Reload this Page >

Restaurant Recommendations - Pula or Rovinj

Old Mar 4th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I don't normally ask for restaurant recommendations when I travel as I tend to find restaurants as I sightsee.

This year, though, I will be in Istria on my birthday and think that it should be a reason to celebrate! I can be in either Pula or Rovinja during that time (early September) and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a restaurant.

I would prefer a variety, as seafood is not my preference, but I am aware that it may be a popular menu item considering the location. Budget isn't a constraint, but lean towards a moderate budget (approximately 50Euro for the occasion).

Thanks!
Old Mar 4th, 2015, 12:20 PM

Would heartily recommend Monte in Rovinj.
Well worth the climb and if you are only two in number, they have a table on a small balcony, removed from the general dining area - very romantic if that's your thing (although I think the table may be principally for the use of smokers.....).
We found the food a bit different from the sometimes predictable fare on offer in town - without being too cheffy and overfussy.
Old Mar 4th, 2015, 02:07 PM

We had an excellent meal at Monte a few years ago. I'd forgotten the name of the restaurant until I read your post!
It may be a little beyond the 50 euro pp depending on the number of courses . If that is 50 euro for the meal, it will certainly be too rich.

Either way have fun.
Old Mar 4th, 2015, 05:23 PM
kja

Here's my old review of Santa Croce, in Rovinj, which still appears to get good reviews:

Rovinj – Santa Croce (Sv Križa 11) — Well worth finding!

Santa Croce is one of two restaurants that share a courtyard. The tables in front belong to the other restaurant; the tables on a terrace above that and in a room behind the terrace belong to Santa Croce. I began my dinner with risotto with scampi and wild asparagus. The serving was generous and the risotto was perfectly prepared — delicious! I followed that with a salad — a huge serving of lettuce, tomato, and feta garnished with red pepper. My waitress provided commendably friendly and attentive service and recommended a very nice wine. With bread, tap water, a bottle of white wine, and tip, this dinner was moderately expensive.
Old Mar 5th, 2015, 03:35 AM

We now live in Vrsar near Rovinj. There are a few decent restaurants in our village but not really worth the side trip.
In Rovinj there are many good restaurants to chose from, most with mainly seafood menus. One we love is Kantinon which is part owned by Tomislav Gretić, the head chef at Monte Mulini. The menu offers a good variety and the price will certainly be within your budget.
If you are in Pula, dine at the Amfiteatar terrace restaurant. They have a lovely setting next to the Roman Arena and the price will not break the bank there either.
It is hard to recommend restaurants as things can change quickly in that business, although we have been to those I mentioned recently.
Old Mar 7th, 2015, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Wonderful! Thank you for your suggestions!
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 06:21 PM
Doh

If you end up near Porec, one of our favorite meals in Croatia was Konoba Daniela.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 06:25 AM

I have heard that Wine Vault Restaurant in Rovinj is really nice. They have the largest wine list in Croatia.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 05:02 AM

Wine Vault is one of the two excellent restaurants in Monte Mulini Hotel, and as I mentioned above, Tomislav Gretić is the head chef.
Wine Vault offers high end dining with high end prices to match, though worth it if you really want to splurge.