Online Purchase at Trenitalia

Jun 28th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Online Purchase at Trenitalia

I tried to book our train tickets online with Trenitalia. No luck with using my US creditcard. Please need suggestions on how to go about doing an online train ticket purchase in Italy. Thanks in advance!
Jun 28th, 2010, 09:14 AM

Hello, svarcue, from all reports here on Fodor's people with US credit cards cannot purchase tickets online with Trenitalia. A few people have posted I believe that they had their hotel buy their train tickets and the hotel put the charge on person's US credit card. I don't imagine too many hotels would do this but as a friend in Italy always says "it cost nothing to ask". Well that is true if you email your hotel and not phone them, lol.

There was a few threads quite some time ago about an agency in Italy that a few US Fodorites used to have them buy their train tickets. I don't remember if the agency charged a service fee of not. I tried to find at least one of the threads in the Search Box some months ago without any success.
Jun 28th, 2010, 09:30 AM

I just purchased my train tickets on www.italiarail.com as I could not purchase through Trenitalia.
I've also heard you can buy them on www.raileurope.com

Most people say that you don't need to buy train tickets ahead of time, but I went ahead and did it just in case.....
Jun 28th, 2010, 09:40 AM

ItaliaRail and Rail Europe are ticket resellers. If you buy tickets from either one, you will pay more.

With the exception of major holidays, daytime trains in Italy that require reservations rarely sell out. No reservations are possible on regional trains and they cannot sell out. If all seats are taken on regional trains, people are allowed to stand. Buy your tickets when you get to Italy. The station ticket machines have an English option and they do accept US credit cards. No need to stand in line at a ticket window. If you want to play it safe, buy your tickets one or two days in advance.
Jun 28th, 2010, 09:42 AM

One exception: If you're going to take a night train, then book ASAP at either Italia Rail or Rail Europe. Popular night trains can sell out weeks in advance.
Jun 28th, 2010, 09:42 AM

Yup no need of buying early just to guarantee being on a train IME of decades of travel on Italian trains - the only reasons to buy online would be to snatch the discounted tickets that need to be booked 7 days or so in advance and are sold in limited numbers. But there are so so many trains - 2 an hour on the Naples-Rome-Florence-Milan high-speed line for example.
But i understand angst of folks not having been in Italy and bought tickets - could seem daunting - but the automatic ticket machines in stations seem easy enough to use and do, oddly enough, take American credit cards (to my knowledge still do) but if going to a ticket window you could face long lines - if you want to book in advance still i always suggest contacting the helpful folks at www.budgeteuropetravel.com, a RailEurope agent i believe, who i have bought railpasses from for years and who will pateintly answer any questions even if not buying IME. You can check prices at raileurope.com or www.italiarail.com in dollars with those on www.trenitalia.com and see what the cost differential is for buying early and having a ticket and just having to board the train - sometimes the price differential may not be that much IME. But again you will be able to book any train upon arrival - due to their being so so many trains.
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the information. We are thinking of getting tickets when we get there. Just one scenario: what if I ask a friend to purchase the tickets for us? He lives in europe with european creditcard. Will this work or the creditcard used has to match the ticket purchase ( just like the airlines?)Thanks again everyone! Appreciate this!
Jun 28th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Just another thing I forgot to ask: does anyone know if ticket is purchase when we get to the station, will we still get the family discount? Is the online price much cheaper compared to purchasing in advance online at Trenitalia? I know its hopeless to purchase online with Trenitalia as long as I only have US credit card I just want to know these certain informations. Thanks!
Jun 28th, 2010, 09:31 PM

Here is a site showing how to use the "new" ticket machine.

http://www.roninrome.com/%20transpor...a-train-ticket

When people talk about "easy to use", "takes credit card", they are referring to these "new" ticket machines. The stations also have "old" ticket machines often next to the "new" machines. The "old" machines tend to have shorter lines, but they don't take big bills or credit cards. Also, they are not "easy to use," either. Here is the video http://www.webvisionitaly.com/catego...8&ref_item=375
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Greg. The websites you provided were so helpful.

To everyone who shared their thoughts and information, again, thank you so much! We just decided to purchase our tickets when we get there. The stress is not worth it dealing with Trenitalia. I have other stuff to stress about before we leave for this trip. We are sure going to enjoy our much needed vaca!
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:28 AM

No personal experience, but nothing I've read on the Trenitalia site suggests that you cannot get the family discount when you buy tickets at a station. I think it's good for tickets bought at the last minute, not just for tickets booked in advance.