Search

Rome

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome

Im starting to learn the best way to get the most direct answers on this board, so here we go. I'm looking for the best area to stay in Rome. Here are the details:

Who: My Wife and I
When: October 6-11
$$$: Want to spend between $150-200 per night.

Would like a good location but don't mind walking so it doesn't need to be right on top of all the tourist spots.

I was told great things about the B&B Giovy (http://www.bbgiovy.com/) and it seems like a great area, but would like to hear from those that have been there.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 10:42 AM

Define "best area."

Look: you are not going to a large college town or even a decent-sized US city like Cincinnati or Portland.

Rome has nearly the population of Chicago. The tourist-interest sites are spread out (just look at the distance from St. Peter's to the Colosseum on a map).

That said, some place close to the Piazza di Spagna would be a reasonable choice if you can find something in your price range. That B&B is a bit close to Termini for my taste, but others may differ.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

What is the drawback to being close to Termini?

I am from the NYC area so I understand large city = different area with different perks. We'd like to be in area where it is easy to get around by foot or mass transit.

It seems the Termini area would have the advantage of being close to the train line and provide quick access to the Vatican and Colisseum. I assume the drawbacks would be that mass transit = crowds = noise?
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 10:49 AM

I just booked a B&B in Rome for a little less than $200 per night. I have never been to Rome, but I did a lot of research and this place seems to be within walking distance of all major sites and termini station.

It is right around the corner from the trevi fountain:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ome_Lazio.html

If you go on trip advisor, click on hotels or B&B and it will filter everything on a map on the right side of the page. I just magnified the map and chose a place that was centralized to all the main attractions...this helped me out a lot.
Good luck!
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 10:51 AM

As in most large European cities, the areas near the train station(s) tend to be at least a tad sleazy. I know there are some nice areas close to Termini, but I would never choose a hotel close by.

I love the Hotel Modigliani. It's been a few years since I was there, though, and don't know if it's still in your price range.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 11:00 AM

There's nothing wrong with staying near Termini but for the same money you can stay near one of the major squares and have a nicer area to stroll in the evening.

I happen to like Trastevere but lots of people feel that is too far from the action.

My favorite place to stay was just a couple of minutes from Campo dei Fiore and it was nice to go to the square for morning coffee and watch the vendors and the people shopping for food. It was also a good place for a late evening glass of wine or coffee.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 11:06 AM

It looked like the Giovy got good reviews. Will you be taking day trips while in Rome? Being near the Termini might be convenient if that is the case. Busses convenient from there also. We stayed in that general area and loved using the tram but had a difficult time finding great food. Our hotel was very basic but the people were super nice. We felt too away from the touristy things (although the tram helped there).

On another trip we stayed in this one:

http://www.hotelisa.net/hotel-isa-ro...ican-city.html

Hotel Isa and really liked the location. It was just a couple of blocks from a major bus area (Piazza Cavour). Reasonable walks to Piazza Navona, Vatican, Spagna and Popolo. We jumped on a bus that went to Trastevere. It was 3-star when we were there--things can change though.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Once we are in Rome, we are staying in Rome, so no day trips.

Based on the responses here, I am going to look near the Pizza di Spagna and the Campo di Fiori, but please send along more suggestions if there are any.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 11:57 AM

If you look near the Campo de'Fiori, stay away from the Campo itself, which is binge-drinking party central.

I would be more interested in staying closer to the Largo Argentina -- where where both Pensione Barrett and Gens Julia are in your budget.

Being near Termini is like being near Penn Station. Nothing terribly wrong with it but nothing terribly interesting about it either.

Piazza di Spagna is fine, but try to drift away from the piazza and the steps toward the river. It it can be unappealingly touristy right around the Spanish Steps.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 12:08 PM

If you are from NYC then think of it this way: Would you rather stay on the sleazy side of Penn Station (Termini) or next to Washington Square (Piazza Navona/Campo di Fiori)?
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 12:19 PM

You may want to check out the Hotel Smeraldo, it is located between Largo Argentina and Campo dei Fiori. I haven't stayed there since 2008, and I recall paying somewhere between 100-150 euro per night back then, prices may have increased since then.

I thought the location was the best thing going for this place. It is very basic no frills hotel, but it was clean and I'd skip the breakfast on offer and go across the street to the cafe/bar there or down the street to Campo dei Fiori for morning coffee and pastry.

Another hotel I've stayed at twice (in 2009 & 2010) and liked very much in Rome is the Hosianum Palace, a bit more in price than the Smeraldo, and located between Piazza Venezia and Largo Argentina. It was slightly farther way from the "action" at Campo dei Fiori.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 12:40 PM

cdispoto, if it’s your first time in Rome, I’d certainly look to stay close to the center if you can find something in your price range. Thinking in terms of euro, your price range is from €114 - €152. Downtown, prices can be much higher than this, especially in the Spagna or Campo de Fiori area. The centro area contains many of the more expensive accommodations in town - Location, location, location!

To defer costs, you might consider an apartment. Or - below are a few links for some accommodation suggestions from Booking.com and Venere.com for the centro area. These articles have the "BEST-RANKED" accommodations by Booking.com and Venere.com guests. These posts contain a map, photos, and also ANOTHER link at the bottom of each article that ranks the area by price - which could help you with your budget concerns!

Here are some links for the centro area - which would INCLUDE the Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, and the Trevi Fountain areas.

http://tinyurl.com/hotels-pantheon ** http://tinyurl.com/hotels-navona
http://tinyurl.com/ssteps ** http://tinyurl.com/hotel-trevi

I like using Booking.com and Venere.com because their rankings only include folks who have booked through them and STAYED at the property. Booking.com tends to have more properties and deal with many more hotels. Venere, based out of Rome, Italy, seems to have more of the smaller or family-run accommodations.

We've lived in Vatican area for 3+ years and enjoyed the atmosphere there. Once the museums close up for the evening, the entire "mood" of the area changes. And it is well connected to downtown via bus and metro. There are many smaller B&B's in the area, thus less expensive. And many of these B&B’s are among the highest ranked in the city. But not as many hotel options... If cost is an issue, this may be a good option because of its public transportation options. Here are the "best -ranked" for that area: ** http://tinyurl.com/hotels-prati **

Some people like the Monti area – over by the Colosseo and south of Termini station. I have friends who live here and they love this area. To me, the Colosseo area is a little “dead” at night, but above the Colosseo, in the hills of the Monti neighborhood are plenty of restaurants and cafés. For the Best-Ranked accommodations by booking and venere.com guests, you can look here: ** http://tinyurl.com/hotels-colosseo **

Trastevere is one of our favorite areas. We often rode our motorino over to Trastevere to have dinner with friends – or just to walk the streets late at night. Trastevere, like the Prati/Vatican area, has fewer hotels but many, many B&B’s. We have also stayed in a few apartments in this area and sometimes “house-sat” for friends. It can be a late-night crowd. Not sure I’d want to be on the ground floor in some of the Trastevere locations as it can be noisy late (like the Campo)… but it’s a wonderful part of town to stay in and connected to all parts of town by the #8 tram, the #3 bus, or the H bus. For some spots there, look at: ** http://tinyurl.com/trastevere-hotel **

I’ve also stayed in the Roma Termini area. It’s safe and of course has great transportation links, but it’s certainly not as “beautiful” as other parts of town. It is the least expensive “interior” part of Rome but for a first-timer I think (as mentioned) you could find alternatives in a “nicer” neighborhood within your budget. If you were planning to do day trips – and you say no – then this is a great location. Booking.com lists 350+ accommodations just in the Roma Termini area. This is a section of town where you really need to read the reviews before booking. Some of the best recommendations are here: ** http://tinyurl.com/hotels-termini **

If you can find a spot, I'd certainly look in the centro area. If it's your first time in the city, you can't beat staying downtown and walking around the area at night! Good Luck on your trip!!
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 12:43 PM

I though Smeraldo was fine too, especially its proximity to the Roscioli bakery (and its nearby sister deli). A delicious location, also convienient for walking and buses to just about anywhere in Rome. Rome's metro is much more limited than those in other European capitals; for example, it skirts the historic center with its abundance of archeological treasure underground.