Naive cell phone question

Old May 13th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naive cell phone question

At home in the U.S., I have a cheap Virgin cell phone (less than $20), for which I buy minutes every three months--also about $20 for 3 months. Obviously I don't use the cell except for emergencies. I don't usually talk on the phone for recreation.

Will it be possible for me to have a cheap cell phone arrangement like this in Europe? That is, are cheap phones and cheap minutes like this commonly available? If so, will I be able to use it from year to year--that is, refill the minutes the next time I'm in Europe and use the same phone? I ask this question because I had a Tracphone a while back which became obsolete, so that I was unable to continue using it.
Old May 13th, 2010, 02:53 PM

Can't answer your question because I'm as naive as you are (cell phone virgins at our age!) but I am wondering where you're off to. I love your reports.
Old May 13th, 2010, 03:14 PM

Yes, similar products are available worldwide. You would need an GSM phone plus the the little chip that contains the minutes, called a SIM. A cheap SIM might expire if you do not use all its value (terms vary), so you would have to buy a new one on the next trip (which you might want to do anyway of you are going to a different country). The phone will still be OK

I am not techie enough to explain further, but you can start with a search here using sim and gsm.
Old May 13th, 2010, 03:27 PM

In almost all European countries, you can buy a cheap phone + pay-as-you-go SIM card combo for as little as 20 euro or £20 from a wide range of outlets like phone shops, supermarkets and electronic shops. And since most networks have roaming agreement throughout Europe, and since EU caps roaming costs, you can use your phone just about anywhere without paying high charges. One thing you do need to bear in mind is that SIM validity varies among networks, and while some providers allow you to keep your number and credit from one year to the next, others cancel your SIM and/or credit if you don't use it or recharge it within set intervals, often 6 months or a year. French networks tend to have quite harsh rules on this. So when you buy your phone + SIM, find out how to keep your number and credit valid - then normally it's just a question of sending one text message every six months or recharge your phone online using credit card. You may want to buy your phone in UK or Ireland, as all information will be in English and topping up credit will be easily done online.
Others have had good service with Mobal, where you can buy a phone + UK SIM from $49 before you leave and know what your number will be. While per minute call cost is high - typically $1.50 a min, it's ok for emergency use and incoming calls are free in UK.
Old May 13th, 2010, 03:37 PM

Hi Pegontheroad,
There are several opinions on this forum from seasoned travelers but I can only tell you of mine. We bought a $29 phone w/ charger and a $29 sim card from Call In Europe. We used it extensively during three months in Europe for both incoming and outgoing calls to the US. If you plan to use it only for emergencies then the phone, sim and $12 shipping will be your primary expense.

We had absolutely no trouble using it, small towns, big cities, both had great reception. Check out their site and call them. They are very helpful and friendly and do not pressure you at all. I know that you have to use the phone a certain amount (which we easily used) or you have to pay a small ($20?) charge. I now have the phone deactivated and waiting for our next trip.

Have fun,
Michele
Old May 13th, 2010, 04:23 PM

Here's one

http://www.parislogue.com/travel-tip...s-tips-29.html

And, I don't know if the price is still the same, but Virgin Mobile had phones for €30 including some startup time.

But, if you have a GSM phone (unlocked), it's probably better to use your home service or get a Call in Europe SIM, so you don't have to worry about instructions in French. Not the very cheapest, but very convenient.
Old May 13th, 2010, 04:53 PM

About a month and a half ago, I had extra time on my hand and wrote a wonderful explanation for beginners about the use of pay as you go (PAYG) cell plans in Europe along with an explanation of such terms thrown out here such as unlocked gsm phone, sim card, bopping up, GSM...if you click on my name and go back to some time in March, you can probably find my excellent post.

Others here have covered it. Call in Europe is easy but not the cheapest deal imaginable. If you are going to the UK first, you will be amazed at just how cheap PAYG service is there (it starts at free for a sim card) with dirt cheap calls to foreign (outside the UK) phones for as little as 3p/minute. If you are not familiar with British money, that is less than 4.5 cents US/minute and dropping rapidly. Also with English sim cards, you have the added advantage as Alec noted of not having much of a language problem as English and American or Canadaian or Australian whatever your naitive language is are reasonably close languages.

PAYG service in Europe is almost a way of life as a matter of fact and very easy to set up and in most countries (France excepted), very cheap.
Old May 13th, 2010, 05:09 PM

I have a GSM phone and in 2007 I bought a Vodaphone SIM in Germany for which the minutes apparently never expire (which I take to mean that I can still use the number now). I will be using it later this month (3 weeks in Germany). I think Vodaphone is probably one of the pricier providers in Germany. I know from the posts on this forum that you can also buy cheap SIMs from Aldi, Lidl or MediaMarkt (I think fonic.de is one of the providers), but I have no idea about the expiry factor for the cheaper SIMs. I have the added advantage that I can tell people my phone number before I go, but if this doesn't matter to you, go for one of the cheap ones. Logos999 has provided a lot of useful information on the subject of cheap SIMs and cheap dongles for internet access (he mentioned Tchibo also in this regard) and you might try doing a search on his posts (that is, if you don't mind me saying so, logos999).

Lavandula
Old May 13th, 2010, 05:30 PM

great info! thanks
Old May 13th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Yes, thanks.
Old May 14th, 2010, 04:39 AM

I use Skype Mobile on my iphone to call anywhere when I am traveling in Europe. You do need to be in a wifi area but that is the only limitation. It is cheap, reliable and easy.
Old May 14th, 2010, 08:00 PM

Hi, Peg. I have that same un-hi-tech Virgin phone as you, which can't be used in Europe. I checked out the Call in Europe phones but decided on Telestial as it was cheaper to purchase, and my husband was also concerned about linking our credit card to the CIE phone. http://www.telestial.com/

We got home last night after spending 3 weeks in Europe and it worked great for texting and calling to the US, the UK, Spain and France. It came with both a US number and a European number (it's a 44 prefix, so I guess it's a UK number) so people in the US didn't have to make an international call. It came in very handy a couple of times, though I'm not one for gabbing on the phone. (Hence the Virgin phone.)

The SIM cards are only good for a year, so I guess it's basically a throw away phone.
Old May 14th, 2010, 08:34 PM

I used Telestial before I knew better...their prices are ridiculous!
Old May 14th, 2010, 11:27 PM

The SIM cards are only good for a year, so I guess it's basically a throw away phone.

Why would you throw the phone away because the SIM expired?
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:31 PM

<I used Telestial before I knew better...their prices are ridiculous!>

I'm sure that's true for you, but it worked for me. The complete package (including a global SIM, 25 minutes of airtime, shipping & handling) cost $70. I made a few short calls but mainly texted, and came home with 14 minutes left. All I needed was the security of a cell phone, "just in case." (Which is why I have the same Virgin option as the OP.)

<Why would you throw the phone away because the SIM expired?>

Good point. It seemed like most of the package cost was the global SIM, extra minutes, and the S/H. Didn't seem worth storing the phone for a couple of years to save <$20. Also, by the next time I'm over there, technology will have probably made this phone obsolete ...