Spain vs. Tuscany.

Search

Spain vs. Tuscany.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain vs. Tuscany.

I know this is a VERY general question, but...I can't decide on whether to take my husband (for his 50th birthday) to Spain or Tuscany. There is SO much to chose from out there, and I'm not good with a lot of choices. I have spent endless hours on the interent and, frankly, need someone to make the decision for me!

If we went to Spain, I was thinking of doing a loop from Madrid (where to - I'm not sure - possibly towards Bilboa and staying at different paradors). My husband has been to Spain on business, but hasn't done much sight-seeing.

We've never been to Italy, but have thought Tuscany may be a nice area as my husband loves wine, history and architecture, however, he's NOT at all into big crowds so need to keep that in mind. We are planning on traveling in Oct of 2006. We don't mind moving from one place to another and will be renting a car.

If someone could please give me their opinion, I'd appreciate it immensly.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 11:32 AM

almost anywhere you will go will be special and it is hard to help you decide.

there are many beautiful small towns in spain, it seems a bit more primitive, less chic, than the towns in italy, but perhaps that is just my vision. i have lived in spain for 35 years, still enjoy spain every time we go for a long weekend. but we also can't seem to get enough of italy, escaping there for quick three /four day jaunts when we see a low cost flight bargain.

we are not into crowds either.. so going the small town route is a good idea.

how long do you have ? i think attractive lodgings will be of key interest, and setting up a few activities and tours.

maybe you can see what paradors or hotels appeal to you most, as there will be plenty of architecture in either place. i do think italy has more of a WEALTH of everything. spain is a more austere country, even their kingdoms were. so.. it is just different.

i love both places, and there are some great experts here to guide you once you narrow it down to an area. sorry i can't help much more.

where can you get the best airfare, etc?? that would probably steer me one direction or another.

Old Oct 29th, 2005, 11:35 AM

Hmmm...I've been to both Spain and Tuscany and it is hard to pick one over the other.
What I will say is if you choose Spain head south not north from Madrid. In Oct. the weather will be nicer south. And Sevilla is one of my fav. cities. It has all the things you listed, wine, history and architecture. And I personally prefer Spanish buildings to the ones I saw in Tuscany.
I have no idea how crowds will be in Oct. but it's bound to be okay as it's out of summer peak. I guess I's pick Spain and visit Andalucia.
Good luck!
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 03:45 PM

I solved the dilemma for my own recent "big" birthday by combining the two: Italy AND Spain. But I was fortunate to have a month to do it in.

Why don't the two of you spend some time looking through books, especially books with fabulous photos, of the two countries/areas? What catches your attention. What do you want to do?
For example, in my case, in Spain, I really like the nightlife, the tapas, the wine, the music, the modern art, the paradors, the castles, and the austere landscape that lincasanova described. In Tuscany, I really like the food, the wine, the hill towns, the renaissance masterpeices, the landscape, and the cities.

In both places I like the local people, perhaps most important!

Pinpoint your "visions" of the trip a little more and you probably can't go wrong.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 03:36 AM

Flip a coin, you cannot go wrong with either

Now you have decided on Tuscany - a specific region of Italy but Spain is also very diverse. The norther and southern Spain are completely different. Throw in the Basque Country and they can be worlds apart.

You prefer chianti and risottos - go to Tuscany. You'd rather have seafood and albariños - go to Northern Spain.

Italy is a lush while Spain is more austere. Major Tuscan towns in Italy have huge crowds almost everywhere but so does Andalucia.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 03:51 AM

Iy's a tough choice but if you go to Spain, don't go to Mardid. It's a relatively uninteresting city. If you haven't been to Spain before, go to Andalucia - Seville, Grenda, Ronda, Cordoba.

As far as crowds are concerned, they are unaviodable, but going on Oct should help. If you want small towns, then Tuscany is a better choice. But Tuscany is wine country and a lot of people go there in the fall to for the harvest time. If you want architecture, then the Moorish stuff in Andalucia is a real eye popper that you don't get anywhere else in Europe.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 08:10 PM

We just did both and it was a very good combination. It all depends on how much time you have and what time of year you plan to go. Let us know.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 05:47 PM

My choice is Spain. Ulike what "ImHornet" said about madrid being uninteresting, I completely disagree. I think spain would make a perfect arrival to spain. From madrid you can take day trips to surrounding cities such as Segovia, or Toledo, which are both very fantastic and beutiful cities, and both have great food, architechture and culture.

In october It's better to head for the south of Spain, Andalucia. Southern spain is more rough than the gentle rolling hills of tuscany but I truly fell in love with the geography of (southern) Spain. Like someone said, spian is EXTREMELY diverse, and I'm not exaggerating. In the north, you'll feel as if you were in ireland and in the south is very unique so i can't compare it to anything.

If you go to Andalucia, I suggest visiting Cordoba, Sevilla, Granada, and Ronda. But if you are more into small villages than go off the beaten path. Spain is dotted with tiny picturesque villages.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 07:20 PM

You can't go wrong with either country. My preference, however, would be Tuscany. YOu just can't beat the wine, the food, the scenery, the history etc. There are plenty of small towns without big crowds. My wife and I love driving in Tuscany as it is very scenic.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 01:08 AM

Hi

Madrid is not an uninteresting city. It's fabulous!!
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 02:55 AM

Most of the comments are true. I will add another aspect: Spain is much cheaper than Tuscany. The Paradores are always a good bet. Restaurants are very inexpensive in Spain. If you go there, make a tour through Andalucia. The absolute highlight is Granada. Reserve your ticket for the Alhambra over the internet to avoid lines.
Tuscany is very different. There are half a dozen interesting cities in a distance of one hour driving time. So you need just one base for exploring whole Tuscany. But be aware that many places, in particular in Florence, will be crowded in October. And prices are high for everything.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 04:46 AM

As others have stated, you can't go wrong with either. Realize Spain is a huge country, while Tuscany is just a small portion of Italy. I have been to Andalucia and Tuscany, and loved them both, but if I were to go back (and I will!) I would choose Tuscany. Why? - the food in Italy (in my opinion) is far more interesting and well prepared.The Spanish diet seems to consist mostly of ham, seafood, eggs, and more ham. Another reason would be that although Andalucian and Tuscan hill towns are both very scenic, Italian hilltowns are more interesting once you are inside them. As for crowds, Tuscany will probably have more tourists, but there are plenty of smaller villages and rural areas that are off the beaten track. I would also try and do a few days in the Cinque Terre area, which is a short 2 hours away and very scenic.
All this being said, Seville Spain is one of the most enchanting and beautiful cities in all of Europe.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 05:12 PM

As some other user said "Spainish food is maily Ham and Seafood, but probably the best ham and seafood in the world". Plus I don't see much variety in Italian food either... it mainly consists of pastas and sauce. Very few meats and fish.

As far as which towns are more interesting... It all depends on your likings. In a typicall andalucian hill town, you will see more nightlife and pubs, and etc. In tuscan hill towns you will probably find less cheerfullness.

The main reson people prefer tuscany, is because the gentle rolling hills and those weird skinny trees, LOL. Like someone here already said: "Tuscany is more like a Lady and Andalucia is like a rough Gentleman."