Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rethinking my late September vacation in Madrid/Andalusia – Italy instead?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2017, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there:

I made a rookie travel mistake – I got so excited about the trip planning, that I failed to check the temperatures!

My niece drew my attention this week to the fact that temperatures in Andalusia can be extremely high – she was there a few years ago in late September and experienced temperatures in the high 80s/low 90s. Given that I am most comfortable with temperatures in the mid-70s, this is causing me to rethink the trip and to put it off until late October/early November.

I am thinking of Florence/Umbria/Le Marche instead, where the temperatures are lower. I’ve been there before, but several years ago. I am now thinking of a few days in Florence, then basing myself in Perugia perhaps, and visiting Assisi, Spoleto, Spelo etc.

I have started reading the guide books and trip reports. If any of you can point me to your
Umbria/Le Marche or even Tuscany trip reports, I’d appreciate it.

Many thanks … Ger
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I should add that I am planning 10-12 days, without a car. From initial research, the area appears to be very easy to do by train.

regards
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 04:33 AM

Hi there

We are off to Le Marche again next month!

Our trip reports are here, in order

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...t-do-italy.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rche-lucca.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-dolomites.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-le-marche.cfm

Happy planning!
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 04:33 AM

I think you will struggle in Le Marche without a car though.
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 04:36 AM

Umbria is a lot like Tuscany in that it may look like train stations are in the cities and town, but the town is way up on a hill. A long hike. Umbria is so pretty that driving around is an advantage for really enjoying the region. Some of the larger cities like Perugia should be easier by train, but from what Ive read, its still a long way up to the centro.

My old trip report from 2005 is here so check it out for the Umbria portion which was last..
Happy to answer questions! Enjoy the planning!
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you guys:

Always love reading your trip reports Jamie . Yes, I thought I would struggle in Le Marche without a car.

Dayle: In my previous vists to Umbria, I did drive around and enjoyed the wonderful countryside. As a result, I spent little time in the towns, so this might provide a balance. Thanks, need to check out the transportation from train station to historic centers.
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 05:45 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
There are taxis in Spello thay could drive you up the hill.
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 06:07 AM

Hi Ger,

We enjoyed these three cities - Orvieto, Arezzo, and Lucca:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...a-and-rome.cfm
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 06:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoyed Le Marche last summer but I think it would be difficult without a car. We drove from Umbria, crossing the Sibillini via the Piano Grande, to Ascoli Piceno.
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 09:38 AM

Ah, well then , yes Ger. a training trip might work.

I loved staying In tiny Spello at the Palazzo Bocci. Check recent reviews of course. Visited Assisi, Todi, Gubbio, Deruta. Would love to return and see the Piano Grande in spring, and Perugia.
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 10:01 AM

There are usually busses from train to hitoric centre - definitely in Perugia.
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 10:37 AM

Just to mix things up, Bologna, Verona, Padua. easy from Florence or Milan. Flatter.
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 10:49 AM

Umbria is better equipped with escalators, elevators and bus connections to take you from train stations to the center of town. The trickier issue is whether the train schedules really cooridinate well with the opening times of what you plan to do.

For instance, staying in Perugia, your choice of morning trains for Spoleto is either 7.15am or 10am -- and the latter train arrives in Spoleto at 11am, so by the time you get to the centro you don't have a whole lot of time for sightseeing before everything starts to close for lunch (for instance, the duomo closes at 12.30).

That sort of thing.

Might make sense to road trip if you don't mind changing hotels -- or pick a one city or area where there is a lot to see and do that interests you without needing to take long train rides trips. Late September is a great time to visit Napoli and its surrounds, or Padova has a lot to offer both in itself and in the immediate area, as does Genova. But obviously these are very different from Umbia in style, cuisine, you name it.
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 03:35 PM

Massimop makes a good point. We've twice vacationed in Umbria, both times with a car. Most towns sort of shut down after lunch, and museums, churches, and shops often close until mid-afternoon. It makes touring somewhat more challenging. We would go to one place in the morning and leave after lunch, driving to another spot for mid-afternoon. Without the flexibility of a car, you might find it challenging.
Old Jun 19th, 2017, 06:48 PM

" late September and experienced temperatures in the high 80s/low 90s. Given that I am most comfortable with temperatures in the mid-70s,"

It's unusual for Italy to hit the 90s late September but mid to high 80s aren't that uncommon.

Your idea of going to Spain later in the year increases your risk of rain.
Old Jun 19th, 2017, 10:23 PM
kja

First things first – I’m sorry that I (and others) didn’t note or comment on the weather when you originally posted. Frankly, the temperatures in Madrid and Andalusia have generaly “cooled” (if one can call it that!) enough by late Sept. that I assumed you were OK with the temperatures. My apologies.

If you can defer your trip until October, I think you will find the temperatures a bit more comfortable. If you haven’t already done so, please check wunderground.com for climate statistics, and consider average daily highs and low, precipitation, and sunrise and sunset times.

I think it really depends on what you want to see. FWIW, I think Andalusia well suited to a 10-day visit, so you could easily visit that area (using public transportation only) and return to Madrid in time for a night before your departure flight. If you choose to spend less time in Andalusia, you could add day trips from Madrid – one or two nights in Toledo, a night in Segovia, not to mention time in magnificent Madrid itself.

Whether you choose to go to Spain or Italy, note that some places will be closed for a long siesta. In Spain, many things are closed on Monday, and often for all or part of Sundays too; and many things in Spain will also be closed daily for a very long mid-day break.

Hope that helps!
Old Jun 20th, 2017, 02:09 AM

Right what kja says about mid-day breaks and many things closed on Sunday. That's because then "all of Spain" is having a huge lunch with colleagues, friends or family. Especially the Sunday lunch is a highlight of the week for many locals, starts with some drinks and tapas and then goes into an often several hours long and laid-back lunch with familiy and friends of all ages.

So when everything except the restaurants are closed, it's because then Spain is at its finest ;-)

Temperatures will most probably not be that bad by the end of September. Statistics for wonderful Málaga city by the Med says average highs at 77F and lows at 63F in late September. The same numbers for Madrid are highs 75F and lows 57F.
http://www.wetteronline.de/klima-temperatur/malaga
http://www.wetteronline.de/klima-temperatur/madrid

Very much recommend Málaga city, Andalucía's "city of culture with its so-called 'mile of art' being compared to Madrid, and its dynamism and fine dining to Barcelona."
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/spain/andalucia/malaga
Old Jun 20th, 2017, 10:03 AM

So you think Italy will be cooler than Spain ? Good luck !!
Old Jun 20th, 2017, 11:30 AM

It will be if you are comparing Florence and Perugia to Andalucia, or even Madrid, most likely. Seville is the real outlier, it won't be bad at night but could be 90F in afternoon during September. Madrid in the mid-80s probably.
Old Jun 20th, 2017, 03:15 PM

I use wunderground for weather statistics and reviewed the past 3 years for Seville - it was high 80s, low 90's last half of September. Florence was low 70's. Guess it depends on what website you use, but I like actual historical data rather than an average graph.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -