Old Mar 8th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
collesium area

Is this a decent place to rent an apt.?

How far from most sites? thankx, Tania
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 04:07 PM

I have visited Rome 8 times and have stayed in the Hotel Palatino on Cavour street each time. I like the location because it is almost in the heart of ancient Rome - a few blocks from the Colosseum, not too far from the Pantheon and close to metro stops.

I would think that this would be a great spot to live for a while.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 06:46 AM

We visited the apartment of a couple that live about 5 blocks from the Colloseum. I liked the area.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 10:47 AM

weve rented in both Caelio and Monti and both are excellent, liveable areas I would stay in again. Romans live there so there are food shops, etc. Easy access all around Rome via the metro, trams, buses and foot. (the Colosseo is a bit of a transit hub) You are right next to the forum, the Domus Aurea central rome is not huge that you cant walk right over to the Tiber or down to the Pantheon if you are healthy and so inclined.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Fabulous feedback. We think we'll give it a go. Thanks, jTania
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 03:31 PM

It's my first choice for staying in Rome-you'll see why at dusk, when the sunlight starts coloring the ancient monuments a pinkish color-truly astounding-and then, there's nothing like the Coliseum at night- all lit up-restaurants, nightlife in this area-excellent-just a tad less touristy, particularly at night.

Via Cavour is great-as is Via Serpenti-- everything you want is in and around here-excellent restaurants-FISH, -International Seafood House, excellent seafood, and the ICE CLUB, on Via Cavour-all ice bar and ice tables where you sip iced vodkas-pretty cool!

And then there's Santa Maria Maggiore and Esquilino area, just up the street from Cavour-where the frescoes on the front are lit up at night, stunning, to sit across the street in a cafe and stare, in that quiet neighborhood-nothing like it. You get a sense of the real Rome, rather than just following the tourist hoards around from Campo dei Fiori/Pantheon/Navona area. Love this area-and excellent apartments here too-I walked to all the sites, or caught a bus to Navona down there on the corner of via Forii Imperiali when I was lazy.