Italy Train Help

Search

Italy Train Help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2003, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy Train Help

Looking to get from Rome to Venice in June at Trenitalia.com. Here is a link to the search I did:<BR>http://62.110.170.234/webapp/trenitalia/TimeTable?stazin=rome&amp;stazout=venice&amp;datag =18&amp;datam=6&amp;dataa=2002&amp;timsh=03&amp;ti msm=00&amp;lang=en&amp;nreq=5<BR><BR>If someone can answer some questions for me I would appreciate.<BR><BR>1. There appear to be trains leaving from two stations in Rome: Termini and Tiburtina. I believe Termini is the main station. We'll be staying at the Marriott Grand Flora by the Borghese. Is Termini the most convenient station for us?<BR><BR>2. There are like five or six different symbols for the type of train. Can anyone comment on what those are and if they are important to know about?<BR><BR>3. I am thinking that we will leave Rome at night and arrive in the morning. What are the different classes on the trains? I would probably pop for a nicer class so we can sleep peacefully. Any info on the classes would be appreciated.<BR><BR>4. Ok, excepting above. Should we travel in the day instead so we can see the scenery?<BR><BR>5. It looks like there are two stations in Venice: St. Lucia and Mestre. Any information as to which of these are preferable for Venice? I don't know where we'll stay yet in Venice.<BR><BR>6. I can't seem to buy the tickets on-line. Don't know why, but can't do it. Has anyone bought on line recently?<BR><BR>I'd also appreciate any other information or tidbits of knowledge on this route, these trains or classes of service.<BR><BR>Thank you.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 06:35 PM

1 Start from Roma Termini<BR>2 Describe the symbols--they usually picture some service available on the train, unless they are the ES and IC for the class of train (see below).<BR>3 For the length of trip, you should travel on an ES (Eurostar) or IC (Intercity) train. Any other train would be too slow. <BR>ES is the most expensive (all first class, all reserved) and makes the least stops, the shortest trip (5 hours?). <BR>IC has first and second class (first class plus a reservation are worth the extra money) and takes more time and makes more stops. First class also offers air conditioning, a quieter ride (double glazing), and less crowding.<BR>There are even slower trains that you don't want to know about. In June you want a reservation on this route.<BR>4 Scenery is OK on this trip, nothing monumental, although there are some long tunnels along some parts of the route that eliminate views. Choose a train based on your schedule and willingness to sleep on a train.<BR>5 Venice St Lucia (Mestre is on the mainland)<BR>6 I have no experience with online buying. Help anyone?<BR><BR>good luck
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 07:26 PM
Den

I am leaving for Italy in one week and was also unable to purchase train tickets online. It may be that their system is not working. A friend of a friend, who lives in Florence was also unable to purchase them online, even from Italy.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 07:28 PM

Hi, just returned from trip to Rome-Florence-Venice. From Rome Termini is main station. Scenery is nice Italian countryside. In Venice, get off at St. Lucia Station, vaporetto stops are right outside station. It is just easy to buy ticket at the train station or at local travel agencies. They speak English quite well and do not charge extra. We only bought 1 day ahead and had no trouble with availability. We took Euro-Star, it may make less stops but it is nothing luxurious, 2nd class seats are still quite cramped. You could request non-smoking, otherwise it could be quite smoky on board. Overall, trains are very on time and trouble-free.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 04:11 AM

1. I think Termini and Tiburtina are next to each other. In any case, you have no choice: trains stop at one or the other but not both.<BR><BR>The train letter symbols mean <BR>Eurostar Itlia, best express trains, with first and second class, restaurant car and supplement<BR>EuroCity, international expresses with restaurant car<BR>Cisalpino, like Eurostar, but with tilting cars to take corners at speed<BR>InterCity, expresses with restaurant or buffet car<BR>Espresso, fast, often with buffet car<BR>Diretto, fast<BR>InterRegio, semi fast cross country<BR><BR>InterCityNight, top quality with 1, 2 and 3 berth sleepers and crowded 6 berth couchettes<BR>EuroNight, pretty good international night trains with the same cars<BR><BR>3. You want a two berth, first class, sleeper in the InterCity Night train the Marco Polo Express. This reaches Venice Santa Lucia at 0555, so to get a full night you book through to Sacile at 0714, pick up a sandwich and coffee, take the train at 0734 southbound, and reach Venice at 0836. Threre is a note on getting the best from sleepers at http://www.twenj.com/tipsnighttrains.htm<BR><BR>4. The scenery in the Appennines is good, but I think does not justify the time it takes. If you do go by day Eurostar Italia are too fast to see the view properly, so I suggest InterCity restaurant cars thus: Rome Termini, Bologna Venice Santa Lucia<BR><BR>6. If you still have no luck with booking, please try Euraide offices in Florida: http://www.euraide.de/. Telephone in USA 1 941-480-1555. Fax 1 941-480-1522. E-mail [email protected]<BR><BR>Please write again if I can help further. Welcome to Europe.<BR><BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 04:18 AM

Try sending a fax to the attention of the concierege at the Rome Marriott, or give the hotel a call. The concierege should be able to either make a reservation or purchase train tickets for you and have them for you when you arrive. (You may have to pay him separately for thet tickets, as these services often cannot be charged to your hotel account.) The hotel is very nice and the staff extremely helpful, so they should be able to do this. The location is not near the station, so you will need to take a taxi to the station, about 10-15 minutes.<BR><BR>If you want to buy before your trip, you might try the Swiss Rail webiste at sbb.ch. I live in Switzerland and have been able to purchase train tickets for trips within Italy from Swiss Rail offices in Switzerland, and I am assuming you can do the same from their website. They are very efficient. They will mail the tickets to you in the US. This might be an option.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 04:21 AM
ira

Hi md,<BR> You can't purchase tickets on-line from trenitalia unless you live in Italy.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 04:48 AM

The length of the Eurostar (direct with no train changes) trip is only about 5 hours of so. All of the other trains (of longer duration timewise) make train changes along the route. I don't really think you would want to be trying to get to Termini in the middle of the night to try and get to Venice in the morning. My suggestion would be to take the earlist morning ES train you can take and get to Venice around lunch time.<BR><BR>BTW, the scenery north of Rome is beautiful in my opnion. Flatens out more the closer you get to Venice, but still nice farm country.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 06:54 AM

Don't leave from Tiburtina. It's in a poorer part of town. Termini is the main station. Have you tried the www.fs-on-line.com site?
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 08:33 AM

I just returned from Italy wed night, and we rode the eurostar from rome termini to Florence then to Venice and then back to Rome. I suggest that you ride first class, as we did, which was only a few dollars more and well worth it. Very comfortable and enjoyable experience, had a wonderful 4 course lunch on the train, which I highly reccommend, was 25 euro per person and also well worth it. We rode morning trains and had a wonderful view of the countryside. In Venice, Santa Lucia is the train station, maestre is slightly outside of venice.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

This is awesome information folks.
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

bump
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 07:11 AM

Myself, I would also opt for the early morning train. <BR> Figure that morning you would have to check-out from your hotel although they would hold your luggage. Now at the end of your sightseeing (~4-5pm) day you're homeless until the train leaves later that night.<BR> I just need that break in my day where after a day of sightseeing I can go back to my hotel and rest, relax and freshen-up before I go out to dinner ~7-8pm. I would just be too dragged-out to go from ~7am-~11pm but that's me.<BR> Also I have no experience on a sleeper train but I might have a concern about not getting a good night's sleep after a long day which would effect my 1st day in Venice. Regards, Walter
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 07:19 AM

i too had this same question about train service from rome to venice - what a wealth of information - thks to all...<BR><BR>
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 07:25 AM

one other question - someone wrote that they felt uncomfortable in the naples train station. we (husband and wife -mid 50's) plan to go thru there 2x between rome and the amalfi coast and between naples to venice - what exactly made you uncomfortable?<BR>should we make different arrangements to avoid the naples train station? (ie private car, etc - just so expensive that way)-
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 07:56 AM

Suzie,<BR><BR>Just keep your luggage in front of you and your hands ON it at all times. Keep your eyes peeled and be aware of who is around you. Don't let anyone help you with your luggage or in buying tickets.<BR><BR>You'll be fine.
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 07:59 AM

susie52: I've stayed in Naples 3x very near the train station, so I was usually in it at least 2x a day. I wouldn't be concerned about a physical assault type robbery in the station, there is a noticable police presence. Be more concerned with pickpockets, con-men, or an unwatched bag walking away. The con-men besides the illegal taxis or hotel hawkers approaching you, you might be approached by men wearing a blue smock like the FS train employees. They will offer help (showing you your way, ticket windows, your train car, help with your luggage, etc) and expect 10e or more for really nothing and they can get threating.<BR> Just be _very rude_, don't talk to anyone or even acknowledge their existence or that you understand English. I would also be vigilant on the Circumvesuviana platform and on the train ride.<BR> Also you do have a long flight of stairs to the Cir. platform and a short flight from the station unless the escalator is working. Do you have alot of luggage? Regards, Walter
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 10:55 AM

walter,<BR>re the naples train station -<BR>thks for info - yes we would prob have 2 medium roller bags. we planned to have a car meet us at the naples station (hotel is planning this) and drive us to sorrento vs the circa.... trains - heard they were awful.<BR><BR>then private car from sorrento back to naples to catch train to venice-<BR><BR>any other advice? is the car arrangement a good idea? i think the price was about 60-100 us$ each way.<BR><BR>susie