Rome apartment help

Old Mar 15th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome apartment help

Have finally booked tickets for June 2 weeks in Europe.Need help with lodging arrangements. Am getting the following apartment in Rome : http://www.sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_sangiuliano.html for NIGHTLY RATE: Euro 95,00.Looks good from the pics...has anyone expirienced it?
We are a couple with 8 month old travelling to Rome for the first time.Please suggest any other apartment/hotel near the city center...thanks in advance!

Old Mar 15th, 2008, 04:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi shilpi,

This looks like a very good choice, epsecially for the price.

the location would be hard to beat, you've got A/C, and sleepinitaly get consistently very good reviews.

you could spend a lot of time looking for somewhere better and not find it, especially for the price.

the slow travel web-site @ www.slowtravel.com may have reviews of this particular apartment. it also lists many other similar agencies. we rented through www.romeaccom.com and found them very good too.

regards, ann
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 05:34 AM

Hello Shilpi

My only skepticism would be the ground floor. Will people be walking by day and night? Is there any insulation in the windows? Or maybe just earplugs would do the trick for you.

I knew I had read a review by someone here about this apartment, and I found it! It was by tcreath, back in 2006. I have copied her review here for you. Hope this helps.

"Author: tcreath
Date: 06/16/2006, 10:01 am
Larry,

Let me try to describe the apartment a little bit. First of all, it is on more of an allyway than an actual street. The ally is narrow so no cars can drive on it, although there are motorcycles and vespas. The apartment is on the ground floor, but it was very quite with the exception of some vespa noise from time to time. We had the small window above the door open though, as it was March and we wanted the fresh air.

I felt very safe in the neighborhood. There are some very nice apartments all around, and some great local restaurants and cafes nearby. It was a little confusing navagating the maze of streets at first, but once we got the hang of it all was well. We walked around the area until late in the evening and never felt unsafe. Piazza Navona is a pretty nice neighborhood so this shouldn't be a problem.

The apartment itself is just as it looks on the website. The picture you are seeing is basically the whole apartment. The double doors that open into the apartment are the width of the apartment itself. As I mentioned before, we don't really spend a lot of time in our room so we didn't mind something small. My only complaint is with the bathroom. Its pretty small, and when we used the shower it tended to get the bathroom wet, even though it was an enclosed shower. You can tell that the bathroom has been retrofitted into the space. It was small but adequate.

The owner himself does not live on the premesis. We had to schedule a time, through Sleep in Italy, to meet him. We were given his phone number in case something happened, but all was fine. We were about 15 minutes early and he was already there waiting for us. We had to pay when we checked in, and I believe we paid with cash.

As I mentioned in my other post, the apartment is pretty basic but I think the location is fabulous. The apartment is a great bargain given the location it is in, and we loved being in more of a neighborhood (we could pretend to be locals!) so close to Piazza Navona and the Vatican. Because the apartment is on a narrow ally, I would suggest having a taxi drive you there should you decide to stay there. It was only about 10-12 euros to have a taxi take us from termini to the apartment location.

I hope this helps some. If you need any more info, please just let me know.

Thanks!
Tracy
"

Old Mar 15th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks annhig and swisshiker....really helps! Now I just need to get a place for Florence and am done!
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 05:56 AM

There are quite a number of Florence apartment reviews on this site. We stayed in this apartment last spring and loved it! (This is my review.)

"San Lorenzo Apartment
http://tinyurl.com/2rcxv4
650 Euros/week plus 42 Euros for cleaning

Located an easy walk from the SM Novella station, yet very close to the San Lorenzo Markets and the Duomo, this apartment was a real delight!

The one bedroom was composed of twin beds that were pushed together to make a king size. There was plenty of closet space, as well as a dresser and night stands next to each side of the bed, and a window.

The all-in-one living/dining/kitchen room was very spacious. There was a couch which could convert to another bed, an overstuffed chair, a dining table with 4 chairs, and a TV. The kitchen area was L-shaped, having a full-size refrigerator with separate freezer compartment, stovetop, microwave, and washing machine. There was a good supply of kitchen essentials: dishes, glasses, pots and pans, and even an American-style drip coffee maker.

There are heaters just underneath the windows, which worked quite satisfactorily. An A/C system is also available; however, we did not need cooling during our chilly days!

This apartment is located on the first floor. There is a small lift, although if you didn’t close the doors just right, it wouldn’t work. For example, when we would come back during the day, we’d push the button to call for the lift to come to the ground floor. Well, it was stuck on the top floor with the doors open. No problem, generally, walking up the stairs, but it was inconvenient with groceries or after a long day.

The bathroom is very clean, bright, and fairly large. There is a shower with door (no curtain), bidet, toilet, and the sink is separated by a door. The towels were thick and fluffy, and there were several rolls of toilet paper.

There is a very large supermarket on the ground level. Inside is just about anything one could need, fresh vegetables and fruit, deli, fish, meats, cheeses, wine, bread, household goods, etc. It was very nice and super convenient. Besides the supermarket, the street mostly consists of other apartments, some small retailers such as a shoe and clothing store, a Chinese restaurant, and a hotel at the end of the street.

It is hard to escape street noise in Florence. Although this street is not a main artery, there are scooters coming and going throughout the day. At night, though, aside from the occasional late party-goer, the area is quiet and allows for a good night’s sleep. Church bells will begin around 7 am.

The owners were delightful to work with. I would not hesitate to stay here again.