Road Trip - Austria and Where

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2013, 05:47 PM
pg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road Trip - Austria and Where

Hi,
I am planning for a road trip with my family comprising of my teens and my parents (60+). We have driven several times in countries west of Austria, and would like to combine Austria with one or two other neighboring countries (other than Germany) that we could cover in a 12-day road trip in a rental car. I am trying to choose between Czech Rep, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia/ Croatia.
I would appreciate some suggestions from fellow Fodorites. We like fast-paced travel that would end in a couple of liesure days. The general idea would be land in Vienna, rent a car at the airport and set-off.
Thanks to all who can share similar past experience.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 05:59 PM

Whether choosing to see the Czech Republic or Hungary, keep in mind that a car is useless in the capitals. If you are willing to not see the rest of Austria, Hungary might be a good choice. If you wish to see some of Austria, the Czech Republic might be a better choice. Your choice according to what you have gleaned from various guidebooks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...7623046345988/

The first part covers the Czech Republic

This might be appropriate except for the last picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...th/4206028537/
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 05:59 PM
pg
Original Poster

I would like to mention that this trip is planned for June 2013
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 10:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
pg - i've on;y driven in Austria [in this region] so can't really help. we have thought about touring the Czech republic/Slovakia by car, but not done it yet. there is what looks to me like an obvious circuit from Vienna east through slovakia, north through the Tatra mountains, then west through the Czech republic and back to Vienna.

if you hire a car in Vienna, you must make sure that it is OK to take it into the Czech republic and Slovakia. [or wherever].
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 07:22 AM

We did the circuit annhig mentions, but started in Munich and ended in Vienna, including the northern part of Hungary and Budapest. It was a three week trip. In those days, cross-border rentals were cheaper than returning the car to the same country.