Notices

Restaurants near Gloucester rd.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 07:42 PM
Keith

Restaurants near Gloucester rd.

After thinking of skipping London on our England trip in January we have come across an exceptional price on a Hotel.
Its the Millennium Baileys next to Gloucester rd tube. The normal price is as much as 250 pounds per night. We got a rate directly from Millennium web site of only 85 pounds. We feel we can't pass it up.
What we need now is to find some good budget priced restaurants. In particular a place close by that serves a good English breakfast. Our room rate does'nt include breakfast, and as one might expect its expensive at the hotel.

Many thanks

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 11:28 PM
james

I don't know of any specific names, but I used to live just off Gloucester Road, and there are loads of eating places to suit all pockets around that area. Actually, thinking about it - I think the Texas Lone Star Restaurant is still going - great burgers, cheap etc..

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 04:50 AM
oldorch

keith
there is cafe flo right there that isn't bad...there is also a tiny deli-like shop that serves breakfast and lunches that is outstanding (right across from the starbucks). it is my favorite food fast food shop in london. my sister lives on gloucester road so if you want ill call her and get a few more recommendations.

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 07:06 AM
John

There are several places on the Gloucester Road - a Burger King, Starbucks, two 24 hour markets, as well as a few cafes. All should meet your needs.

Have you checked into the Millennium Bed and Breakfast rates? A friend of mine stayed at the Gloucester and was able to book a BB rate that included VAT. The whole price per night turned out to be cheaper than the least expensive room (which included nothing but the room) plus tax!

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 07:34 AM
Therese

We stayed at the Millenium Baileys/Gloucester this summer, and I wouldn't be too upset at the prospect of missing the hotel breakfast. Ours was included in the room rate, which was too bad as it was not great. The are lots of places you can eat fairly inexpensively within walking distance, including places that serve breakfast. Plus there's a Waitrose grocery in the shopping center that's attached to the tube station where you can easily put together meals (including breakfast) if you're really trying to economize.

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 03:59 PM
Keith

Great information. Thank you.

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 07:10 PM
Mel

Around the corner from your hotel is La Scala Romana--very good Italian. Attached to the hotel is an excellent chinese restaurant, but I'm sorry, the name escapes me.

Across the street, in the Holiday Inn (the skyscraper, not the small one), which used to be the Forum hotel, is a surprisingly good English-style pub frequented by locals. They do a nice roast beef dinner. Also in that hotel is the Gloucester Cafe, which has very good soups.

In the small arcade attached to the tube station is an ASK. Great pizza!