Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome -- 6:45am flight -- Where to stay the night?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2003, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are ending our European vacation in Rome with a 6:45 am flight out of Fiumicino. Any suggestions on where we should spend the night? Hilton at airport is very $$, but maybe worth it to not have to rely on a cab to pick us up at 4:30 am? Thanks for your help.
Old May 10th, 2003, 08:57 PM

I'd rather spend the night in Rome and have the taxi pick me up at 4:30 a.m. rather than staying the night at the Hilton by the airport.
Old May 10th, 2003, 09:18 PM
GladysFontanez

Hi Swallis,
My sister and I returned from Rome at the end of our vacation in Italy. We, too, had an early morning flight (7:15 a.m.)and were nervous about getting to the airport on time. We were staying at the Hotel La Residenza near Via Veneto. The hotel provided limousine service to the airport (abt. $70) which picked us up promptly at 5:00 a.m. and delivered us to the airport before 6 a.m. It might be easier to use your hotel's service than waiting for a cab which may not be as reliable. Enjoy your trip. Gladys

Old May 11th, 2003, 05:38 AM

We were in Italy in early April. We also had the early flight out of FCO and used Sandro, (www.romalimo.com) who had also picked us up on arrival to take us to the airport when we left. He picked us up at our hotel at 5:00am and took us to the airport. He is reliable and very efficient.
Old May 11th, 2003, 07:42 AM
rex

Seconding the opinion to stay IN Rome, and having the front desk of your hotel staff pre-arrange an early morning taxi to the airport. Perhaps 4:15, if the flight is headed across an ocean, directly FROM Rome.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old May 11th, 2003, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I am now searching for an inexpensive (Euro 75 range) hotel in Rome...any suggestions?
Old May 11th, 2003, 08:52 AM

Hotel Sileo
http://www.hotelsileo.com/english/Home.htm
[email protected]
Via Magenta, 39 - 0185 Roma
Tel 06 4450246
Fax 06 4450246
Db 50 euro
I have not stayed here, but have seen good reviews. The rooms are only available from 7PM to 9AM. Rail company crews use it during the day.
Old May 14th, 2003, 01:00 PM

I think you can have it both ways.

I just had the same conumdrum, and IMHO decided it would stress me out too much worrying about the taxi showing up so early and missing the flight. I didn't want to take the chance.

So I forked over the big bucks, stayed at the Rome Airport Hilton, and it was a fabulous way to end the trip - as I had arrived earlier on train from Cinque Terre, I checked my bag at the Rome Termini train station, did one last afternoon of Rome shopping, sightseeing and a good dinner, then that evening took the quick train ride to the airport (I think they run until 11 or 12). Luxurious bath, and then at the crack of dawn just walked over to the terminals in the a.m. And its super quiet there too, you can't hear the planes.
Old May 14th, 2003, 01:27 PM

I'd ditto what Carin says. We'd stayed at the Hilton at the airport also on our last night in Italy. IMHO its worth the extra money to end a vacation on a high note without stressing about missing the flight home.
Old May 14th, 2003, 01:34 PM

Ditto. We stayed at the Rome Airport Hilton for an early flight home as well, and were very pleased with the short indoor walk from the hotel to the terminal. Also, we were able to process our VAT tax refunds at the airport the night before to avoid any delay in the a.m.
Old May 14th, 2003, 02:55 PM

An alternative is to stay in Rome but a little outside the very center, at a location from where it will be easy to take a cab to the airport. Often recommended for this is Villa San Pio in the Aventine Hill area. It is a lot less expensive than the Hilton and is in a beautiful residential area with nice restaurants.
Old May 14th, 2003, 03:25 PM

On my first trip to Rome, we too had an early morning plane.
I opted to stay at the Rome Airport Hilton. The day before our departure, We arrived from Florence about noon and settled in. We then took the bus the hotel provides to go back into Rome for a few hours. We did some sightseeing, had a nice dinner and returned by the shuttle to the hotel.
In the morning, we just woke up and walked to the terminal.
Sometimes if you call Hilton and ask for the very best rate they have, they might cut you a break.
I just did not want to get up at 4:00 in the morning and worry about getting back to the airport.

Old May 14th, 2003, 05:38 PM

Been there done that. For us it was the Hilton, after dragging poor husband around tuscany being "free spirits" and stopping when something grabbed us, the man needed (no craved) a reservation. The Hilton was well, a Hilton. It just put the trip over sooner for me as it was so generic. We did get a good rate using the USO in Rome. If you are active duty or retired military the USO is a great resource.
Old May 15th, 2003, 07:04 AM

If I were coming to Rome from another city on the day before my flight, I might choose the airport hotel. But I would not change hotels for my last night if I were already settled into a Rome hotel. Twice I've had my hotel arrange for an early ride to Fiumicino and it worked just fine. Between your alarm clock and the hotel's wake-up call, you should have no worry about oversleeping. And the car services must be dependable or the hotels would not continue to use them. (My cost for the ride in a Mercedes sedan six weeks ago was 45 euro. I don't know the name of the car service; Hotel San Carlo made the arrangements.)
Old May 15th, 2003, 08:28 AM
ira

Hi
You might want to consider the EUR-Parco dei Medici about 7 km from the airport. 100E/night. They have shuttle service to FCO.
Old May 16th, 2003, 09:42 AM

We just got home from Rome. We, too had a flight out of Rome to Amsterdam at 6:45a.m. We stayed in the city and got limoservicerome.yahoo.it to drive four of us at a very early hour. The fare was 62 Euro and we gave the driver a tip. I wouldn't recommend the hotel we stayed our last night but the Del Senato, where we stayed the first evening, was great but pretty expensive if you're not even staying for breakfast!