Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best wine region visits - where in France would you spend 8 days?

Old Jun 6th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were thinking the Loire Valley b/c of the chateaus, culture and wine exploration - but should we be thinking rhone valley or another area? We love wine, meandering, hiking, countryside, small villages but speak NO french. Help is requested!
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 04:51 PM
rex

Beaune to Dijon.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 05:05 PM

I would consider 3 possibilities - plus the Loire for a fourth.

1. Provence/Cote du Rhone. Lots of diverse stuff to see & do there. Fantastic cities like Aix, Arles, Avignon, Nimes, and lots of cute small perched villages. Rich in Roman ruins. Very scenic & varying countryside (Alps are right there). Lavender in late early summer. More predictably good weather than the other choices. Best weekly farmers/antiques/craft markets in France (for tourists) IMO. Not many Chateaux. You could spend months in Provence and be quite busy.

2. Burgundy - fantastic food (better than Provence, IMO). Many Chateaux. Dijon is my favorite city in France (after Paris), and Auxerre & Beaune are favoriotes. Not as many cute little villages as in Provence & Alsace, and the countryside is not as diverse as it is in Provence. You could spend a week or two in Burgundy & be quite busy.

3. Alsace - Wine Spectator called it the prettiest winegrowing region in the world. Strasbourg is one of my favorite large cities, and Colmar is one of my favorite small cities. The wine villages are the most photogenic in France, IMO. Great food - even of you don't like pork & sauerkraut. However, the villages are very similar and start to get a little repetitive after awhile. Not many chateaux. You could spend a week in Alsace & be quite busy.

4. Loire - the Chateaux are the main draw here, IMO. The countryside is not as scenic or diverse as the other three. I didn't find any large cities I liked here as much as I liked Dijon, Strasbourg, Auxerre, Aix, Avignon, Arles, or Nimes. Small villages were not as cute as in Provence or Alsace. Food is quite good. If you get "chateau-ed out" after about 6-7 - you might get a little bored with the Loire in 8 days.

Just one person's opinion .

Stu Dudley
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 09:53 PM

I have been to all of the above and enjoyed Provence the most. Stu is right, lots to see and do there. I enjoyed all the villages and we did a lot more wine tasting in Provence than we did in the Loire.

We did enjoy the Loire but I don't think I would want to spend 8 days there. How about dividing your time - If you haven't been to France, perhaps Paris and the Loire??

In any of the areas Stu mentioned you will want a car to get around. We have made the mistake too many times of not getting a car and it really isn't that difficult to drive in France.

The further you get from the big cities, the fewer people speak English. While I wouldn't say speaking French is essential, it always helps to learn at least a little of the language and customs no matter what country you are visiting. If you want to learn a little French before you go, you can find lots of threads devoted to which method is the best. I have used Pimsleur CD's with much success. Checked them out from the library.
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 11:47 PM

Great advice above! You cant go wrong with any of Stu's suggestions!
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 01:12 AM

Stu, what a classic comparison of the various areas. Spot on as some would say and so helpful.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 01:17 AM

I suppose it depends on your preferences. If it's wine, then probably Bordeaux region. If it's Chateaux, then the Loire.

One of my favourite areas is the Beaujolais "valley" South of Macon. I love the Gamay grape and the ten Beaujolais "Cru's" in this area are fantastic for lovers of the wine. It's a laid back place and lots of wine tastings.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 05:03 AM

Stu's suggestions are perfect. I would add that although Bordeaux is perhaps the most venerable wine, the region itself is a bore to visit. And I would have a hard time spending 8 days in the Loire. So I'd narrow it down to Provence (1st choice), Burgundy (2nd for me), and Alsace (3rd) if you want the best combination of wine and scenery/attractions. I'd put Alsace 3rd only because it's the least truly French (it's been part of Germany 11 times throughout history and has a distinctly Germanic flavor).
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 01:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd stick with your original idea of the Loire. The wines in general aren't as well known abroad as those of Bordeaux, Burgundy, Beaujolais and the Rhone (and Alsace, to a lesser extent), but the top quality wines are just as good and rather cheaper. And there's plenty of variety - red, white, rose, dry, sweet, sparkling.

Some of my favourite producers to visit are Baumard, Georges Brunet, Langlois-Chateau, Gratien & Meyer, Brochard (Sancerre) and the Co-op in Vouvray. The first 2 of those make some world class wines, particularly the lusciously sweet desert wines and Baumard's Savennieres. All except Brunet are large enough to have English speaking guides, and Brunet fils speaks English - but get the local tourist offices or your hotel to make the appointments for you, either in advance or as soon as you arrive in the area.

Don't bother going down river as far as Muscadet unless you are a particular fan of that AC. But you could also visit le Loir in 8 days, the smaller river to the north, and sample unusual ACs such as Jasnieres. The towns on le Loir (eg. la Chartre sur le Loir, la Fleche) are a bit smaller and less touristy, it makes a nice change.

Fontevraud Abbey is a great place to stay, and not that expensive for such fabulous and historic surroundings.

Hope you enjoy it!
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 02:20 PM

I would head straight to Burgundy for at least several days, then south to the Rhône Valley and upper Provence. Burgundian wines are incredibly wonderful, as is tasting them where they are born. Burgundy is also full of beautiful scenery, chateaux, ancient abbeys, and some of the best food in France.

The Rhône Valley has any number of excellent wines, and upper Provence has all those charming hilltop villages to explore. And the open-air markets, too.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 11:19 PM

a minor possible divergence on this. The great wines- the Bordeaux, the Burgundies and the Champagnes- are all available pretty much everywhere in the world. There are many GOOD wines from France which are not.

We have become, over the last few years, immensely fond of the wines of the South West, and in particular, of Madiran and the Jurancon.

They are not easily found overseas. The chateaux are smaller, and are often just little domaines. But the people are lovely, the wine is good, the ordinary food is to die for (as opposed to what you get in the Michelin places, which are fewer and further apart).

You also get quality meandering, countryside, hiking and small villages, PLUS the mountains and the beach within easy reach.

Minor issue about the French. English is not so ubiquitously spoken, but you'll still manage fine
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 06:07 AM

I would be inclined to agree with some of the others, it all depends upon what you want from a wine tour. Do you want to see architecturally beautiful chateaux, taste well known wines and learn how they are made or discover the more unknown wines from smaller appellations. Whatever you decide you must organise your tour in advance. France doesn't do well with walk-ins. Most wineries are by appointment only and in the high season (May - Oct)it can be very full. Harvest time (usually end sept) is an exciting time to go as there is a lot of action but most premier wineries are closed. I would say the comment above about Bordeaux being dull is purely because the person did not plan their tour in advance.

The foremost wine region is Bordeaux where I have lived for the past 15 yrs. And as it happens work in wine tourism. All the top names are located in St Emilion, Pomerol, the medoc and some in Bordeaux intra-muros. You have casual visits with the owners or more formal tours all in English. There really is something for everyone.

If you want to learn about wine and wine tasting there are several courses on offer in and around the area (CIVB, the Ecole du Bordeaux and at Vignobles et Chateaux). If you really do needthebeach while you are here, Cap Ferret and Arcachon Bay are not far for a change of scenery for a day or two. Bordeaux is only 3hrs on the TGV (fast train) from Paris and 1 hr by plane. The town center is small and easy to negotiate. There are plenty of restaurants to cater to all tastes and budgets.

There is also a cycle Path from the beach at Lacanau all the way to Sauveterre de Guyenne in the Entre deux Mers region. bycles are available for rent in several locations on the path.
My company is Bordeaux Saveurs but you can look on the Tourist office websites for Bordeaux, Gironde or Aquitaine.
Good luck!
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 06:07 AM
ira

Hi need,

>where in France would you spend 8 days? <

Assuming that you recognize that Paris is not France:

A. The Dordogne
B. Alsace
C. Burgundy.

I'm not sure where to put Provence, as I haven't been there yet.

You might find these helpful:
Ira Does France (Bordeaux, Dordogne, Paris) 2005
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=34676645

Ira Visits Europe – May, 2007 (Salzburg, Fuessen, Bodensee, Burgundy, Alsace)
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=35014078

Ira Visits Zurich, The Bodensee, Alsace and Paris – May 2008
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=35136218

Old Jul 1st, 2009, 06:49 AM

>

Funny. Actually, I've owned a house in the Périgord for almost 18 years and have spent countless weeks in the Bordeaux area. It's dull (by comparison to many other wine areas of France). The wine's not dull; the area is.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 07:27 AM

I'm not a fan of Pinot Noir so Burgundy reds were not near as fun to taste for me as were the Cote du Rhones in Provence. I also thought Provence far more interesting, but both are worth a visit (in our case, biking tours). Decide what you want and then do your research. You can't really go wrong.