Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dublin, good restaurants in Temple Bar area?

Notices

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going on an awards trip. For two nights that we will have free, they are providing shuttles to this area to walk around, have some drinks, and have a nice dinner. Any good restaurants to recommend? Not real fancy and not real expensive, just good food and nice service? We love seafood and wine, but will probably get lots of that when we travel on to Paris...Thanks.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Anybody? Help?
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 06:51 AM

There are a food good spots around this area:
Right in Temple Bar is Eden which is pretty good:
www.edenrestaurant.ie

More up-market, but with excellent food is The Mermaid on Dame Street, at the edge of Temple bar:
www.mermaid.ie

About 5 minutes walk from here, on South George's Street, is Cafe Bar Deli, a more casual place but with a very good standard of food and the kind of place you can order some drinks after dinner and spend some more time without being rushed by staff. They don't take bookings
www.cafebardeli.ie

This restaurant has another branch onGrafton Street (7 minutes walk from Temple Bar) and upstairs here is Mackerel, a fish restaurant, which is excellent and a lovely setting overlooking the Street, but books out early so try to make a reservation.
(see their part of above website).

All have decent wine lists.
Enjoy.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 07:28 AM

Les Freres Jacques on Dame Street is fantastic too and just a short walk from Temple Bar.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 08:51 AM

That last one sounds familiar. I think we maybe ate there 5 years ago.
Also, for the quintessential pub experience try Powerscourt. I'm sure they probably serve food too.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks you all. This gives me a great place to start looking. Am really looking forward to some good meals in Dublin. Is the city known for it's seafood? Any other specialties not to miss? Maybe I should start another thread on this.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 12:38 AM

Dublin is not famous for its seafood but as it is coastal and has a fully operational fishing fleet to the north of the city, it is well stocked with fresh seafood. On the way from Temple Bar to Grafton St. you pass a statue of Molly Malone, a character from an old Dublin song, who has a wheelbarrow full of 'cockles and musssels', so perhaps there is a history of seafood after all. If you are looking for seafood specifically it has to be Mackerel Restaurant from the list above. If you are looking for a good pint in a good setting my favourite is Peter's Pub - about 10 minutes walk from Temple Bar - friendly staff and patrons and it retains a bit of the charm that many Dublin pubs wallpapered over during boom-time. Enjoy.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 03:58 AM

Nice Italian Restaurant in Temple Bar, called, Il Barocco, I think its in Meeting House Square. I've been a few times and liked it.