Rome and Orvieto-weekend dining

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read with relish and delight all the postings on favorite dining places, then upon making reservations, have learned that some of those that are highly recommended are not open Saturday night or Sunday! We tried Da Armando al Pantheon in Rome for dinner Saturday night, but they are closed. We tried Trattoria dell'Orso for lunch on Sunday in Orvieto, and they are closed! Does anyone have any recommendations for Rome on Saturday night and Orvieto for Sunday lunch. We are interested in good food at reasonable prices, since we will have our 13 year old grandson with us.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 12:50 PM

I recommended this restaurant on another thread, one of my favorites in Rome, a real Roman osteria-LA SCALINATA. It is located between the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain on Via S. Andrea delle Fratte 32, Tel. # 06-69-94-20-67.

This place gets packed in the evenings, it's very popular with locals and Italian tourists to the capital. They have a long list of daily specials that they put out on the board-a perfect place to go with your grandson, as I've seen Italian tourists in there with what looks to be their grandchildren as well. The freshest fish, great antipasto, friendly staff. Closed on Sundays.
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Girlspytravel--La Scalinata sounds as though it will fill the bill!Any suggestions for Sunday lunch in Orvieto? Dell'Orso is closed. Of the following Venice restaurants, which would you choose? Ristorante Sempione, Al Quattro Feri, or Osteria Alla Botte?
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 01:31 PM

Hi Har- I would choose one of the first two, since I recommend them, dined at both, and know their food. I would say, however, that Sempione is a romantic spot, as it's located on a quiet canal in San Marco-and there are canal-side tables-a lovely place. Ai Quattro Feri is a very local spot, excellent vegetable and seafood dishes, but not particularly romantic-but friendly and authentically Venetian.

It depends on what you are looking for.

Orvieto, alas, I don't know as well. There are others though whom I'm sure can help there.

Old Apr 7th, 2007, 01:47 PM
ira

Hi Har,

I think that
I Sette Consoli
Pzza Sant’Angelo 1A
phone/fax 011 39 0763 343911

in Orvieto is open for Sunday lunch.

If it is, it is well worth the visit.

Fixed price lunch is about 45E and worth every penny.

Old Apr 7th, 2007, 02:36 PM

I agree with Ira on I Sette Consoli. We had lunch there last April on a Sunday. It was very good and as we ate lunch late it was our dinner as well. The garden dining area was not open when we were there but I believe they said it would open around April 20. You won't be disappointed with this restaurant.
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 03:18 PM
ira

Hi Nini,

>..The garden dining area was not open when we were there ...<

Too bad. You will have to go back.