Train tickets for Italy

Dec 10th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Original Poster

Train tickets for Italy

Hi,

I am travelling to Italy in September - October 2010. I have been doing some research and was wondering it anyone has purchased train tickets on-line from the http://www.trenitalia.com site. I live in Canada and would it be easier to purchase the tickets from here on-line or wait to get to Italy and buy them at the train station. I would really like some advice.
Dec 10th, 2009, 02:44 AM
J62

You can save some money by buying discounted tickets online in advance, if you can get the trenitalia to accept your credit card.
Dec 10th, 2009, 03:03 AM

It is very easy to buy tickets when you are in Italy. We were in May and June and no lines (max. 3-4 persons). You can buy return tickets (if you need), and also you can buy all your tickets (if you need to travel in different days and directions) from one first train station in any town.

The train tickets is cheap in Italy, I think you have not worry about them and You can wait till you are there.
Dec 10th, 2009, 03:11 AM
ira

Hi AP,

Trenitalia's online system has been having difficulties accepting most CC's that aren't from European banks.

It isn't difficult to purchase tickets if the computer will allow you to. Give it a try.

If that doesn't work, as noted, it isn't difficult to purchase tickets in Italy, either.

Enjoy your visit.

Dec 10th, 2009, 05:30 AM

If you can get Trenitalia to accept your credit card (doubtful) you have to be within a certain time frame to purchase. For the faster trains you are supposed to be able to purchase within a four month window. If your trip involves an R train (or combo fast and R train) it won't allow the purchase unless you are within a week of travel. Some routes to smaller towns will only be served by R trains and on others the bus is a better/faster option. Depends on your itinerary.

Trenitalia changes schedules twice a year (mid-Dec and mid-June) and sometimes specials/offers. I would check in June after the summer schedules are entered to see if they are any seasonal deals added.
Dec 16th, 2009, 10:29 AM

They have put 'base' fares up significantly in the last few years as they introduced their new high-speed trains, and introduced airline-style -15%, -30% and even -60% discounts if you pre-book.

Pre-booking at www.trenitalia.com is therefore the cheaper option, IF it'll accept your credit card of course. Mine (a UK-issued card) works fine, though I get a call from my bank's fraud department within 24 hours of uisng it!