Revervations for overnight trains?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know of a website (or another method) where I can make advance reservations for an overnight train (Florence to Vienna)? I have tried the one I know of (http://mercurio.iet.unipi.it/misc/timetabl.html), and while it looks like it is possible to book online for some routes, this particular train is "not available for online purchase." I'm assuming I will need to reserve in advance, and I'm nervous about waiting until we get to Florence. We'll be there for 4 days--is that "advance" enough for early July?
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 05:41 PM
BKD

I haven't booked anything yet but I called the US office of raileurope.com. The representative was incredibly helpful. Compared point to point travel to the cost of rail passes and put together an itinery including overnight sleeping trains. She said that most of the trains can't be booked until 60 days from the date of travel so I'd have to call back closer to when we wanted to go. I've pretty much decided to book all trains through them. I found some of the national railway sites to be confusing and didn't translate well. These folks answered all of my questions.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 01:14 AM
ira

Hi Peggy,

I tried to purchase the ticket on www.trenitalia.com/en. They won't do it.

I think the problem is that it is an international train, so that you have to buy the ticket in Italy or through an agent.

If not getting a reservation on a particular train is going to mess up your trip, pay the extra for the tickets in advance.

Check with http://www.euraide.de/ They might be cheaper than Raileurope.

Old Feb 1st, 2004, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions. I'll wait until I'm within that 60 day guideline, and then try raileurope. Since I'm traveling with my late-70's parents (on their first trip to Europe), I think I'll play it safe and get tickets in advance.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 12:31 AM

I have not purchased through RailEurope, but others on this site have commented that their prices are very high.

Another way to get the tickets is to ask the concierge at your hotelk in Florence to buy them. They will charge the tickets to your room. I have done this most everywhere I travel, and have found that it works very well. I have never even been charged a service charge by the hotel for this. I also have used them to buy concert and theatre tickets, again with no problem.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 06:13 AM

Peggy, do a little homework before you buy from RailEurope. A knowledgable travel agent at your local AAA can do the same bookings without additional charges.