Reload this Page >

Pre-Paid Cell Phone

Search

Pre-Paid Cell Phone

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2007, 03:48 PM
jrpinto

Pre-Paid Cell Phone

I am going to make a couple of trips to Europe this year. I understand that I can purchase cell phones at the airport when I land. Do I do this for EVERY country I visit, or do I get the same rate all over Europe?

JR

Old Sep 16th, 2007, 03:58 PM
sjj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think this is a good strategy. Assuming that you're familiar with gsm phones and sim cards, you can buy a cell phone that works in Europe (but not in the US) along with a sim card with $20 calling time (at $0.99/minute) for $49 at Telestial.com. Alternatively, you can buy an unlocked gsm phone on ebay (I recommend a Nokia 6610) for $50 to $60, shipping included, and then buy a sim card in each country you visit. This is a good option if you plan on doing lots of calling. If not, buy a phone on ebay and look at www.prepaidgsm.net/en/international.html
for sim cards that can be used throughout western Europe. A final option, recommended by people who want their phones only for emergencies, is to buy a phone at Mobal.com. The Mobal phone + sim card combination is very reliable but the calling rates are high.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 06:01 PM

We really don't have enough info to give you complete advice either. Who do you have cell service with in the US? If it is AT&T or TMobile, then you have a phone with a SIM card already. Both companies have different policies about unlocking, but I know that TMobile will send you the unlock code on request after you have been a customer for a minimum amount of time--I think 90 days, but check their website to verify. I have been a customer of theirs so long that I didn't really key into that aspect of the situation. If you can get the unlock code from one of those two companies, then you can purchase a SIM card on arrival and pop it in your international phone and it will work just fine. If you don't have an "international" phone--quad band is best--is it time for an upgrade? Might well be worth it in the long run.

I did purchase a "global SIM" before my trip this summer, but found out after I arrived that it would have been FAR cheaper to have bought local SIM cards wherever I went and just emailed the phone number home after I got it. That is what I will do next time. To give a cost comparison...I paid $50 for a Lichtenstein global SIM with 15 Euros airtime and reloads costing $90 each (now up to $100) which gave me approximately 40 minutes of time to the US and free incoming. After the first reload, I decided to shop locally. I paid approximately $13 for a local SIM in Serbia and got free incoming and approximately 45 minutes outgoing to the US (at about .50/minute to the US).

TMobile unlocked my phone for free and I will keep it and use it next time.

Old Sep 19th, 2007, 03:56 AM
jrpinto

Thank you! This gives me plenty of stuff to research!

Old Sep 19th, 2007, 05:07 AM
sjj

jrp - If you take a phone to Europe, check to see that a) it's a gsm phone, and b) that it operates on the European frequencies, 900 mhz and 1800 mhz. If you intend buying a sim for use in Europe, be sure that your phone is unlocked. And finally, I would buy a local sim in each country you visit only if you intend to do a lot of calling. If not, I would buy an international sim despite the higher calling rate.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 03:15 PM

Travelers,
Check out phone sims at www.sim4travel.com. I usually pick mine up for Europe when I am in the UK. I use a store there called carphone warehouse, where I also get a sim for UK, which is free when you load on $20.00 air time.
Free incoming calls in over 80 countries.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 03:18 PM

I forgot, I had my cell phone company, at the time, cingular, sent me an unlock code for my v557 motorola gsm phone.