Rhone valley or Burgundy

Search

Rhone valley or Burgundy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rhone valley or Burgundy

Rhone valley/South of rhone valley OR Burgundy which place is more scenic? Thanks
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 11:11 AM

Been to both many times and feel both are nice scenic places but the southern part of the Rhone Valley if talking about teh Avignon area to me has a lot more to see and do than pastoral Burgundy.

But if scenic is the requirement both are scenic in way different ways. If interested in wine I'd go to Beaune and Burgundy - if into ancient cities like Avignon, Arles, St-Remy-de-Provence and stunning ruined towns like Les Baux or the Roman aqeductd the Pont du Gard and zillions of other ancient towns I'd go for the Avignon-Arles area.
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 11:27 AM

You may want to top this thread as it sunk out of view of others, especially French experts like Stu Dudley and St-Cirq and others who would probably comment but have not seen the post before it went into Fodor's black hole!

ttt = topping this thread (to bring it back to the top if you did not get enough answers)
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 03:24 PM

Both are very scenic; Burgundy is greener, with lush rolling hills and forests, along with picturesque villages and towns.

But we also like the Rhône Valley, although it is not as scenic as Provence (I wouldn't classify the lower Rhône Valley as Provence). So it all depends on what you're after.
Old Apr 12th, 2014, 01:35 PM

I agree with Underhill. But Burgundy is SO scenic! I spent almost 2 weeks driving around to different parts of Burgundy, and each place was prettier than the next. There are also some wonderful chateaux and abbeys to visit, and medieval villages. The northern areas, Beaune, Maconnais - take your choice!
They are all wonderful!
Old Apr 12th, 2014, 03:38 PM

The area between Auxerre and about 15K north of Lyon is stunning. Sue4 described it pretty good. From Macon to Lyon the scenic stuff is west of the Rhone. We didn't find the Bresse area (to the east of the Rhone) to be nearly as scenic as other regions in Burgundy/Beaujolais.

From 15K north of Lyon to about 15 K south of Valence there is a lot of pretty un-sightly commerce and nuclear power plants. You're "hemmed in" by the rugged Ardeche to the west and the canyons of the Vercours region of the Alps to the east. There are some interesting Roman Ruins - but you are asking about "scenic".

South of Valence you are in the Drome/Provence - which is quite scenic - except the area just north, east, and south of Avignon.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 12th, 2014, 03:51 PM

FYI, Burgundy is easier driving--considerably less traffic than in Provence.