Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Do you eat breakfast out when traveling (staying at Motels)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went on a long trip by car across the country and stayed at many motels and hotels. Usually the hotels had vastly overpriced breakfast buffets which were jammed with travelers. We would get something at the grocery store and bring it to our room. I suspect that most people just eat out and spend the money, how about you?
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 11:07 AM
GoTravel

I rarely eat breakfast but when I do if I'm not on an expense account, we go out.

However, if I'm staying over a weekend at some place that is famous for brunch, we'll eat there.

When we road trip, I always have a stash of fruit and power bars for my husband.

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 11:12 AM

Depends on where I am and what I'm scheduled to do.In the Dallas area I have many friends.If I can I try to meet some of them for breakfast, as many of them cant meet for dinner.If I'm in that area on a Wednesday fro example I go to Mama's, a diner in Carrollton.Plain jane but I like eating there when the ROMEO'S meet for breakfast.They like to come over and chat and know what us young whipper snappers are up to(still 6 ft tall havent growed any!!).Or the IHOP up on Plano Parkway or even the cafeteria at the new hospital there..My ego goes wild at that hospital, I was mistaken for some fancy famous French yahoo in for some sort of once in a lifetime operation...Told the nurse I cant even hold the clippers still to trim my nails.But good food. I dont take food back to my room.I always carry a tooth brush/toothpaste in my back pack.So I can brush after breakfast anywhere.Gotta keep my perlies white ya know.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 11:14 AM
TahitiTams

I rarely eat breakfast but on vacation or road trip, its a must.
When we stay at places with the breakfast at the conceirge level, I definately go for it but sometimes they are packed so you have to go either after the rush..
Never go to the grocery store unless their is a Starbucks which I only go to on vacation.
I always go for the 2 eggs, hash browns and toast for $2.99 or the grand slam at Denny's that they don't put on the menu but they still have it.

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 11:18 AM

DH and I have done alot of traveling. I do not eat breakfast, but he has to have something. Usually the motels we stay at have a continental breakfast, which does him just great, and if not we usually have to stop to fill up, and he will pick up something at the convenience store.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 11:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
What's with all the crazy questions all of a suddent, travelguru1? You writing a book or something?

To answer the question, no I don't go to "overpriced breakfat buffets".
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 11:47 AM
TahitiTams

Suze and BeachBoi...LOL

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 12:03 PM

I travel in the US with a toaster! And, we buy fruit and yogurt as we go along. Most motels have refrigerators these days, which is helpful.

We seldom eat breakfast out. But last weekend we were staying at a motel where we were awakened at 4:45 by the sound of people walking around overhead. Turned out our room was under the breakfast room!

We checked out daring them to charge us for the night and went to Denny's--something we haven't done in years.

It was Sunday morning, so no $2.99 special was available, but we did get in on the "before 6:00 a.m. special" of two eggs, hash browns, two sausage, two bacon, and two pancakes for $4.99.

I hadn't eaten pancakes in many years. That was fun--you know, making lemonade out of the lemons we got at the motel.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 12:59 PM

My husband and I usually eat in a pleasant cafe nearby. We consider that part of our experience.

Sandy
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 01:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Actually I very much enjoy eating breakfast out on vacation (which I rarely get to do at home). But I go to a nice cafe or restaurant, not a buffet at a motel.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 01:44 PM

We like to loll around in our room reading the newspaper and having a breakfast composed of the foods we usually eat at breakfast and not the sweet stuff on many motel buffets or the grease-bombs dished up most breakfast places.

We go to Denny's, or its ilk, only once every few years.

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 02:00 PM

We usually try to stay at motels that have the breakfast buffet. We tend to eat the same things we do at home - cereal, fruit, juice and coffee. We save the calories for a nice dinner out.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 02:17 PM

My answer is "it depends"

We don't eat a full breakfast as a matter of course, so coffee, juice, and cereal or an english muffin is generally just fine. So if we stay in a motel/hotel with a complimentary breakfast, we usually get something from there.

For longer road trips, we always bring an ice chest for picnics and snacks anyway, so we will often have breakfast things in there as well.

And sometimes we eat out - coffee house or a cafe w/full breafast.

The only time I will pay to eat a hotel breakfast is if I am really hungry and there isn't a reasonable option close by - unless of course, the hotel is known for its breakfasts and they are really good.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 02:26 PM

It depends with me also on road trips. If there isn't a complimentary breakfast at our motel, we usually have a cooler with yogurt/fruit/granola and eat that for breakfast. Then we'd stop for an early lunch.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 02:27 PM

We'll normally only eat breakfast if we are staying at someplace that has the free continental or expanded continental breakfast like Best Western, Marriott Residence Inn, etc.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 03:33 PM

Breakfast is really annoying to me when we travel - so I also try to book hotels with breakfast included.

Husband likes nice leisurely breakfast, read the paper - expensive and time consuming. I am the morning person and a cup of coffee plus maybe a piece of fruit, granola bar - and I want to get out of the hotel.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 03:43 PM

I never skip breakfast. On the road, I eat granola, dried cranberries, almonds and skim milk. If I feel like splurging I might eat at a place famous for its breakfasts. Yesterday I stopped in Petunia's for my last NOLA meal. I figured a good omelette would hold me till I got home to Pinnacle. Sadly, I had a cold omlette and wished like heck I had stuck with my normal hotel room breakfast......
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 03:48 PM

We try to stay at a Holiday Inn Express where a breakfast buffet is always available. If a HIE is not where we plan to stop, then we we look for a local family mom and pop type place to eat. Definately no fast food places.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 04:04 PM

cmc - I'm sorry you had a cruddy breakfast at Petunia's. I haven't tried it, but their breakfasts are supposed to be really good. We did have their gumbo, which was very tastey though.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 04:08 PM

LaQuinta has the best free breakfast buffet IMO followed by HI Express and some Hamptons. I usually just get juice and a hard boiled egg.

Now, on road trips, NOTHING is better than getting an early start and then pulling over a couple of hours later for a full breakfast. It's about the only time I eat a "real" breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -