Search

Rocamadour

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rocamadour

Could someone recommend a 3* hotel at nearby L'Hospitalet with a good view of Rocamadour?

Many thanks!

s
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 02:44 AM

My wife and I stayed at the Best Western a couple of years ago. Driving in can be a problem but the hotel will park your car for you
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 06:36 AM

swagman:

our favorite in the area is only a half-hour to 45-min. walk through beautifully wooded countryside..or a five minute drive with Roc in your sights along the way.

"Domaine de la Rhue"...a lovingly restored stable and farmhouse, on a very large farm property..pool, gigantic bedrooms, and reasonable rates. We had the luxury of either walking or driving into Roc before the tour busses came, or after they left....doing our daytrips in between. Family members and friends who later stayed, at our recommendation, all loved it.

It's ranked as three star, and yes, the rates have risen since the € arrived. See their site:

http://www.domainedelarhue.com/gbbienve.htm

stu t.

Old Jul 4th, 2008, 06:54 AM

Yes to Domaine de la Rhue. Not sure why you'd want a view of Rocamadour - I mean, it's a nice enough geographic location to drive up to and all, but not something you'd sit on a balcony and sigh over or anything.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 07:16 AM

Now you see, St. Cirq, we certainly can agree on something.

By the way, one of your long ago Dordogne resto recommendations, is still pleasantly fresh in our minds...the country place in the village of La Chappelle, "La Table de Terroir"...authentic and most enjoyable.

stu
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 07:26 AM

Hi, stu.

Yes, La Table du Terroir, one of my favorites. I'm hoping it's open in August so I can treat myself to another good meal there.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 07:33 AM

Yes, I was also the beneficiary of St. Cirq's tip on Le Table du Terroir, near Montignac! I had a lovely lunch there last year, when driving through the Dordogne on our way to the Albi area..

Too bad we all could not have dined there together!
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 08:12 AM

Hi EK, and St.C....

Now that we've somewhat hijacked the OP's thread (sorry Swagman), may I suggest a similar family-type, country place...a remote one at that..that is positioned just westerly from Conques and a few kms east of Decazeville...in the town of Almon les Julies:

"Frerrieres"...we went there for Sunday lunch...very plain and simple ambience , definitely local family haunt, especially after church...you take what they give, large tureens full of onion soup, and a very complete and hearty lunch with fish and/or meat course, (chicken, duck,veal) creme anglais, and a bottle of house wine included for every table. All this for $14...
a fun experience.

stu t.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 09:00 AM

We stayed in Gramat and drove to Rocamadour for lunch. Plenty of good if touristy restaurants with a terrace overlooking the valley.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 11:13 AM

EK writes:
>>>Yes, I was also the beneficiary of St. Cirq's tip on Le Table du Terroir, near Montignac! I had a lovely lunch there last year, when driving through the Dordogne on our way to the Albi area..
Too bad we all could not have dined there together!<<<

I agree, EK, and St. Cirq, being a local host, would have picked up the tab!

stu
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 11:48 AM

More likely that I would have invited you to a repas chez moi!
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 12:45 PM

Now you tell me...