Romanesque churches in Hungary?

Dec 17th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Romanesque churches in Hungary?

By google and guide books, it seems the only romanesque churches left in Hungary are in Jak and Belapatfalva. Is there any other site remained? Some books mention they only open from April to October, has anyone been able to visit them in mid-January?

I would be appreciated for any suggestion.
Dec 17th, 2005, 09:34 PM

Hi, Judy!

You may want only Romanesque churches that have survived without a lot of reconstruction, but here was a picture I found interesting:

http//www.planetware.com/picture/pecs/cathedral-of-st-peter-h-h255.htm
Dec 18th, 2005, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

To Smalti, many thanks for the link, the Basilica is quite striking. It is already on my visit list; but I do wish to see more romanesque style without too much reconstruction.
Dec 18th, 2005, 08:36 AM

Have you tried e-mailing an architectural group in Hungary? Suggest you open a forum discussion at http://www.epiteszforum.hu/ This site is for the discussion of architectural topics in Hungary. The site is in Hungarian, but give it a go in English.....who knows! I do have an encyclopedia of The Romanesque Architecture and checked for you....if you were going to Northern Spain, France, Italy, and Germany you would have hundreds of choices (my favorite?: Segovia). Hungary? Not so, unfortunately. Either way, have a wonderful trip!
Dec 18th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

To Viajero2, many thanks for the site, perhaps someone over there could help out.

I always make a point to visit Romanesque church wherever I travel, have visited quite a few in northern Spain (favorite: Oviedo), Umbria and Tuscany, central France, Trier and Cologne.