Notices

How many days in Austria?

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 09:13 PM
hhill

How many days in Austria?

From Munich, traveling to Salzburg for 2 nights then to Vienna. How many days for Vienna to see the sites? Any day trips worthy from Vienna? Thanks

Old Apr 5th, 2004, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Salzburg is great but I liked Vienna even more. We were there for only two nights and wished we could have stayed longer. I highly recommend heading towards Vienna Woods and visiting one or several Heurigen. The food is fantastic and the atmosphere can't be beat. It is easy to get there via public transport, too!
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 07:02 AM

You didn't mention how you will be traveling -- auto, bus, train, etc. If you rent a car, which I think is the only way to go in Austria, and if you like nice scenery, I'd suggest you take a route between Salzburg and Vienna that will go through the Salzkammergut lakes and the Dachstein mountains, then eastward through the Eisenerzer Alps, and on to Vienna.

You'll get a chance to stop at beautiful spots like Hallstatt, Bad Aussee, Mitterndorf, Hieflau, Mariazell, and dozens of other interesting and scenic villages. Good luck.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 07:28 AM

I forgot to mention that I would spend 2 or 3 nights in some of the villages along the way, and as much as 4 nights in Vienna as a minimum. If you don't have that much time, cut a day out of the villages.

As for day trips from Vienna, you could head for Budapest or some of the closer Hungarian surrounding villages such as Sopron, Fertod, or Gyor. You could go up the Danube valley to one of the villages along the river, such as Durnstein. And as already mentioned, a trip along the wine route and a visit to the heurigen is worth a day. Good luck.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 08:08 AM

Austria is a beautiful country with many varied landscapes. What do you want to see in Vienna? Museums, concerts, churches, palaces? Have you done any research about Vienna to know what there is to see? Without knowing any more details on your preferences, I would say to allow at least 3 to 4 days for Vienna if not more.