Reload this Page >

Romancing Scotland

Search

Romancing Scotland

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2001, 07:26 PM
Dr. Betty

Romancing Scotland

This is a country to love. It has everything you could want from art, history, mountains, oceans, streams, islands (and lots of them with great names) lochs, verdant grazing lands with sheep and cattle, gardens, castles, ghosts, monsters, stone circles, standing stones, recumbent stones, carved stones, runes, lore, music, drama and the most gracious and hospitable people you could find anywhere on this great planet. <BR> <BR>May proved to be more sunny and warm than we had anticipated. We did see some natives who had turned lobster red, having been enticed outside by the brilliant sunshine after some long winter months. Needless to say, we did bring the sunscreen and used it. <BR> <BR>Here's the broad brush of the places we visited. As time goes and if anyone wants to know any particular details, we'd be happy to share them. <BR> <BR>Okay, landed in Glasgow and then proceeded thusly: Edinburgh, Port Appin (west coast), Isle of Skye, Aberdeenshire, down the east coast and across to Dunkeld, then to St. Andrews and final night in Campsie Glen (1/2 hr. north of Glasgow near Strathblane. A total of an amazing two weeks, perhaps a marathon, but whatever exhaustion we may have encountered along the way is now being transformed by our memories.

Old May 14th, 2001, 09:43 PM
Barbara

How were the daffodils?

Old May 14th, 2001, 10:16 PM
Tony Hughes

Or the fish suppers

Old May 15th, 2001, 03:52 AM
frank

Betty, <BR> You will be pleased to know it's just turned cold now. <BR> Any walking restrictions?People keep asking here, but I haven't been out much.Everything is supposed to be opening back up now but I hear rumours that some landowners are loth to allow Joe Public back on the land. <BR>To South Uist next week!

Old May 15th, 2001, 04:38 AM
JOdy

Betty- <BR>Years ago we stayed at a very nice hotel in Campsie Glen, e were just speaking of it the other night whilst planning a future trip to Scotland. It was a very large white building set in beautiful grounds, I thimk it had Campsie Glen in the name. Would yyou know if it still there and even better the name. Thanks for any help you can give

Old May 15th, 2001, 05:56 AM
Dr. Betty

The daffodils were incredible, growing all over the place. Driving south from Aberdeen we saw cultivated hills of them, just like you would see fields of lavender in France or sunflowers in Italy. The woodlands had May flowers and wildflowers in bloom. The food, including the fish was outstanding. Meat is from those poor lambs and cows we passed along the way and they are as good as we get in Colorado. In Glasgow the Ubiquitous Chip, in Edinburgh The Apartment (near Kings Theater), Ardsheal House in Kentallen of Port Appin for best small hotel country estate sleeping and eating, St. Andrews The Saltire to name of few of the great places to eat. And of course Sheila's cooking is beyond compare. We were made to drink lots of Scotch and then we started singing. The next day we were a little slow, but visited the best museum of the trip Archeolink in Aberdeenshire. It re-creates brilliantly the picts and the scots life and art in the area. Aberdeenshire is teaming with stone circles and pictish stones. <BR> <BR>And Frank, they told us we brought the sun when we came and I figured it would be coming back with us. So sorry! <BR> <BR>And JOdy, the house is Glenmiln in Campsie Glen.

Old May 21st, 2001, 02:45 PM
Dr. Betty

Glasgow: Stayed in a non-smoking B&B in the West End called Barrisdale Guest House, with continental breakfast (www.s-h-systems.co.uk/hotels/barrisdale.html. Very spacious room with enormous bay windows, but the double accommodation consisted of 2 single beds pushed together. <BR> <BR>Many of the museums are for free and after landing, we headed out via train and then walked to Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum which was spectacular. The Glasow Boys are well displayed, as well as some beautiful pre-raphealite paintings, my favorite period of art. As a bonus, we happened to catch a wedding pary having their picures taken in the main hall and the men were in full Scottish regalia. They let me take a picture of them too. <BR> <BR>We then meandered into town and had a few beers at The Griffin. Even if you don't drink, the atmosphere is very friendly the the architecture quite elaborate with lots of stained glass and carved oak. After this, we walked over to the Kom-I-Noor Resturant on North St. for their Moghuli cuisine, which was some pretty good Indian food. Took a taxi home (taxis are very cheap and great way to get round when you're too tired to do the subway, walk or drive). <BR> <BR>The next morning was sunny and we took the subway to House for an Art Lover designed by Charles Renee Mackintosh for a German magazine contest in 1900. He didn't submit the "correct" number of drawings, so he was disqualified but he did get special recognition. In 1989, Graham Roxburgh started to build the house and it was finally finished in 1996, and is in a city park. If you like art nouveau, architecture and gardens, you must visit this house...very inspiring. The only odd thing is that it looks out onto an artificial ski slope. The lunch in their resturant downstairs was superb and you can really cash out at their gift shop.

Old May 21st, 2001, 05:08 PM
lin

Re daffodils...These were scented here! A new experience for me.

Old May 21st, 2001, 05:27 PM
Lauren

For anyone who is interested, I went to Edinburgh in August 2000 for the festivals. My trip reports are up on independenttraveler.com. They are unfortunately too long for fodors posting limitations. <BR> <BR>I just love Scotland!