Search

Robbed at Prague Central Bus Station

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robbed at Prague Central Bus Station

Hello Fellow Travelers,

Like most people, I read about theives and their shady ways and thought it would never happen to me BUT it did. Upon arrival in Prague, we took Student Agency bus to Prague transfer station to get on the bus to Brno. We took our luggage off and stacked it. I left to use the restroom and my husband was talking to a nice gentleman whom we had met at the airport. With good conversation and the arrival of a new crowd of people, he slightly moved. With this turn, he was no longer hovering over our bags and maybe in a passing moment, his back faced the luggage - we will never know the exact moment. When I returned from the restroom (a matter of 5 minutes), I noticed the briefcase was gone. It had a laptop with priceless pictures and data that is not backed up (our fault again), digital camera, Ipod w/Bose headset and a Blackberry. It is a miserable way to start a holiday and we are so angry that we got had. Ia moment where we felt safe, we must have lost awareness of the danger and vulnerability in being in a place where thieves have their plans. We were just plain dumb.

I had previously read about the theft rings and how prevelant they are in Prague but assumed I wouldn't be the dummy. I now know differently.

I have two bits of advise that I want to offer:

1. We never travel w/computer and we should have backed up data. In this instance, the data is the only thing we truly need and the thugs could just have all of our electronic possessions. Shame on us.

2. After analyzing how stupid we are (or how clever the thugs are), I will always have my back to a wall so as to minimize the area of vulnerability. The thugs were able to prey on us b/c once a back was turned, they could come in for the kill.

I guess I just wanted to get this off my chest and truly hope that my incident can save others. That mentioned, do all of the safety things that are suggested by the other fodor travelers. In the end, I have learned a costly lesson and can only feel gratitude that we did not get hurt and that our passports were not taken (I have photo copies in multiple places in our luggage).
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 09:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
oh dear, ally,

don't blame yourselves. it's easy to be wise AFTER the event. hopefully others can learn from your misfortune.

hope the rest of the holiday was not spoiled too much,

regards, ann
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 09:44 AM

I think the OP realizes, and admits, they did a lot of wrong things and yes, it did cause a lot of their own problems. I realize annhig means well, but it isn't true that nothing could have been done, that the OP wasn't at all at fault, and that it's easy to be wise only after the fact. A lot of the things done here were very foolish, could easily be prevented ahead of time, and I appreciate ally swallowing her embarrassment and giving advice to others to stop having this attitude that I am not at risk of theft in a major bus/train station in Europe and I don't have to watch my valuable things or be vigilant.

ally has admitted they did some dumb things, and it's good advice for others because a lot of people really do not understand this and are very careless with their belongings in public places. I see them all the time in Europe at bus and train stations doing things like that. LUckily, this really wasn't a robbery, which worried me from the heading, as that involves force and personal confrontation. This was a theft.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 09:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
well, ally, i stick to what I said. it's too easy to blame the victim, which you were in this case.

we all wish we'd acted differently at times, but that doesn't mean you have to take the blame for being the victim of a crime.

did you have travel insurance to cover your loss? [cos' if you didn't that WOULD be stupid].

regards ,ann
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 10:11 AM

Sorry this happened to you. Sounds like you have learned your lesson. Let this be a warning to other travellers. This sort of warning is never enough. This happens all the time at any big railway station anywhere. Fortunately never happened to me before although I travel a lot by train. Very typical, a small piece of luggage is stolen. Leave a big luggage on the floor but ideal would be keeping small ones on yourself all the time. I have been to Prague main railway station, once long time ago when I took a train to Berlin and recently to see a bit of architecture there. Otherwise not a particularly nice area to hang around, with a highway in front and nothing much else around (funny they have an opera house, almost next to the station, at such an area.)

Could this "nice gentleman" that somehow accompanied you to the station with you from the airport have been involved in the theft by any chance ?
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 10:16 AM

This is the first time that ally3259 has been on Fodor's. It's too bad that she has to join with such a sad story.

Falling for a glib con man at the Prague station can be understood for a first-timer in Europe. I was conned, but for only a few bucks in the Prague train station last year and I thought that I had seen and read everything on these characters in my travels, and have dueled with them a number of times all over Europe.

The bottom line is never respond to any stranger anywhere for anything.

As for computer data I think that there is no excuse. I back up my critical current files daily on a flash drive which goes in my pocket and in 'my docs,' in addition to filing them where they belong on the company intranet.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 10:58 AM

Sorry to hear about that, ally. What a horrible thing to happen. Thank you for posting this, your advice is spot-on and we all need an intelligent reminder now and then. I hope you and your husband were still able to enjoy the rest of your trip.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

The responses across the board are both comforting and amusing. This is not the first time I have used fodors as one person mentioned (hopscotch). I created a new user name and password tonight (my u/n is on my desktop back at home) so that I could
log on and tell my story.

For the hyper-cryts who want to further punish us because in a brief & costly moment we lost our sense of heightened awareness, I wonder what it might be like to be your friend in real life. You see, the story I write looks like we were idiots b/c it happened and our bag is gone but in actuality, the thugs are so clever that we don't know how it happened or why.....over the course of 5 minutes, we rack our brains trying to trace the steps but b/c we are not thieves at heart, we stumble. We did not leave our bag; I am only assuming my husband turned his back b/c how else could it be? I left to use the restroom and my husband continued to talk to a man we met at the airport. One writer questions if this man may have been involved, as I have read stories about one party who distracts and the other party who steals. I do not believe this to be the case but again, I do not think like a thief. The hyper-cryts might also want to call me niave but I don't live my life in constant fear either......this is one way to live but I choose not to do this.

For those with kind, compassionate hearts I am grateful of your words of encouragement. We consider ourselves well travelled and well educated (stamped passports from around the world and MBAs to prove it) but after an all night flight, we were less than sharp and this event just happened. We did learn our lesson though.

I simply shared our story so that the word could get out and that maybe, just maybe, I could help make one traveler smarter than the con thugs AND also maybe, just maybe, this news would put some pressure on Prague to try to manage this recurring issue. As from my standpoint, the thugs might be curtailed in their efforts if police force and camereras could capture the petty efforts and arrests would be made.

Until then, I wish the thugs a Merry Christmas and hope that the material items bring them joy. For me, I am happy that my husband and I are safe and essentially unharmed by this event.

Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 11:58 AM

I am sorry, ally. Sounds you're still on vacation, right? Please let this not ruin the rest of the trip.

Unfortunately Prague is infamous for such things to happen. It is ridiculous to blame the victims. Theft is still against the law, right? And the authorities in that city should put some more effort in putting a stop to that.

Stories like this one, that I use to hear more and more often, are one reason why I tend to avoid Prague.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 12:36 PM

I just realized. This is about the BUS terminal and I kept writing about the Central RAILWAY Station... Oh, well.

> Stories like this one, that I use to hear more and more often...

Well, I don't (at least not "more and more&quot so I keep travelling to Prague, in Christmas again, 6th times in last 1 year.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 12:45 PM
ira

Thanks for sharing, ally.

It's always good to be reminded about how easily we can be taken.

Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 12:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
My sincere sympathy ally.
I lost (or it was stolen) my wallet
at CDG before boarding for Boston.
I returned with some bug I picked up
and sat as close to a toilet. My husband ran out of euros and asked me for some to buy a beer for him and a glass of rosé for me. The last I remembered seeing it. I was so weak, I could have dropped it when thinking I was putting it in my bag or it could have been lifted while on the plane.
Don't let it spoil your holiday.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 12:58 PM

If you have a home insurance policy, you may be covered for your losses even while traveling. I recouped the material loss of items in my stolen bag. Please check when you get home. You will need a police report....good luck.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 01:23 PM

Hello ally, theft can happen to anyone at any time. The worse that happened to me was at my local supermarket. I always pay by credit card. I paid and "STUPIDLY" laid my credit card on the counter while I signed the credit card receipt. In that very short amount of time my credit card was gone!
This happened the only time I hadn't put my credit card back in my wallet before signing the receipt.

The main thing is neither of you were hurt! Arriving at a place after a long journey does cause one to often be a bit out of it so to speak. That is why some travellers like to have a bit of money they will need in the arrival country instead of finding and using an ATM as soon as they arrive.

I can only imagine how heartsick you both were having all your valuables stolen but I hope inspite of this you will still have a lovely trip. Since I am know on my own I have taken less and less as it is even harder without having a travel companion when one needs to use a restroom etc. Again, my best wishes that the rest of your trip will be happy and safe and lots of fun!
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 01:52 PM

Dear Ally: Sorry for your tough break. Anyone can be the victim of theft--anywhere. Including here in cyberspace. It's irritating to feel you have to handcuff yourself to all your luggage--but everyone who says how slick these thieves are is correct. Hope you have a good time despite.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 02:53 PM

Ally, thanks for posting and sharing your experience. I think your story is a good reminder that this can happen to ANYONE - no one is above having a bag (wallet or purse) snatched, this can happen to experienced travelers as well as a person striking out for the first time. The hyper-cryts might want to spend more time keeping track of their own belongings instead of people watching in bus and train stations where they say folks are behaving carelessly. While you are critizing the actions of others and feeling a bit superior, your carry-on bag might have just left with some one else.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 03:18 PM

Ally --
so sorry to hear this happen to you. And one thing really jumped out at me: yes, thieves take advantage of any weak spots. Being tired from the plane over happens to all of us.

We got nearly taken in Rome, while we were boarding the subway car with small children. All they got from me was my map and kleenex, but they were sure trying, and didn't care that I had my kids by the hands....it is very unsettling, but I hope the rest of your trip improves. Best to you
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 03:39 PM

ally, I am glad to see that you were not robbed of your sense of humor along with your briefcase. You were in a situation so similar to many of us after a transatlantic flight.

Thank you for posting to remind us not to let our guide down especially when we are fatigued.

Deborah
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 04:00 PM

as other said - it can happen to anyone anyplace . Don't blame yourself.

A friend had the case (with items similar to yours and some very expensive photo equipment) stolen at his HOMETOWN airport when he put the case down to check in!
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 04:52 PM

Well- my previous response was removed - so apparently I was a "hyper-crit".

Sorry - I don't think of myself as being critical - only realistic.

It simply is not safe to let go of any of your belongings in large, crowded bus or train stations. That means you can;t leave them and go to the ladies, or turn away for a chat with someone, or even just let go of your luggage.

Any large train, bus station or airport has thieves - specifically looking for people who are jet lagged and confused. The only way to safeguard your belongings is not to let go of them. To turn your back on the bags to converse with a man (possibly a partner of the thief) is the same as leaving your car in the street with the motor running and the door open. You simply can;t be surprised when it;s gone.

As for having MBAs and tons of visas in your passports - I don;t think there's anyone who will argue that education - or being well-traveled - is the same thing as exercising basic common sense.

As for not being sympathetic - I have more sympathy for people who have problems that are beyond their control (bad weather delaying flights or hotels that "walk" you) than people who ignore their own belongings in a public place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -