Robjame's Alsace Photos

Search

Robjame's Alsace Photos

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robjame's Alsace Photos

Sorry about the deluge but I am trying to get my France photos organized before heading there again in 3 weeks.
These photos were taken May 2005 and there are a number of my favorite subject - food. These include photos from Auberge de L'ill which we both agree was our best meal in France - worth the trip to Ribeauville.

http://tinyurl.com/jyghv
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:15 AM

Hey Robert...once again, thanks for the photos..heading for Alsace in three weeks...also taking a barge trip while there, so we'll be doing the wine route...pix are excellent. Alsace is the last region of France where we have yet to visit. I quickly dropped into Strasbourg about 20 years ago. What are you using for a digital?
Stu T.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:48 AM

Thanks for the great pics. We "discovered" Alsace in '04 and cannot wait to go back someday.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
robjanme, I treated my husband there for lunch when he retired. They were so nice even though we had not made reservations. I only wished we could eat outside but it's only for apertifs and the elderly man/owner greeted everyone at the tables, very charming. I hope he's still alive.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

tower - It is a Sony Cybershot 5.1 (I think they are up to an 8 Megapixel now).
I really like the size of it. Small but not so small that my (large) hands can't work the buttons. Some digitals are just too small.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 12:21 PM

robjame, where abouts are you staying this trip to France? (You may already have posted that and I migt have missed it.)

Anselm
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Hi Anselm,
After I saw your pictures I wished it was Montaigut Le Blanc.
However here is our itinerary:
April 23-30 - Paris - Hotel Monge
May 1-2 - Lyon - Hotel La Residence
May 3 - 8 - St Remy - Le Mas des Carassins
May 9 - Le Vignan - Chateau du Rey
May 10 - Meyrueis - Chateau d'Ayres
May 11 - Estaing - Auberge St Fleuret
May 12 - Cirq Lapopie - Hotel de la Pelissaire
May 13 - 18 - Domme - L'Esplanade
May 19 - 20 - Amboise - Hotel Le Manoir Les Minimes
May 21 - 23 - Paris - Hotel Monge
May 24 - Ahmic Harbour, ON (east of Parry Sound)
The next trip will be a house rental in France and hopefully this trip will help us fix location. I am pushing for October 2006 but a new grandchild coming this summer has persuaded Sandra that perhaps spring 2007 would be better. (I showed her your trip report alone in Paris but she wasn't impressed with me going alone).
What is next on your schedule?
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 03:19 PM

A small but important correction, Robjane. While agreeing that the Auberge De L'Ill is certainly one of the best restaurants in France, it is in ILLHAEUSERN, a village about 10k distant from Ribeauville.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 03:51 PM

robjame, that looks like a great trip, and I really like the idea of using this trip to find a spot where you'd like to go back for a week or two in a rented house. (You'll make it to Auvergne eventually.)

Ahmic Harbour? Well, that sent me off to the basement for my Ontario Road Altas. Found it. I'm not familiar with the area. (The closest I've been is Lake Simcoe, where my parents ended up after moving from Quebec.) How do you get down to Pearson when you fly to Europe, if you don't mind my asking?

Our next trip starts next Tuesday. Depsite our love affair with France, Asia beckons: a week in Beijing and a week in Hong Kong.

Congratulations on the grandchild. I can understand how your wife would want to pay attention to that

Anselm
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 05:06 PM

robjame, a sudden thought: do you need a cell phone while you're in France, or are you already set up for that?

Anselm
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Anselm - I appreciate the thought but we are set up in that department. Did you get an unlocked phone?
Ahmic Harbour - We lived our working lives in Mississauga and moved up to our cottage upon retirement - now 6 months Ahmic Harbour, 5 months Florida, 1 month travel. Our children still live around Toronto so their homes are our spring boards for travel.
Is it Ottawa area for you?
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 07:20 PM

Robjame - I saw your Beaune pictures and they were great. Will look at the Alsace ones tomorrow. Its bedtime for me.

But, I say that you are staying at Mas Des Carassins. We stayed there for 5 nights last May and LOVED IT. I wanted to suggest that you eat dinner there once or twice in the garden. We had some of our most memorable meals there. The garden is enchanting and the food was just wonderful. And you can linger, mingle, drink wine, and fall into your bed in sheer bliss.

One night we had rose ice cream. It was unbelievable and unique. Its just really good food in a lovely atmosphere and really nice service from the staff and owners. And their little dog will wander around the garden and keep watch.

Thanks for the pictures and have a blissful trip.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks chicagolori - It is always great to hear positive comments about where we are staying. About this time before a trip I always start to second guess myself.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 05:12 AM

robjame, what a wonderful lifestyle--summer in Ontario cottage country, winters in the south, and a month of vacation travel. Well done.

We plan to stay in Nova Scotia at least until my wife retires, and might then think about moving to the Ottawa area. We both have close family there and our daughter is studying at U of O. (Mind you, with her wanderlust, there's no telling where she'll end up.) Time will tell, and meanwhile we have great air connections to Montreal and Toronto, so we can get to wherevere we're going fairly easily.

About the phone--we probably should have gotten an unlocked cell, but we simply walked into a phone store in France and bought an inexpensive cell. We use Orange Mobicartes. The cell is really a security blanket, as we usually use Canada Direct to call family back home.

Oh, your comment to chicagolori about second guessing your choices just before you leave? I know the feeling.

Anselm
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 05:13 AM

I meant to say a land line and Canada Direct.

A
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 11:46 AM

Robjame, thank you for sharing those pictures. I've been contemplating a trip to Alsace for a couple of years now. Your pictures have convinced me to put it on my shortlist. It's just so picturesque. I assume you rented a car and just drove from place to place. I'd also consider taking a bike tour of the area.

Thanks again.

Kate
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 08:18 AM

Love those food pics. So, can someone tell me where to find his Beaune pics? Thx.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 09:43 AM

SkiBum, here you go:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34779182

Anselm
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Anselm for answering Ski. Much appreciated.
Indy - Alsace is not my favorite part of France - with better planning than we did it could have been better. It is beautiful but parts can be very touristy as the borders to Germany are open as you know. Good biking tho.