Rick Steves' Ireland

Search

Rick Steves' Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rick Steves' Ireland

Why, specifically, do those of you who hate Rick Steves hate him so much? Inaccurate info and/or offensive remarks and/or leaving out fave places and/or what else? Would be most helpful to know. (Just for the record, I've read/am reading Steves, Fodor's, Lonely Planet, this and other travel blogs/fora, and have skimmed Nat'l Geographic guidebk.)
Thanks!
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 08:55 AM

My antipathy to Rick started years ago when I read one of his tips for having a whole train compartment to himself - his tactic was to let his socks and shoes get really smelly and then take the shoes off and whiff - the locals soon relocated.

This Uber Ugly American attitude turned me off - that said I think books are good if prescriptive and I applaud Rick's constant support to legalize marijuana - his web site has often had links to NORML (National Organization for Reform of Marijuana Laws) and other free the weed groups. Hats off to him as I suspect this does not create any more business for him but may turn off (not on) others.
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 09:07 AM

I often wondered the same thing. I like Rick Steves guides, they are down to earth and don't promote $500 a night hotels. I'm sure his attitude has "grown up" with the years and he now keeps his shoes and socks on. If his guides and videos gives travelers the courage to make their first trip to Europe, I applaud him.
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 09:10 AM

We used his book for our trip to Ireland in 2003. The information was useful and practical. I took his suggestions for B&Bs and I was satisfied with every one I booked. The only one I did not like I chose from another guidebook for our Dublin leg.
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 09:12 AM

. I'm sure his attitude has "grown up" with the years and he now keeps his shoes and socks on.>

Naw I think it is his personality that caused him to behave so selfishly with the train stinky socks thing - I am about the same age and took many trains and never ever would have thought of that - a complete disregard for locals and I do not think that was just a younger Rick.

And Rick's books also once endorsed filling your pockets with all the food you can scurry away from the breakfast buffets to eat later in the day - that too is very telling about his character.
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 09:19 AM

I'm not who Rick aims at - having traveled much too much already.

What I resent is that he seems to have a very few favorite places that he continually touts - and he promotes the idea of making the pension owners and shopkeepers your best friends. They are not looking for that - and I'm certainly no looking for that.

I expect professional service - not to become the best friend of someone running a cheese shop (and why does he act as if only europe has cheese - when there is a shop with more than 200 cheeses less than a mile from my house?)

IMHO he panders to the least common denominator.

And, personally, I find him just really creepy.
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 09:27 AM

I don't consider myself the lowest common denominator (but no one does) and I find his books generally helpful for the logistics and overall plan. I usually add a little more time, do some other research and eat elsewhere. I like the format of his books and usually start there. To each, their own.

For those new to travel (and perhaps American) he is quite helpful.

For Ireland, we found his Slea Head tour useful. We used his advice in other places as well but also picked up some tips from this forum as well.
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 09:34 AM

I always buy a Rick Steves guidebook when I'm going to a new country. One of the things I like is that he suggests an itinerary and he limits the destinations that he writes about. If I'm going to a country for the first time, I don't need to have information about as many places as is contained in a Fodors or a Frommers guide.

When I'm ready to go to Croatia and Slovenia, I'll use a RS guide to suggest an itinerary, although I already have a Fodors guide. The Fodors really has too much information, and it's hard for me to sort through it.

If I'm returning to a country I've visited in the past I'll probably use a different guidebook.

Since other guides can weigh a pound and a half, it's nice to have a book that's a little lighter. I'm always trying to find ways to keep down the weight of stuff I'm hauling around.

I think his early guides catered to beginning travelers who were on skimpy budgets--thus the idea about snitching a bread roll to use for lunch. I don't condone that behavior, of course.
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 09:49 AM

Rick Steves is a little bit of a "dork" and that can put some ppl off. I've found some things he discusses helpful but I agree w the person who said he doesn't appeal to the masses. His target reader scenario: Grandma's first trip to Europe. he does well w his intro to Europe approach IMO
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 10:06 AM

St Rick of Steves likes what St Rick of Steves likes and everything/everywhere else is just plain not worth sweet FA.

Then the Tips like Putting "L" learner plates on the rental car (border line illegal(will get a pull from the Garda anyway)), turning in the side mirrors (fully illegal will get you a fine from the Garda) and taking off hub caps because you aren't capable of driving without breaking them??

Basically when it comes to Ireland the man is not respected.
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 11:15 AM

I think that his "Off the Beaten Path" idea, an excellent one, has made tourists leave the path for the Tourist Super Highway.

I haven't been to Ireland, but in other places, notably Venice and Paris, one sees his readers following his routes faithfully, when there are equally good places, perhaps better, nearby. The Rue Cler is perhaps the most infamous example of this "Stevesing" of Europe: a perfectly fine neighborhood market has become a must-see, and a cafe on that street has become an exemplar of the type.

I do appreciate his helping people be comfortable with *** and even ** hotels and be comfortable about eating local food.
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 11:21 AM

We used Rick Steves for our trip to Turkey. I think his tips to the attractions are spot on and saved us some hassles. However his lodgings and restaurants are pretty awful and cater to more the American taste. For restaurants and hotels- the Trip Advisor forums are the best.

However, I like his travel philosphy of being a temporary local and enjoying the culture rather than just staying in an American hotel and group tours.
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 11:58 AM

Many years ago, I went to Spain with a friend who insisted on going "the Rick Steeves" way.

We ate at a restaurant in Madrid that had formica tables and a blaring TV hung from the wall.

That ended the Rick Steeves way very quickly.

After that, we made it up as we went along, and it was much nicer.
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, y'all! (I'd never heard of him at all - don't watch whatever TV station he's on- till started looking for/at guidebks.) Haven't seen described tips, which I agree sound obnoxious and/or tacky. More concerned with whether his info about specific places (regions, towns, individual sites) and suggested routes is accurate...
Old Apr 26th, 2013, 02:47 AM

As I said If St Rick as he is affectionately known in Dingle likes somewhere he can get millions of tourists to visit, glorifying the place far beyond its scope. If he doesn't like a place he has no thought about degrading its value generally cursing it as only fit for substandard tourists or I believe he once said Bunratty was only fit for coachloads of Yanks??

Basically his guide books or at least his Irish one is misguided, misleading, patronising in parts and totally self opinionated. There are far better unbiased offerings on any library shelf.

Best of all There are any number of travel forums where you can get the advice of travellers who have paid their own way and write there own rhetoric without reporting on places they or their researchers have been paid to see, eat or stay.
Old Apr 26th, 2013, 04:25 AM

He's wonderful for unintentional humour,
http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/desti...achcombing.htm
"We hopped out of our big black cab under the statue of the one-eyed, one-legged and single-minded English naval hero, Lord Nelson, on the square named after his greatest battle"

I just love the idea of Nelson doing dot and carry one around his quarterdeck with his peg leg like Long John Silver.

BTW, I protest on behalf of American grannies making their first trip to Europe. I'm sure that their socks and clean and fragrant
Old Apr 26th, 2013, 04:27 AM

did Rick Steves discover the Cinque Terre and Gimmelwald as many claim?

No of course not and that is nonsense. He did put Rue Cler on the tourist radar in Paris however.
Old Apr 26th, 2013, 04:42 AM

While I would never rely on just one travel guide, I do usually read Rick Steves' book in preparation for a trip--in addition to Fodors, Frommers, and Lonely Planet.

I sued his 22 day Ireland itinerary as a skeleton for planning our 34 day trip--it was someplace to start, but I've added and changed based on what else I've read. Creating an itinerary from scratch was a bit daunting in the beginning of my planning, and no other book had one that long.
Old Apr 26th, 2013, 06:37 AM

@ Abram....http://www.markandmonica.com/Travel/Ireland.htm and lots of other options all you need do is ask
Old Apr 27th, 2013, 04:40 AM

I do sometimes ask questions, both here and on Trip Advisor--but I get tired of the chastising and unpleasantly critical remarks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -