Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome Apartments: Piazza Navona or Campo de' Fiori?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello:

My husband, 2 sons (ages 11 and 6) will be traveling to Rome for 3 days in August. Based on advice we have gotten so far, we have located apartments in the Campo de’ Fiori and the Piazza Navona area. Is one of those areas better than the other?

The addresses we are looking at are as follows:

Via Giulia

Vicolo delle Vacche

Via dei Cartari

Vicolo Febo 2

Via dei Leutari 28

Largo del Pallaro

Via de Giubbonari

If you have any specific thoughts about these, please let me know.

Thank you.

Old Jun 30th, 2008, 09:24 AM

The two areas are only about a ten minute walk away from one another.

We stayed on the Piazza Farnese, which is only one block (toward the river) from Campo Fiori. We thought the location was terrific. You are a bit closer to Trastevere than you would be otherwise, and we walked and had dinner there on two nights, too.

You cannot go wrong as you have correctly decided to stay in the Centro Storico area -- great decision.
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 09:34 AM

A good chunk of Campo dei Fiori is given over to bars that specialize in attracting a young crowd that's into "shooters" and other forms of binge drinking. Many rental apartments are located at an angle where all of this activity never really impinges on a vacation, and many people really enjoy the (somewhat touristy) open air market that occupies the Campo during the day (and leaves a lot of garbage around, however, it must be said). However I've never found the Campo a peasant place to hang out in the evening because of the loud, show-offy bars.

By contrast, Piazza Navona is VERY touristy. However, for young boys, it might be quite delightful. It's perfectly safe to tear around the air-cooling fountains, filled with nude statues, after dark and there are all kinds of jugglers, accordian players, gelaterias, etc. And probably other children their age. And it's kind of fun to imagine the place filled with water and hosting naval battles, as it historically did.

Old Jun 30th, 2008, 09:40 AM

Via Guilia is lined with antique restores and should be quiet at night. Campo de Fiori is at the end of it, . Either place should be the same distances from maor sites.
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 09:41 AM

We stayed on Via Giulia, which is a quiet street about a 3 minute walk to Piazza Navona, and were quite happy. As mentioned above, both are very close to each other, so I don't think it really matters too much.

Tracy
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 09:42 AM

Oops...please ignore my comment about staying on Via Giulia. I just looked up the information and I got the street name where we stayed wrong. My apologies.

Tracy
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 10:23 AM

I am not exactly sure where these street addresses are. But I have stayed in the Campo DF 2x, and although I love it, it is very noisy at night because of the bars The PN is also noisy (in the square) because it is so hugely popular. So, as long as you are 2 or 3 blocks away from either, I would say you are in good shape. I agree with the earlier comment, you have made a great decision to stay in that area, it's a great location
Susan
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 10:36 AM

Toss a coin---both are great.
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 07:27 PM

We were about 2 blocks from Campo de' Fiori in an apartment on the 3rd floor. Very quiet, the Campo gets rowdy late at night, but we loved the market every morning for fresh food when we wanted to cook rather than eat out. Piazza Navona seems busier throughout the day than the Campo and more touristy than the Campo.
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think both are terrific locations (touristy, sure, but is that such a problem for tourists?), although August will very likely be hot hot hot and crowded. Try to choose a place that's both cool and convenient enough for your family to take a siesta if necessary.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 02:14 AM

We stayed in Campo de Fiori last October and was a fabulous position. I am sure Piazza Navona would be fine though it was great being a bit closer to the river.

The supposely rather touristy market has been there for several hundred years and is frequented by many many ordinary italians as well as tourists.

Wherever you stay centrally, noise is likely to be an issue - I would suggest you find out what way the bedroom windows face. Campo de Fiori gets very crowded at night and is noisy into the small hours.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 02:50 AM

We stayed on Via dei Leutari last week and loved the location. It's about a three-minute walk to Piazza Navona (if that), five minutes to Campo dei Fiori, and just off Via del Governo Vecchio with many shops and restaurants. The street is only open to pedestrians and vespas (no cars), which is not to say there isn't any noise. But with the windows closed, we were fine. It was in the 90s last week in Rome; we were happy to have AC.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 07:59 AM

I think anywhere in this area will be good. We spent all our free time wandering between our apartment just off the Campo (Via dei Capellari) and the Piazza Navona area to the Trevi Fountain area.

I loved staying here, though it was quite noisy at night, even two blocks off the Campo. We were able to close our windows, but I still required ear plugs to sleep. Between the two, I think your kids would probably enjoy PN more, for the reasons stated above.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 09:46 AM

As mentioned, both are good areas and are quite close together.

Via Giulia is drop dead charming - Michelangelo designed some of the buildings on that short stretch (he was also an architect).

It remains populated by local residents with the only businesses on it being a cafe and a pasta/olive oil/wine shop. It's pedestrian only unless you live on the street.

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 09:49 AM

I also wanted to second the suggestion that you stay at least 2 blocks off the Piazza or Campo - whichever you decide.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 02:25 PM

We never stayed on Via Giulia but often walked down it. As bardo 1 said, it is so charming. The next time we are in Rome I think I will seek an apartment there.

Enjoy your stay in Rome.