Search

Perguia & Bologna & everything in between

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perguia & Bologna & everything in between

Guday
The more I read the more confused the route through Umbria and Le Marche becomes except pick the car up in Perguia and get rid of it in Rimini before heading to Bologna.
I think HELP with everything from small villiages not to miss to delightful little hotels and restaurants along the way is definately needed from those of you who have already discovered these regions. I wiil be travelling through this area for 12 days around the beginning of June so for the gems I'm sure I'll get - thank you so much.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 01:17 PM

Wait !
To drive from Perugia to Rimini can be quite different that to drive from Perugia to Bologna.
In the first case, you drive from Perugia to Arezzo, than Sansepolcro, then, you drive along the road named "Marecchiese" and you arrive in Rimini crossing Alpe della Luna and Pennabilli.
If you drive from Perugia to Bologna, you drive from Perugia to Cesena and then, by highway, from Cesena to Bologna.
Both are nice enough, but IMO you have to decide what is your priority to see and, first of all, to feel: what ar eyou searching for in this trip ?.

Vincenzo
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Vincenzo
I have the car for a week and just wanted to meander through the Umbria & Le Marche Regions stopping at small towns. I will get the car in Perugia and hand it back in Rimini and then take the train to Bologna.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 06:44 PM

Here are some sample itineraries from the Marche turism board:

http://www.le-marche.com/Marche/html/routes.htm#

Old Mar 14th, 2008, 11:13 PM

oh, even better this other itinerary: from Perugia to Gubbio and Gubbio deserves a not short visit, then from Gubbio to Fano so that you cross "la gola del Furlo" and you can visit very cute small towns as Cagli, Acqualagna, Mondavio, Serrungarina, Cartoceto and enjoy this sweet part of Marche; by the way, Urbino is not so far. Then you arrive in Fano and enjoy Fano, especially if you like seafood, you can have a nice lunch at Pesce Azzurro; then without highway, but along the Adriatic road, with Adriatic Sea at your right, you arrive in Pesaro, very interesting to visit, and then, Gradara, medieval town famous for Paolo e Franceca (Dante, Divina Commedia), then Cattolica, Riccione, Rimini.
If you are close to Rimini in the days May 30 - June 2, do not miss in San Patrignano the kermesse Squisito! focused on the best Italian food with the best restaurants of Italy.
I will be there !

Vincenzo
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 05:57 AM

Rosalini,

We did something similar last August but in reverse - starting in Venice, ending in Rome, a 2 week road trip concentrating in Le Marche and Umbria. Of our three trips to Italy, it may have been our favorite. Part of our itinerary included Ferrara down S16 to the coast, south of Ravenna on S16 we crossed over to Lido di Classe to see the beach. Back on S16 to Gradara with a gorgeous castle (you can see the Adriatic from the top floor and the small bar to the right of the castle outside the wall has the most delightful owner - there are two, it's the second one) then to Fano where we picked up S3 (Via Flaminia) to see the Furlo Gorge. Past Fermignana and on to Urbino, an absolute must. We did a loop drive going northwest out of Urbino toward Carpegna, then southeast from there toward Urbania. Very, very picturesque route! And stop at Peglio along the way. It's on top of a mountain with a quaint bar and views for miles.
After our time in Urbino, we took S3 south to Cagli, worth a short stop. Watch for signs for the Roman bridge as you go south. We picked up picnic fixings in Cagli and ate beside the stream. Then it was onto S452 to Gubbio, S298 to Perugia, then eventually to Assisi.
The whole thing was heavenly. If we could go back tomorrow, that's the area I would choose.