Rome Apts - Thoughts on Two Options

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome Apts - Thoughts on Two Options

http://www.sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_cavourmono.html

http://www.sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_leuto.html

I am looking at either of these...they are in our budget, and we are staying for 5 nights. We've been to Rome several times before, but the map of the first one has me all turned around--I can't decide exactly where it it. The second one is in a great location, but I feel as though it has a "shadiness" to it. Neither has a post on Fodors or Slow Trav.

So, questions are 1) has anyone stayed here and 2) if you had to do it, which would you choose...and neither is an option.

Thanks!

Erika
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 07:53 PM

Hi

I have to say first that I haven't stayed at either. However I have stayed in via Cavour, very near this apartment. The area is described as the Termini area. There's lots of posts in this forum about this area v the Spanish steps. The Termini area tends to be cheaper but gets bagged for being "shady", lacking in character, lacking restaurants and too far from attractions. I didn't find this at all! And neither did the posters who gave it the thumbs up. The Piazza Navona apartment is small - it's only 30 sqm. However its main drawcard is that it's very hard to find accommodation in this area for €90. The other one seems larger and at this price is a good deal as well. So there we have it - location V space.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 09:01 PM

I stayed in the second one for five nights in October 2005. I highly recommend it. It is three blocks from Piazza Navona. And I didn't feel there was any 'shadiness'. There are a couple of small grocery stores right down the street. Here are 2 pictures I took while staying there.

www.pbase.com/trsw/image/51707981
www.pbase.com/trsw/image/51707982

I hope this helps.

Tom
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 09:23 PM

I will also mention that the bed is a 'true' queen. Not two matresses pushed together.

Tom
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Well, Sleep in Italy suggested I go with the first one, and I feel better about it as well. It is very close to a metro stop (Cavour), so the location should not be an issue. I booked it this morning!

Erika
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:33 AM

I wouldn't say that Via Cavour at that point is "shady," but is it a wide busy noisy street. The Leuto apartmanet is in a more quaint neighborhood of quieter streets.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 06:06 AM

Hello,

I'm rather late with my reply and maybe it doesn't help you excatly, but if you like spending your holiday in apartments instead of hotels ( I know I do), than you might try www.halldis.com/rome. It's an Italian company that rents apartments in all of Italy.
Maybe for the second time

Have a nice time!
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 06:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
We stayed near here for a week last easter -on the via dei serpenti, which runs between via Cavour and via nationale. There are loads of reasonably priced restaurants in this area, pleasant squares, locals' shops, etc. Also good access to the metro, buses, forum area, - there is loads to see and do.

good luck!
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for making me feel better about the location. Honestly, it is the nicest "looking" apartment in our budget, and I am excited about that, and Santa Maria Maggiore is my favorite church, so I think that should be a sign.

I will give a plug for Sleep in Italy's customer service here. She emailed me back within minutes several times today. The deposit is small, and our travel dates may change slightly, and all they require is at least a month's notice.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 03:11 PM

Be careful of Sleepinitaly customer service!

We reserved and gave the "small" deposit for a sleepinitaly apt. in Florence. We reconfirmed several times. Then, when we went to check in with the owner, we were told the apartment simply "does not exist". Sleepinitaly addressed our emergency in a languid manner and after several hours, said that since it was Easter, there were no apartments at all available in Florence. They offered us a 16 sq. meter hotel room at $75 per night MORE and tried to tell us we were lucky!

We went elsewhere with our toddler daughter, at great inconvenience. Sleepinitaly took their time refunding our deposit, and did nothing more. No real apology from them, at all. Buyer beware.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 07:13 AM

Kimadrew, Sorry for your problems with sleepinitaly. I had an awful experience with them too (bumped from a long-reserved apartment 1 week before departure).

I hate to bash anyone for one mistake, but I also believe others should know what can happen before renting.