Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rex posts the prototype design of the Fodor's logo ribbon pin - an actual photograph.

Search

Rex posts the prototype design of the Fodor's logo ribbon pin - an actual photograph.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 07:03 PM
Rex

Okay, here it is: <BR> <BR>www.geocities.com/rexbickers/LogoPin.htm <BR> <BR>Remember, this is case-sensitive. <BR> <BR>Write to me if you want one. <BR> <BR>And for those who want to know what this is all about, and where were its origins, I am topping the thread "A Ribbon in your Lapel", "A new ribbon logo" and "Preliminary design for the Fodor's logo ribbon pin" (read them in this order). <BR>

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 07:11 PM
Jeff

In that longest thread someone from Fodors said they were going to make a pin for the readers. Why are you doing it also?

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 07:18 PM
Rex

Answer #1: for fun. <BR> <BR>Answer #2: I think I first suggested putting the logo together with the ribbon to make a pin. <BR> <BR>Answer #3: no indication that they are really going to do it. <BR> <BR>Answer #4: same reason more than one airline flies to Europe - - because they think they can do it as well as or better than the next guy. <BR> <BR>Why do I think that other people will add more answers to this thread? <BR>

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 08:46 PM
kalena

OK, Rex. The sheer orchestration of these ribbon threads all at the top of the Europe forum is very impressive, so I'll take the bait. <BR> <BR>Yes, I do recall you were the first to suggest a logo/ribbon combination. Although to me the ribbon all by itself seems a bit more free-spirirted than any pin/ribbon combo, and that's what I'm leaning towards. Besides, it fits my idea of chic while in Paris. <BR> <BR>I did raise an issue somewhat related to Jeff's above about possible copyright infringement (in the thread about Fodorites in Paris ) . Granted, your two motiffs may be generic enough that they are in a a grey-zone as far as copyright infringement. So I must say I admire your chutzpah. Still, some people may go for the official product line <BR>Cheers, k

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 03:56 AM
Rex

Orchestration? Well, it is hardly rocket science. You can have as many windows open to this board as you like simultaneously. Get all your answers ready, and then click "post", click "post", click "post", etc... <BR> <BR>It probably IS copyright infringement. <BR> <BR>And spottings will surely be rare indeed, I have received 15 "orders", of which 9 want "regular", 6 "PA". <BR> <BR>For those who are interested in such mundane matters, the original PAlogo page has had 120 page views (43 in February, 77 in March), the preliminary design 74 page views in 3 days, and the prototype has had 28 page views in 9 hours. Strictly guessing, I think this represents 2-5% of the number of visitors to the Fodors site overall. <BR> <BR>The overwhelming evidence is that this whole silly topic appeals to a VERY small number of "us". <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 05:11 AM
Rex

Not that this is surprising, but the waking/sleeping habits of US residents (with a predominance in Eastern and central time zones - - simply because there is more population there) drive certainpatterns onthis forum, and probably overall on much of the internet. <BR> <BR>Page views for the prototype <BR> <BR>11 pm-midnight: 9 <BR>midnight-8 am: 21 <BR>8 am-9 am: 11 <BR> <BR>Thus, so far, this page ("LogoPin") is taking off faster than its three predecessors ("PAlogo", "Circling", "RibbnPin"). <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 05:24 AM
easterner

I must have really screwed up your records. Though not interested in having one, I did look up the site showing the photo of the pin last night. The sight of the red-diapered rubber man floating in a sea of blue made me drowsy, so I walked out and went to bed, forgetting to shut down windows. The page was still there when I got up. So your records may show that someone gazed upon your handiwork for 8 long hours. Not so.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 05:30 AM
Howard

Rex, when do you work? Or don't you?

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 05:37 AM
Rex

Easterner, <BR> <BR>Except for webpages which monitor your computer's activity (require a "log in" and a "log out" - - like hotmail.com), the internet doesn't really work that way. A page view gets logged when you ask to see a page - - it's like asking for someone to fax you a page of something. No one knows how long you sit there looking at that page. <BR> <BR>And Howard - - I work days, generally, some nights, some weekends. This happens to be a very slow week. And it is an easy week to jump in on the board from my workday just about anytime I want. But I really ought to get some work done soon this morning. <BR> <BR>Probably, this will also be reflected in the habits of other Fodorites' visitation. I expect that page views will fall back off during the hours of nine-to-five, eastern time, US. <BR>

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 07:49 AM
Rex

A smaller mid-morning "fall-off" than I expected: <BR> <BR>9 am-noon: 25, brings the total page views to 66. <BR>

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 09:27 AM
Thyra

Rex... you crazy guy, got to get one!!! Can I wear it in NYC

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 10:13 AM
s.fowler

Re: Easterner <BR> <BR>I assume Rex is using the Geocities site statistics feature. There are site meters that will record the length of your visit -- www.sitemeter.com is one of them.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 10:16 AM
Rex

Sally, you are correct - - I am simply using the geocities site statistics facility. I have no motivation to want to "study" this in any further detail. <BR>

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 10:59 AM
Rex

I rather feared that someone might sabotage the statistics - - as apparently has happened. Jumped from 66 at noon up to 142 at 2 pm. Easy enough to "run up" the numbers, by just clicking "refresh". Each time you do that, it counts as another page view. Oh well, that's what I get for focusing on that as a reason to keep topping this thread. <BR> <BR>If nothing else, it illustrates why there is a cottage industry of independent web page statistic auditors. <BR>

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 12:03 PM
Rex

The page views have now jumped to 381, and by the singular obsessive efforts of this (presuambly one) prankster (who must have a lot of time to kill, with nothing better to do), it is now possibly to see the rest of the trees for this one pesron's "forest" - - since 75% of the page views have come from someone using MSIE 5.5 at 1280x1024 (there were almost none of those before this pattern emerged). <BR> <BR>From this, I deduce that 25% of 381 (or about 95) of the page views are "legitimate" - - in only 16 hours. <BR> <BR>A phenomenal response from "everybody else" - - and I appreciate the interest (even if no one ever wants an actual pin). <BR> <BR>And if you do - - your "chain letter'd" e-mail to me will be warmly received. <BR> <BR>Just a nice - - albeit kooky - - guy... <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 12:39 PM
mmyy

Here's thirty-five cents, Rex. Call someone who cares.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 01:14 PM
babble

I don't know how to tell you this, Rex, but you are no longer pompous. No, Rex, you are inane!

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 01:44 PM
Maira

Rex--- it looks GREAT! I'll be mailing you with some requests. Thank you for taking on a great idea and making it happen. I believed that what separates the men from the boys..... <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 01:52 PM
Rex

mmyy - - you're right <BR>babble - - you're right <BR> <BR>and Maira - - you're a GENIUS!!! <BR> <BR>Ever so humbly... <BR> <BR>da man!!! <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 04:20 PM
Rex

Thyra, <BR> <BR>Well, of course you can get one. And wear it in gotham? Absolutely. E-mail me with mailing address, quantity and "Regular" or "PA". <BR> <BR>Sorry I didn't answer this earlier. <BR> <BR>Crazy like a fox... <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -