Rome Apartment Opinions, Please

Dec 12th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Rome Apartment Opinions, Please

Hi,

A friend has asked my opinion of this apartment:

http://www.realrome.com/propconteverde.html

It looks nice to me, but I think it might be a bit far from the real center of things.

The set-up looks good for them as there will be a grandmother, daugher, son and granddaughter, and the lift and A/C are good features.

But, I've seen other posts where people point out things about an apartment I would have never noticed! So, any comments or recommendations would be great appreciated.
Dec 12th, 2007, 05:00 AM

The apt looks cute and bright but I personally would not choose the location. Be sure and tell them to look at apt reviews on www.slowtrav.com and look at www.sleepinitaly.com and other rental agencies. If you can give us their budget maybe others here can recommend a 2-bedroom more centrally located.
Dec 12th, 2007, 05:00 AM

From your list of people, two will be sharing a bed so all will be in a bedroom OR one will have to sleep on a sofa bed in the living room. I hope that works for your group.

This isn't the best location, but not awful. The area right around Piazza Vitt. Emanuele II can be nice or a bit grimey, depending on the block--also true as you get closer to Termini train station nearby. From my experience on a recent trip wandering in that area, I remember that street as residential and relatively characterless, with some nicer blocks mixed in. Your friends would get a real idea of how the average Roman lives. I would never have described it as near the Colosseum.

If this was a first-time visit to Rome, I would prefer to be in the more classic center near the Pantheon and Piazza Navona. I'm also put in mind of an apartment of similar size someone on this board was asking about a few months ago. It was quite near the Flaminia metro stop, which for me would be a better location for first-timers, but still not optimal.

Hope this helps . . .
Dec 12th, 2007, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, sandi and ellen. I will pass along your info to my friend. As to their budget, I think they want it as reasonable as possible -- I'm guessing 150 E or so. I'll check with her. I think the bedrooms would be fine with 2 women in one room, one in another, and the son in the living room. (These are adults or almost -- 62, 40, 33 and 15 years, if that helps!).

Any other recommendations would be great!
Dec 13th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Checked with my friend. Budget is about $200/night (approx 135 Euro). She isn't looking for luxury but something decent to accommodate her famiily (needs at least 1 double and 2 singles) and as close as possible to the center.

I know this is a pretty small budget for the number of people, but if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Thank you for any suggestions!
Dec 13th, 2007, 03:37 PM

I stayed in this apartment a couple of years ago and it was nice. The rental agent is great. (It was better than the pictures.)

http://www.rome-apartments-for-rent....pellegrino.asp
Dec 13th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

wliwl, I will give her the information. I think you recommended this for my trip in '06, but we weren't able to get it.

Thank you for the recommendation. This is what I was hoping to get.

Dec 14th, 2007, 02:34 AM

Tim Pearson from Real Rome is great to deal with - your friend could possibly ask him to suggest alternatives.

Personally I would like to stay closer or in a better location - or have more space or amenities. For example another bathroom would be great for the group. The apartment looks new and rather character -less but I know prices in Rome can be appalling.

I second the suggestion to read the reviews on www.slowtrav.com
Dec 14th, 2007, 04:28 AM

In september, my wife and I stayed in this appartment for 8 nights. Superb location and amazingly quiet with a very nice rooftop patio. Charming with lots of anutral light.

I would highly recommend.

http://www.angelishouse.it/holiday-rental-in-rome.htm
Dec 15th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

eliza, thanks. I am sure she will be happy to have a recommendation for the agency. That is often the most important part of renting.

travelinmad, the apartment looks great -- I think I was looking at this one too when I was going to Rome in '06. I loved the terrances! I don't think this provides enough beds for them from what I'm seeing though. Maybe her son could sleep out on the terrace