Half Orders of Pasta in Restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I obviously have too much time on my hands today. I have been thinking about my upcoming trip to Rome and about the food that awaits there and it ocurred to me that in all of the posts about eating in Italy and about saving money, very little mention is made of the fact that in many, if not most, restaurants, a diner can order a half-portion of pasta. I often do this, not necessarily to save money but so that I have room to
try an appetizer and a main dish as well as the pasta. I wonder if travelers unfamiliar with Italy realize that this can be done...
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 10:19 AM

No, I didn't...and I'll certainly make note of it for the future. Thanks!
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 11:16 AM

When we were in Italy we would order one pasta and one main dish. It worked very well for us and the restaurants did not mind.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Well that is fine, too, but if each person wants a different pasta, you can have the option of each ordering a half portion. I have to say that I would not go to a restaurant and ONLY order a half-order of pasta; as I said, I order a half pasta in connection with other things, because it allows me to sample smaller portions of more courses.
Just a thought..I am not trying to make a point here, just share information.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 12:47 PM

Didn't know about this . Very good tip. Personally I cannot resist pasta in Italy and invariably,that is the extent of my meal. Though I can usually manage a 'little Tiramasu'. A half-portion of pasta will allow some further indulgence!!!
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 01:32 PM

Do it all the time, particularly in Rome, but also have done in Naples and Venice.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 01:43 PM

I haven't been to Italy, but I have always understood that from eating in Italian restaurants elsewhere -- I think it is because pasta isn't considered the main course in Italy, as it often is in some US Italian restaurants, for example. It's just a course, along with the main dish and appetizer. So the idea wouldn't be to only order that and nothing else.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

I also do this in New York once in a while...not everyplace here will comply but in Italy I have never been refused.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 02:39 PM

How do you politely ask for a half portion in Italian? Don't find that in my phrase book.

Old Dec 11th, 2006, 02:45 PM

"una mezza porzione di pasta"
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 02:48 PM

Okay, if you want a full sentence:

"Vorrei una mezza porzione di pasta, per favore." (I would like a half portion of pasta, please).
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 08:36 PM

Whether you order a half-plate or whole plate, you might find that you're paying for the full plate. Many times the restaurants don't even mark the prices in the menu.

In my case I would ask for the second plate-I don't want to miss out my pasta plate.

Blackduff
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 02:48 AM
Original Poster

Blackduff I really cannot recall eating at a "restaurant" (as opposed to a market stand or hawker stall) where the prices were not marked on some sort of menu..with the exception perhaps of daily specials.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 04:25 AM

ekscrunchy
Almost all good hotel resataurants do not have the prices. In fact, a good hotel won't have the menu. The waiter will have a talk with you and you decide what they are cooking that day.

Good restaurants in Spain will do exactly the same. In both cases, it's part of the meal. Talking and discussing with the waiter is part of the meal. It's part of the pleasure.

Blackduff
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

I don't want to get into a dispute but I have stayed in many "good" hotels and honestly cannot recall an instance where there was no menu in the hotel restaurant. And yes, I understand that in Spain, especially at a seafood place, the chef tells you what is good that day, with no written menu (someday, someday I will make it to Roses so I can dine at Rafa's..); that is what I was referring to when I wrote that "daily specials" were an exception.

Oh..just remembered this happening at Les Pyrenees where Chef Arrambide came to our table and asked if we wanted him to do a menu for us...but there WAS a printed menu as well. I cannot recall any examples in a hotel where there was not a printed menu, with prices, in addition to any verbal arrangements with the chef.. Live and learn!