Restaurants in Rome

Search

Restaurants in Rome

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2019, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurants in Rome

I will be spending a week in Rome in mid May. Does anyone have recommndations for good restaurants for a foodie? I’m staying just south of Piazza del Popolo; walking distance would be nice but not necessary.

Last edited by bailey123; May 1st, 2019 at 06:15 PM. Reason: reposting
Old May 2nd, 2019, 12:23 PM

After traveling in Italy since 1980 I've learned a few strategies that have served me well:
1. If you see a restaurant featuring pictures of their dishes-keep walking.
2. If you see a restaurant sign indicating they speak many languages-keep walking.
3. You could google your inquiry and review the results.
4. You could consult tripadvisor.com.
5. We generally eat dinner around 6:30 at home, but many restaurants in Italy do not begin serving before 7:30 and the Italians usually eat dinner around 8:30 or later. The
restaurants in Roma may serve before 7:30 due to the many tourists.
6. Do not leave a tip. They charge a cover called, "pane e coperto," which means bread and cover. It's a fee you pay to sit and eat at the table, plus the bread and it is per
person.
7. We are severely addicted to gelato and eat it every night we are in Italy. A general tactic we follow is to patronize a gelatoria if we see the words, " artigiani or fatto in
casa." Artigiani means artisan and fatto in casa means homemade or made on the premises.

Buon viaggio e mangiate bene,
Old May 2nd, 2019, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks rbciao47, I too have experience with Italy and your basic tips. I guess I didn’t phrase my question very well. I was hoping to get some recent restaurant experiences as food quality of various restaurants change with changes in “back of house”. I too have a gelato addiction and agree it is a daily requirement when near a good gelateria
Old May 2nd, 2019, 09:07 PM

A Fodorite recommended that we try Bella Napoli at Via Simone de Saint Bon 57. We did and loved it - the kind if place full of locals, not tourists, but very friendly and kind to tourists who wander in. They must get plenty of tourist traffic as they appear on TripAdvisor, but it is authentic local food not touristic fare. Prices are quite reasonable and service good.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 02:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the course of several trips to Rome, I can only remember one poor meal.
Two places I consistently go back to are Restaurant Ai Spaghettari and Capo de Fero, both in Trastavere.

I'm not sure what a definition of a foodie, and neither of these restaurants is going to appear in a Michelin guide, but the food has always been excellent.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 03:46 AM

Bailey123,

I understood the intent of your query, but I hoped my shared experience may keep you away from the places you shouldn't patronize. My favorite restaurant is La Amtriciana on Via Viminae across the street from the Roma Opera House. My favorite red sauce is amatriciana and the main ingredient is guanciale, cured hog jowl. Another place we liked was la Carbonara 1906 on Via Panisperna 214.

Generally, we've had very, very few bad meals in Italy.

Go and have fun!

Buon viaggio,