Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Revised Itinerary - Is it possible, five countries in 9 weeks?

Old May 3rd, 2011, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally, a revised itinerary, I’m breaking it into sections, then will probably have to put each section up as threads plus a couple of threads about the travel in between.
We will hire or lease a car from Paris and return it to Paris – seems easiest with 2 daughters (9 & 13) and convenient for flights (already booked)
Well, here goes:
Part 1 Paris – 3 nights arrived 17th October 2011
Part 2 travel to Murren - 2 nights on the way
Part 3 Switzerland – Murren? - 5 nights
Part 4 travel to Bavaria – don’t know what route – 1 night on the way.
Part 5 Germany – Bavaria – Mittenwald? – 5 nights
Part 6 Austria - Salzburg and stay – 3 nights
Part 7 Vienna – 3 nights
Part 8 Lake Como – 6 nights
Part 9 Venice – 3 nights
Part 10 Tuscany – 6 nights
Part 11 Rome – 4 nights
Part 12 Amalfi coast – 4 nights
Part 13 Travel to French Riviera – 1 night on the way
Part 14 French Riviera & Povence/Alpes/Cote d’Azur – 5 nights
Part 15 Loire Valley – 3 nights
Part 16 Paris – 7 nights – Euro Disney 2 or 3 day pass. Flyout 20th December 2011

For most of the longer distances, ie, Paris to Murren, Murren to Mittenwald and Amalfi to French Riviera, I have allowed and night or two to get to the next stop.
For Vienna to Lake Como – I hope to be able to drive there in a day.

Questions
1. Do the times allowed look doable?
2. I have tried to use certain places as a base, eg I was thinking of Part 14, staying in Eze and day-tripping around, will that work?
3. When do the Christmas markets start?
4. I have put Switzerland before Bavaria because I’m hoping to get up the mountains for a ‘walk’ if weather permits and the lifts/chairs etc are open – if not a train ride, fantastic views and a hot chocolate will have to suffice!!
5. Are there sections that should be swapped around for weather or other reasons?

I appreciate any help, thanks....
Old May 3rd, 2011, 06:02 PM

Have you bought your plane ticket yet? If the answer is NO..Buy an Open jaw ticket..Land in Paris and depart from Rome or viceversa..

You could do France ,Bavaria, Austria and Switzerland first,then travel to Venice,Como,Tuscany, Amalfi Coast and Rome..

Have fun....
Old May 3rd, 2011, 06:15 PM

What a fabulous trip!
I understand your car strategy precludes the open jaw---good idea.
Vienna to Como is too far---I would do Venice after Vienna. Have a great time and report back.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Kismetchimera, tks but the ticket is booked, the open jaw tickets were going to add quite a bit to the trip and this way it works to return the car, as bobthenavigator has noted, to the same city.
Also I've been on another post over the last couple of days which has advised that a lot of access via cablecars/chairlifts etc are closed during November, that's why Switzerland is coming in earlier.. Thanks for the input and the slight re-shuffle!
Bobthenavigator, Thanyou too, I'm looking at the Venice then como thing - good idea, KC (above) threw that one in too. I shall get back to work on it and look into viamichelin or something like that to get some kms, times and budget worked out!!
Anyone know if the Christmas markets start in November or earlier???
Old May 3rd, 2011, 08:58 PM

The German Christmas Markets begin the 1st of Advent, thus, 4 weeks before Christmas. Medium to large cities will have them the whole 4 weeks, small towns will have them just one weekend, sometime during those 4 weeks.

This website lists the markets, towns and dates in each German State, though it is all in German.
http://www.weihnachtsmaerkte-in-deutschland.de/
Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Mainhattengirl, thanks so much, I've heard a lot about the markets, here in Australia they are actually advisertising whole tours based on visiting Europes Christmas markets! I'll see how I go with the translator, I'm really looking forward to it, all those twinkly lights!! thanks again..
Old May 4th, 2011, 03:29 AM

I'd encourage you to try to stay in apartments as much as possible. You should be able to find apartments for less than a week in the cities, and since you're traveling in the off-season, it may also be possible to get shorter rentals in other areas. Apartments are especially great for families because you have more room to spread out and can cook some meals at "home."

I have no idea what you'll find on the Amalfi Coast at that time of year. I'd probably omit that part of the trip and add the time to your other stays. You could get your Mediterranean experience in France.

Kathy

Kathy
Old May 4th, 2011, 08:01 PM

Fewer places with more time in each! Leave something to come back to. Forget the car. Driving in the spring in Europe is no fun at times. December maybe not so much with the snow. Buy a Eurail Pass (See Rick Steves' website) and travel overnight to some of the destinations and sleep while you travel. Time to talk and be with the family on the train and see Europe go by. Cars are good in more rural areas, rent at the train station and drop it off there. Avignon to Paris via train with the car rental places right at the TGV station after you have explored Provence. Open jaw ticket a MUST along with train pass. Get the car through the same agency, I like SIXT in Europe. Call them and make all the reservation at the same time and ask for a discount but do your research first on the costs and the cars available. You will get one! Travel light with no more than one bag per person. Settle in, become a temporary local and get a feel for the pace of life and the people/culture that you are visiting. And finally, have a GREAT time!
Old May 4th, 2011, 11:11 PM

A lease makes sense in your case, either a Renault or a Peugeot. I would decide on the car size and choose whichever is cheaper.

http://www.renaultusa.com/SelectRe.asp

http://www.autofrance.net/Rates.aspx