 12th, 2007, 03:38 PM

Thin: My wife reminds me that another sort of elegant (maybe not enuf for a Gorjus Thin Socialite) resto is also on the corner of Fasenenstrasse and
Kantstrasse...that would be north of the Ku'dam and the Kempinski...Otenthal's...quiet, nicely decorated and excellent menu choices that would be Austrian/German. We liked it and went back a second time.

Stu T.
Sep 12th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you.

I just booked my flight and hotel for Berlin!!

What street in Berlin is the equivalent of Houston/Spring Street in Soho (NYC)? I am looking for that kind of glamour--a kind of Prada, Sur la Table, Kate's Paperie meets Balthazar.
Sep 13th, 2007, 12:21 AM
DAX

I am not sure that there is anything like that in Berlin. If your main purpose is to shop, Berlin will disappoint you, but it'll impress you in other ways. Nevertheless, I think you're still gonna shop & complain like my wife always does as it is instinctive.

Friedrichstrasse in the Mitte has a few common brand stores like Boss, Stefanel. My wife who used to be in the industry complains that even the Galleries Lafayette is terrible. There is an all marble dept store complex with expensive funky german shops in it.

The higher end designer shops are mostly on the western end of Ku'damm (west of Uhlandstr), though that part of Kudamm looks non descript like a stuffy german Champs Elysees. There is Kadewe on Tauentzienstr by Wittenbergplatz which is a smaller version of Harrods.

Prenzlauerberg is supposed to be the design artist area but not in fashion. It may look somewhat like SOHO but without the stores. There is a few funky commerce along Oranienburgstr & Rosenthalerstr.

Sep 13th, 2007, 03:22 AM

We always thought Duesseldorf was Germany's best shopping city.
Sep 13th, 2007, 05:43 AM

Sounds like you're looking for Prenzlauerberg. Would never remember the name of the place, but we lingered over a lovely brunch at a corner place with sidewalk tables. There was a buffet with wild rice salads, cous cous, fruit, that kind of thing. Definitely like Spring Street or any number of bourgeois bohemian haunts throughout the world. You'd like it.
Sep 13th, 2007, 06:13 AM

How's the food at VAU these days? It had one Michelin star when I ate there in 2003.

Quartier 206 on Friedrichstr. is a Tsao-McKwon building. The architecture is actually pretty interesting. Apparently there's now (?) a Quartier 207 that's a Jean Nouvel building.

Actually the architecture in Berlin will probably be a good draw -- I think that Pei and Foster are represented here, and Koolhaas designed the Dutch embassy. Even the Russian embassy on Under den Linden looks interesting. On Pariser Platz, Gehry is represented, among others.
Sep 13th, 2007, 07:22 AM

We had a very nice Singaporean/Malay meal at Mirchi across from the Arcotel Velvet on Oranienburger Strasse a half block off Friedrichstrasse. Public transport goes just about to the door.

Though you did not mention Italian, our last night in Berlin we had a fun farewell dinner at Cavallino Rosso on Hannovereschestrasse in the same vicinity.
Sep 13th, 2007, 07:37 AM
DAX

<<brunch at a corner place with sidewalk tables>>
That would be Hackeshermarkt where Oranienburgerstr meets Rosenthalerstr. Across the street is Hackesherhoefe which is a series of art deco buildings turned into a shopping & entertainment center including a movie theatre & Anne Frank museum.

Another place to eat in Prenzlauerberg is at the Kollwitzplatz just a few blocks northeast. There are few restaurants (including Gugelhof) filled with younger crowd, unfortunately some have closed down. If you walk north from Kollwitzplatz on Husemannstr you'll find SATURDAY on the left (southwest corner where Srezkisstr meets Husemannstr). It's a local place where they serve a huge buffet brunch for 7 euro; it was filled with local Berliners when we were there. The most interesting item for me was Vorpommernsuppe which is a white pear soup with spaetzle like pasta.

In case you're looking for a super cheap breakfast, I walked past the Boesenbubben(bad boys) on Marienstrasse right off Albrechtstr just north of Schiffbauerdamm(off Friedrichstr). I couldn't believe it but the breakfast offer was 2.50 euro at this small local cafe.

Sep 13th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone know where I can get some blue toile de' jouy throw pillows in Berlin for my sofa? There must be some nice design/home stores in the city that you can recommend.

I JUST LOVE Meissen. Any good places that sell that kind of stuff?
Sep 13th, 2007, 02:13 PM

If you're interested in a brief trip report on Berlin, here's mine from July 07.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...n_name=schuler
Sep 14th, 2007, 03:01 AM

Now, Thin, I did tell you to go to Dresden, which is on Meissen's doorstep. But Berlin isn't that far away either, why don't you day trip to Meissen and tour the factory? The train ride is 3 hours (change in Dresden), but Meissen is worth a few hours of your time.
The shop in Berlin is on Charlottenstrasse 34.

http://www.meissengalerie.de/
Sep 14th, 2007, 11:20 AM
hsv

If you indeed want to save some money for shopping and want to opt for Asian food, two joints in Mitte jump to mind:

Pan Asia is a sparsely (but sort of stylishly) decorated place at Hackesche Hoefe.
The food is Asian (as one would expect from the name) and is influenced by Thai, Vietnamese and Chinese cuisines. Some Sushi is also available.
While the seats can be a bit hard, the location and the food are not bad at all and prices (as everywhere in Berlin) are rather reasonable.

http://www.panasia.de/restaur/restaur1.htm

Monsieur Vuong is not far away on Alte Schoenhauser Str. and has been quite popular with the city's in-crowd for a while. The menu is very small and features Vietnamese cuisine. It gets full quite regularly, but they do not take reservations.

http://www.monsieurvuong.de/

Asian Cross-over in a more upscale environment (and at higher prices) can also be found at Vox in the beautiful Grand Hyatt Hotel on Potsdamer Platz.

http://www.vox-restaurant.de/index.html

If you want big brand shopping, Kurfuerstendamm ("Ku'damm") in West Berlin is your best bet. The sidestreets (like Bleibtreustr, Uhlandstr., Leibnizstr., Schlueterstr. etc.) offer some small shops also worth a look.
It is here that you can find Restaurant Nu, also offering Asian Cross-Over in quirky or modern surroundings. It is not at all bad and comes at rather cheap prices.

http://www.nu-eat.de/

Sep 15th, 2007, 02:07 AM

Thin, are you going to check out the new Uli Richter exhibition at the Kulturforum Potsdamer Platz? The show closes in early Jan. 2008.
Sep 15th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Uli Ritcher?? Who dat?? Of course, I will do an investigation as I am very excited about the up-to-the-minute art scene in Berlin.

Thanks to all you travel whores for your suggestions.

The Great and Powerful Thingorjus

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO