Rome/Amalfi Trip itinerary

Oct 7th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Rome/Amalfi Trip itinerary

Can someone please critique our trip?

We are traveling to Rome for a week and then moving on to Sorrento for a few days.

First day (Sunday) will be spent traveling from Rome to Sorento with a stop in Naples to see the Archeological Museum and arriving in Sorrento in the early evening.

Second day to be spent visiting Mt Vesuvius and Pompeii.

Third day will be spent in Positano and Amalfi.

Fourth day will be spent walking around Sorrento and then heading back to Rome as we fly out the following morning.

My questions are as follows.

When traveling to Naples on the train, how much room will we have to store luggage? Does our luggage store near our seats or must it be kept in a separate area? Is that area safe?

When arriving in Naples, is the left luggage area safe?

Are we trying to do too much by packing in Positano and Amalfi in one day? We plan on taking the bus since we aren't sure about weather conditions for boating in late October.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Oct 8th, 2007, 01:56 AM

Your schedule looks fine. I am glad that you do not rush from place to place but that you take your time to explore and enjoy.

Re: baggage in train
I strongly advise to keep you baggage close to you. Naples is an eldorado of thieves and criminals of all sorts, so be extra watchful. You can but your baggage in overhead bins (if not too heavy) or you just put it on the floor besides your seats. Do not put it in a separate area!

Sorry, I cannot help you with the question about lockers in Naples.

Positano and Amalfi in one day is fine. The main attraction is the bus drive. Unless you have vertigo, choose a seat on the right side when you drive from Sorrento to Amalfi.

Amalfi is the more interesting town. The cathedral is magnificent. There is a nice street with streetstands and shops. You may visit the old shipyard (surprisingly small, in caves). One to two hours will be enough.

You may also visit the Emerald Grotto near Amalfi. You can reach the cave either by bus or by boat from Amalfi.

Positano is charming town, but of less historical significance than Amalfi. An hour will be enough.

Think about doing one trip by boat. I would suggest taking the bus to Positano and Amalfi and taking the boat back to Sorrento. The views of the coastline are gorgeous! (But do not miss the bus experience, especially with seats on the right side - it is also unforgettable!)
Oct 8th, 2007, 02:53 AM
ira

Hi K,

Nice plan.

Each car of your train to Naples will have a large storage rack at one end for big suitcases and overhead racks for small suitcases.

Neither the ES* nor the AV stops between Rome and Naples, so there is no chance for a thief to make off with your luggage.

There is left luggage storage at Naples Centrale.

The Circumvesuviana commuter train to Sorrento doesn't have luggage racks.

Your Sorrento hotel can tell you if ferries will be running to Positano and Amalfi. I would take the ferry on at least one leg of the route if they are operating.

Enjoy your visit.

Oct 8th, 2007, 05:42 AM

Ira - The only train not making stops is the AV. The ES makes a couple of stops in Naples before arriving at Naples Centrale.

kiki2 - If you wanted to rearrange your days a bit, you might consider taking the Marozzi bus from Rome to Sorrento. It makes a 2-3 brief stops before getting to Sorrento. Your luggage is stored underneath the bus so you don't have to worry about it. You could walk around Sorrento your first day. On your last day you could train to Naples, store your luggage at Centrale, visit the Archeological Museum, then take a late train on to Rome.
Oct 8th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Great advice!

I never considered taking a bus but it would alleviate some hassels. If we don't change our schedule, I might consider taking this route when we go back to Rome from Sorrento. I think it may be helpful for us to see the Museum prior to going to Pompeii.

Thanks again everyone!
Oct 9th, 2007, 05:00 AM
loc

Last fall we were on the Amalfi coast and stayed in Sorrento for a week as home base. My son who is an artist insisted that the most beautiful spot on the coast was Ravello and he was soooo right! Had he not told us, we would have spent the day in Amalfi. But instead, we got a bus right at the Amalfi pier that took us up the mountain a short ride and to the most breathtaking beauty imaginable. Treat yourself in Ravello and shorten a few hours of Amalfi and Positano.Stroll through Villa Rufolo and Villa Cimbone in Ravello! If the boat is running, be sure to take it back to Sorrento from Amalfi. It was a very different and even more beautiful view than the bus.