Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Kinsale Restaurant (and other restaurant recommendations)

Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Will be in Kinsale for one night...know this is the gourmet capital of Ireland, and I am quite a foodie - would really like your recommendations for the restaurants not to miss in Kinsale - for both lunch and dinner. Also, will be in Dublin and Dingle - any thoughts here would be good too. Thank you!
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 02:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We'll be in all the same places in July, so I'd like to have the same info. Thanks.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 04:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fishy Fishy Cafe and Gourmet Store. Gorgeous! Open for lunch and dinner -
better book it though! Tel. (021) 4774453
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 04:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oops - should have said that Fishy Fishy is in Kinsale. In Dublin I would recommend the Mermaid Cafe in Dame Street, also Chapter One in Parnell Square and One Pico in Schoolhouse Lane off Molesworth Street. All expensive. For Lunch try Dunne & Crescenzi's, Trinity Street, the cafe in the Kilkenny Shop for a nice view over Dublin or the Porterhouse Pub in Temple Bar where they also brew their own beer.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 01:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We were in Kinsale last month for three nights. We ate at the Mad Monk Pub on the first night - great steaks and hamburgers. The wall art is whimsical and fun - be sure to peek in the ladies room.

Our second night was the best meal of the trip -Annelies Restaurant. The decor is wonderful and the service was great. While being the best meal it was also the most expensive, but not unreasonable.

Jim Edwards was our last stop. The food was good (mostly seafood), but it tends to get very crowded so go early or make reservations.

The locals highly recommend Fishy Fish Cafe and it looked very nice, but we ran out of time. Fellow travelers recommended Max's Wine Bar which also looked amazing. If you have the time, a trip to nearby Charles Fort is well worth it. If you are driving, be warned that Kinsale streets are a maze of narrow one-way avenues which can be intimidating - park and walk. You'll love it!!
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your recommendations. The big question is do I have to make a reservation now or can I wait to get there? I would like to wait, to also get the local's opinion when I'm there, but will this then not allow me to eat at some of the best in Kinsale?
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 02:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the info, we are going to Ireland soon and need all the help we can get.

Are any of these places child-friendly? We have a two year old and usually dine early and quickly because of it!

Thanks.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 12:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We also ate at the Mad Monk and really liked it. They had some great specials and it was tough to decide. The interior is really neat and I agree that a peek at the womens restroom is a must. Fishy Fishy has great reviews but I must warn you - it is only open for lunch and you should get there early.
We ate at Shrimps too and the Early Bird was a great deal by Ireland standards as far as cost.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 03:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Great Victorian Bar and restaurant Nancy Hands 30-32 Parkgate st. Dublin 8 (pub of the year 1999)