Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Riiing cell phone question - xyz are you there

Mar 8th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Original Poster

xyz - resident expert (or anyone else who knows) - I am thinking of getting a Riiing sim card and just want to make sure I'm not reading anything wrong. According to what I can figure out from their website - I can receive incoming calls (in France, Spain, Denmark, Portugal - which are the countries I plan to visit this year) from the US for free. People in the US will need to call a Lichetenstein number (but with 10-10-987 that is only 4cents a minute). If I make outgoing calls from those countries back to the US it will cost me 39 cents a minute. Am I right so far? Missing any fees or anything?

To keep the card current it has to be used once every nine months. If I don't go to Europe for that period of time could I use it in the US (put the sim card in my cell phone and just call myself for a minute or two from my land line). It looks like that would be 79 cents a minute. Would that be all I need to do to keep it current?

Lastly - where to buy it. Telestial.com says they are out of stock. Riing's own webpage - which says it is "United Mobil" (same thing?) also sells them, and they offer two methods of shipping but don't say how long it takes (I leave in one week). Where would they be sending it from (US, Lichetenstein, elsewhere?).

Thanks for your help.
Mar 8th, 2006, 06:55 AM

I am posting to raise your inquiry to the top of the heap...
I think Telestial is not the favored vendor, if memory serves... I seem to recall that United Mobal was preferred. I know nothing else!
Mar 8th, 2006, 07:03 AM

This was quite a while ago, but I bought my Riiing SIM from Ebay. I think it was $35 with $5 worth of calling preloaded.
Hope this helps.
Mar 8th, 2006, 07:09 AM

Several things..

For the most part you are right on...remember the 39 cents is 39 euro cents so you have to add 20%...currently you can buy the united mobile (riiing is no longer branded separately from united mobile) on its web site and when I bought mine, it arrived in 2 or 3 days. You can also now buy the united mobile (riiing) sim card denominated in US dollars and I think the rounded charge is 49 US cents/minute...there is also a 25 euro cent set up fee (not per minute) for each call and calls are rounded up to the next minute; talk for 61 seconds and you pay for 2 minutes (78 + 25 set up fee or €1,03). Also you have to check carefully the ld rates not to Liechtenstein but to Liechtenstein mobiles...they vary humongously and there are some American ld carriers that charge as much as $1.49/minute to call Liechtenstein..

You can also open up an account with callbackworld at www.callbackworld.com...they charge 14 US/minute rounded in 6 second intervals to call from anywhere receiving calls is free on united mobile to the USA; at present the service is working well..in essence they give you a dedicated US number which you dial (do remember that on united mobile this will involve a call back i.e. you dial the number are told to wait and then your phone rings) you will hear a ringing tone...you hang up and get a second callback which tells you to enter the number you are calling followed by the # key and the call goes through. Callback world also gives you an 800 number and a pin which you can give to your friends to reach you keyed in to the Liechtentein mobile at the same 14/minute rate rounded in 6 second intervals. When the system works, it's beautiful and as I said at present it is working but there have been times when it has gone down. The other caveat is that as united mobile has increased in popularity, rates have risen dramatically. There is another call back system called enlinea which works the same way as callback world...over night 2 months ago they raised the rates to Liechtenstein mobiles from 12/minute to 42/minute..some are wondering just how long callback world can hold out..there has to be some sort of problem with the termination fees causing this rapid rise in rates.

As far as keeping the card valid, yes absolutely you make one call say to your voicemail on your united mobile phone from the USA within the 9 month period and you're validity is extended another 9 minths..it will cost whatever the rate is to make calls from the US (maybe as much as €1,09/minute plus of course the pesky 0,25€ set up fee but most assuredly that will work.

Hope that helps...go right to the web site and order your card now...you should have it in time.... (and don't use telestial, they are a bunch of rip off artists who triples the costs of the sim cards they sell)...
Mar 8th, 2006, 07:33 AM

xyz. Maybe you know this.

If I have a United Mobile phone with a United Mobile SIM and an unlocked phone with a Riiing SIM and decide to take them both with me:
How do I know how much I pay? This would only be between my husband and myself if we go our separate ways and decide to meet up.
I have callback world for the calls to US. I was just wondering if I get the United Mobile to United Mobile rate since the companies are now one. But of course, I bought my SIM cards and phone many months ago but that trip was cancelled. Neither SIM has ever been used.
Mar 8th, 2006, 07:43 AM

I use GlobalPhone callback service, also in Liechtenstein, which earlier this week quoted me about 8 cents per minute calling the USA from France, and free incoming calls...
Mar 8th, 2006, 07:44 AM

To the best of my knowledge, you pay the same as to any other mobile, thereis no united mobile to united mobile rate.....also there might be a surcharge to call another mobile (it's in the fine print) as with everything else when you call a mobile in Europe from no matter where there is a surcharge to the caller to cover the fact the recipient doesn't pay.

As far as knowing how much each call costs, you can check your balance for free and it is immediately updated after a call is made.
Mar 8th, 2006, 11:01 AM

I asked because briefly looking at the website, it said something about United mobile to United mobile. It gave the price as E.39.
I was curious.
Jun 16th, 2006, 06:07 AM

For xyz123 (or anyone who can help):

I know that you are not a fan of Telestial, but...

With their Explorer SIM Card, the phone number begins with "372", which I believe is the country code for Estonia. In order for people from the US to call me while I'm travelling, would they then try to find a plan where calls to Estonia are inexpensive, similar to 10-10-987 to Lichtenstein at 4 cents per minute?

Would you be able to recommend a good option? Thank you! Your explanations and advice on phones have been really helpful.
Jun 17th, 2006, 05:16 AM

According to a customer service rep at Telestial: One of their roaming CIM cards is based in Estonia. Another (the Passport) is based in the UK.