Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Overnight train Venice to Montreux, Switz. - does this exist?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found some old threads refering to an overnight train for this route (#358), but cannot find any current info. If there is an overnight option on this route what is the best site to reserve sleeping accommodations?

Thank you!
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 05:42 PM

You could try looking at www.sbb.ch (click on the "EN" for the English version.

I believe there is no direct night train; you could do it overnight but would probably have to change somewhere like Bologna.

There are periodic direct services during the day (takes about 6 hours) on Cisalpino trains.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 07:36 PM

The Cisalpino #38 goes non-stop from Venice Santa Lucia to Montreux, departing at 5:30 pm and arriving at 11:30 pm, IMO this is the train to take rather than the night train. (see below). It’s only 6 hours, and it’s a fun and very fast train. You can have a meal on board. For info on the Cisalpino, go to http://www.cisalpino.ch . I believe this train runs every day all year, but check the website. You can reserve and buy tickets directly through the website, or at rail.ch

The other night trains would require changes, the one through Bologna would require a change at 12:30 am. Not a lot of fun, esp with baggage, and at that time, and the overall journey time is 11-12 hours, double the Cisalpino time.

I have to say that I am not a fan of night trains, esp the Venice one. Unless you can get a first class sleeping car, the 2nd class couchettes are really not comfortable, IMO. You need to determine if 1st class couchettes are available on the route, and if so, whether you want to pay for them. (This info is usually listed on the website, see under “Legend” on the rail.ch site when looking at train schedules.) If your only option is 2nd class sleeping cars, there are 6 berths, which are small and there is not a lot of luggage room. The air conditioning is not adequate. If there are less than 6 of you in your group, you will most likely be sharing space with others, bear that in mind. Even in a first class, you may not get a lot of sleep, and will be washed out the next day. The dining car is almost always booked up quite a ways ahead of time, so either bring dinner or make a booking for a table when you make a reservation for a sleeping car/couchette. Or think about flying.

Old Mar 8th, 2007, 08:44 PM

Sorry, the Cisalpino makes stops of course, but you don't have to make any changes, it goes DIRECT to Montreux...
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 06:17 AM

There used to be an overnight train, but there doesn't seem to be one any more. Lots of night trains have been withdrawn where high speed trains have shortened daytime journeys.
There is a night train from Bologna at 0039. There are trains at least every hour from Venezia to Bologna, so the only problem is that you'd have to hang around in Bologna till after midnight.
People often get confused by different types of sleeping accommodation. Basically, couchettes are simple bunks with first-class four-berth compartments and second-class six-berth compartments. Sleeping cars are neither first nor second class but have compartments which can be arranged for one, two or three people, and the fare depends on how many people are sharing.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 06:23 AM

Yes i read that the Venice-Geneva overnight train had or was being withdrawn.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the advice. I can see that trying to get to Montreux overnight will not be a good option. Circerone's suggestion for the #38 seems to be the logical choice. Thanks again!
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 03:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
That's too bad! I've done Vevey to Venice twice on the overnight train (love it), but it was awhile back.