Rome & Sorrento in May

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome & Sorrento in May

My wife & I and 2 adult children in their 20's are going to Sorrento and Rome for 4 full days each next month. Do you advice renting a car for the trip from Rome to Sorrento or taking the train? Which would we all get the most out of and be the most interesting? Hiring a driver is an option as well although itís more pricy. Thoughts?

When in Sorrento, do have thoughts on how to get to and experience Pompeii & Mt. Vesuvius, the Amalfi drive and Capri if we don't rent a car? Should we book through a Hotel tour, private tour, or go on our own via bus and boat?

When in Rome, can anyone recommend guided tours for Ancient Rome, The Vatican and Sistine Chapel, Tivoli gardens/Catacombs and Apian Way? What would you recommend doing on the 4th day? thanks!
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:51 AM

In May I would defiitely rent a car. That way you can do what you want (Pompeii, Vesuvio, Naples, Amalfi towns) on your own schedule. The roads won;t be very crowded yet and driving the Amalfi Drive - in either direction is fun - as long as it's not blocked with 5 mph traffic - as it is in august. And you'll have time on the water going back and forth to Capri.

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 01:37 AM

Hi Cody - Pompeii, Vesuvius and the Amalfi Coast are all easy enough by public transport - so you could do without a car in Sorrento if you prefer.

The main benefit in driving down rather than train or bus IMO would be if you wanted to stop off en route - for example at Monte Cassino ... or Caserta.

Steve

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 02:08 AM

We liked Angel Tours and did their Ancient Rome and Vatican Tours. I would add the Borghese Gallery to your list. You need to book reservations in advance. We went to the Priscilla catacombs after the Borghese Gallery (by cab). Very interesting tour but the other direction from the Appian Way.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 02:25 AM

I don't know about formal tours of the Appian Way. There is an off/on bus run by the tourist office called the Archeobus which starts in the center city and goes down to the catacombs,farther out the Appian Way and then to aqueducts leading into the city. It is a convenient way to get out to these sights at your own pace. The catacombs have guided group tours.

On sunday the upper part of the Appian Way starting at Porta San Sebastiano is closed to traffic. That section is very narrow and full of traffic other days.