Rome airport question;

Jul 14th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Rome airport question;

Where do you stay when you have to fly out of Rome the next day? My kids are looking for something pretty cheap; a hostel or something. Their flight leaves at 8:30 and the hotels near the airport are very expensive. Is there a convenient place nearby or in the city where they could stay and then catch a train or a cab to the airport? Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
Jul 14th, 2010, 06:31 PM

Here's a budget hotel/hostel I've not stayed at but considered and it's run by an American couple. It's walking distance to Termini station.

Maybe check thorn tree (Lonely planet site) for more budget advice.

http://www.the-beehive.com/
Jul 14th, 2010, 06:46 PM

Hotel Aberdeen is not budget but has easy access to Termini via bus or even walking.

http://www.hotelaberdeen.it/
Jul 14th, 2010, 06:48 PM

I have stayed at Casa di Maryelen near Termini. Clean, nice, great owners. Walking distance to Termini. Easy to catch train to Airport.
Jul 15th, 2010, 06:32 AM

Another place that receives reasonable reviews near Roma Termini is Hotel Kennedy.

http://www.hotelkennedy.net/index_en.php
Jul 15th, 2010, 06:38 AM

I spent one night at the Kennedy a couple of years ago and liked it. It's kind of shabby-chic, but clean, with friendly, helpful staff. It's about a three-minute walk to Termini.
Jul 15th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

So your suggestion is for the four kids to stay near Termini station and then walk to the station and take the train to the airport? Is that what you would do? Thanks for your help...
Jul 15th, 2010, 07:53 AM

That's what I'd do. I'd prefer to be IN ROME for my last night if departing from a Rome airport. The trip to FCO from Roma Termini (both train and bus options) are easy and inexpensive. Though since we now learn that there are four travelers, a direct shuttle service of some kind my cost the same as public transport.
Jul 15th, 2010, 08:05 AM

Actually, if you are talking about 4 people, for the transport side you can do a car service, like Rome Shuttle Limousine, for approximately the same price as the Leonardo Express train and it is door to door.

www.romeshuttlelimousine.com

dave
Jul 15th, 2010, 08:41 AM

I have used Rome Shuttle Limousine for this service last year and it was terrific. Door to door and same price as train for 4 people as dave says.
Jul 15th, 2010, 09:12 AM

I would NOT take the train to the airport.

For 4 people, a private car is quicker, cheaper, and more convenient. You don't need to stay near the train station, pick a nicer area you'de rather be in.

Any hotel will arrange for a car to take the 4 of you from your hotel front door directly to your airline's check-in counter (between 40€-50€). The train is 14€ each person one-way or 56€ total.

Drive time is 30-45 minutes depending on what neighborhood you are in and traffic conditions. Plan on meeting your driver at 6am (probably way more time than you need).
Jul 15th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

And you can book the car in advance and it will be there on time when you have booked it? They are reliable, I guess is my question?
Jul 15th, 2010, 10:38 AM

Yes, you can either book the car yourself in advance before you leave home or just tell the hotel you want one when you check in. I've done it many, many, times and it was always there on time.
Jul 15th, 2010, 10:42 AM

I've used Rome Shuttle Limousine for years, all times of day or night and they have always been early. They are very professional, you can book months in advance or call the day before. Their prices are exactly as they say, never any hidden fees.
Jul 16th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the information here. I will pass it along to the kids. They were in Venice yesterday and another town in the mountains today, so I think that they may not have internet service? Not sure. Thanks again.

Search this Thread