Reload this Page >

Restaurant recommendations in Dublin/Ballintoy/Donegal

Notices

Old Mar 30th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's time to plan the nitty gritty of my June trip to Ireland. DH and I will be spending two nights in Dublin, two in Ballintoy (near the Giant's Causeway), and two in Donegal. Can anyone recommend a few moderately priced restaurants? We're looking for good pub food, nothing too exotic. Price range is around $12-$15 for a lunch sandwich/entree and $20 for a dinner entree (not including drinks etc.) Hopefully this is a realistic budget. In Dublin, we're looking for recs around St Stephen's Green, Temple Bar and Trinity College. The only places on our list so far are Queen of Tarts and the Lemon Crepe Co.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

topping...
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 09:05 AM

A few miles south of Donegal Town in Rossnowlagh is Smuggler's Creek. Gorgeous view and wonderful food. Get reservations for a table by the windows. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you - It looks like a great place!
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 04:52 AM

For Dublin there are a lot of places doing early bird menus now with 2-3 courses. Lemon crepe is nice but would not eat every day here and queen of Tarts is lovely but had a shoch when a scone and coffe for him and I has a breakfast and coffee was over 20 euro. I live here and feel prices at times are getting higher. For lunch in Temple bar you should try the IFI (Irish Film Institute) http://www.tascq.ie/eatingout.php?id=72 . Its Cafe style food and is great and filling.

Capuccino Bar on Crow st is fine for a lunch and you can sit outside on a nice day http://www.tascq.ie/eatingout.php?id=52
Menu is on this link

Gruel on Dame street is not pretty inside with mismatched chairs and tables but the food is fantastic and they have a roast meat roll of the day, soups and salads that are fresh and tasty. http://www.menupages.ie/restaurants/gruel.aspx

If you go acrosss the milennium bridge in Temple bar you will walk straight into Bloom Quarter where there are 2 moderately priced italian restaurants (Real Italian food!) and a wine bar and coffee shop. Bar Italia is the first on the right facing the Street, Bar Tabac on Left facing the street further is the Enoteca on left and caffee shop n right. All are good. Keep walking this laneway and cross the street you will see a shop vcalled Budda Bags and just past it is a cafe called Lemon. Nice sandwiches, you can sit outside and have a ine and its a good lunch spot to relax. From Temple bar take Eustace street to the Milennium Bridge. The map does not show the laneway but it exists just over the bridge <iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Dublin+Irelan d&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=32.66491,56.25&ie=UTF8&ll=53.350346 ,-6.263323&spn=0.006008,0.013733&z=14&output=embed"></iframe>
<small>View Larger Map</small>
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the excellent suggestions Siobhan! Would you happen to know if we can walk to these places from the Shelbourne near St Stephen's Green? It is difficult to tell the scale from looking at the map.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 05:08 AM

God yes Dublin is quite small and walkable. Are you staying at the shelbourne? My fav sunday eats are nearby on King street. Myself and husband often go to the Milennium Chinese on Sundays where they do a dim sun menu all day. You have to ask for it was they try to givve the main expensive menu first but its quite good in my opinion and myself and my chinese friends go here often.

Also for cafe Lunches with soups and sandwiches S William street is a good place. Busy Feet and Coco cafe is nice but the metro cafe across from it has outside seating, toasted sambos and is reasonable as well. Further down this street is Munchies (Sandwich eat in or out place) Lemon crepee is here as well and "Lunch" cafe does varied sandwiches, Calzone and soups.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Yes, we are staying at the Shelbourne. Thanks again for the recommendations!